GRA

Re: IEVS: Is Percentage Of UK Motorists Considering Switch To EVs Decreasing?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:41 pm

downeykp wrote:
WetEV wrote:
GRA wrote:As I've noted,

As you ignored, BEV and PHEVs are growing at a fairly steady rate. Problems with charging are solvable. The future doesn't need to be New Urbanism and bicycles.

Everyone I know who has an ev charges at home.

Which, as previously noted, is an example of self-selection - those in the best position to benefit from a PEV are the ones who've chosen to do so. Why is this fact unexpected or controversial?

downeykp wrote:GRA just figures everyone lives in an apartment and does not have access to a plug. Most people I know have garages. Charging for them is not a problem. At least the ev owner has options when charging. If they cant do it at home they can charge at the tens of thousands charging stations all over the country.

I don't 'figure' everyone else lives in an apartment; the stats show that most urban dwellers worldwide live in apartments, condos, town/rowhouses. The U.S. is an exception to this, and even here, 44% (inverse % from Plug-in America survey that said 56% of U.S. households can charge at home) can't charge at home. Are you seriously suggesting that tens of thousands of charging points are sufficient to cover 44% of the 275 million vehicle fleet in this country? They can be added, but the process will be slow and expensive.

downeykp wrote:Hydrogen will NEVER have the saturation for charging that the ev owner has.

That's like saying that gas stations will never be able to provide for the entire fleet. If H2 is a commercial success, they can obviously do so, not that I've ever suggested that they need to, because BEVs will make up a large but unknown % of the total fleet.

downeykp wrote:GRA does not have a dime in the game so every article that is anti-ev he posts. Every pro-hydro article he finds he posts, (even though there aren't many). I am beginning to see a pattern.

Ah, number two this year for accusations of being anti-ev; that's about the average. Of course, that ignores all the posts I make that could only be considered pro-EV (which includes FCEVs), but oh, well.
Last edited by GRA on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Re: IEVS: Is Percentage Of UK Motorists Considering Switch To EVs Decreasing?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm

RonDawg wrote:
downeykp wrote:Everyone I know who has an ev charges at home. GRA just figures everyone lives in an apartment and does not have access to a plug. Most people I know have garages. Charging for them is not a problem. At least the ev owner has options when charging. If they cant do it at home they can charge at the tens of thousands charging stations all over the country.

To be fair, if my living situation meant I had to find a charging station and sit there for 30+ minutes everyday, I probably would not be a future EV owner. That's way too much an inconvenience IMHO. There would have to be other factors, like super-high petroleum prices, or Norway's new car taxing scheme that makes Honda Accords as expensive as Teslas, before I would put up with that. And that's without factoring in a problem with any public EVSE, and that is unavailability due to breakdown, or being hogged by a car that is done charging, or being ICEd, or simply too many people wanting to charge at the same time (which has even affected some Tesla Supercharger stations).

Right.

RonDawg wrote:Charging stations are multiplying, but they tend to be clustered in shopping centers, and not necessarily near to where people live. At least in my area, curbside public EVSE's have been slow to catch on. I can count on one hand how many there are in a 10 mile radius of my home. Maybe a 20 mile radius.

Charging problems are solvable, but it will take a whole lot of time and money to do so. If BEVs continue to improve in range/price/charging speed/infrastructure, the inconvenience factor decreases until at some point most people figure it's not a problem.

RonDawg wrote:
GRA does not have a dime in the game so every article that is anti-ev he posts. Every pro-hydro article he finds he posts, (even though there aren't many). I am beginning to see a pattern.

I don't agree with him sometimes, but I don't think he's "anti-EV."

Glad you think so. I am a supporter of ZEVs, just as I support renewables and all non-fossil fueled and less resource-intensive techs, but I also have no hesitation in discussing what I see are obstacles to wide-scale adoption of them, having worked with renewables at an early stage of their development and experienced the obstacles to their commercial success among the general public. You can't force people to adopt your preferred solution, unless (China) you can largely ignore public sentiment, so you need to provide people with options and let them choose which one(s) work best for them.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”