IEVS: Owning A Nissan LEAF Without A Home Charger: Is It Possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://insideevs.com/owning-nissan-leaf-no-home-charger/

. . . For example, he uses the time to do his grocery shopping or go to a movie, which just happens to include free parking at a free charger. If he hadn’t purchased the movie ticket, he’d have to pay to park (along with killing two hours without a movie to watch). He also explains something he refers to as the CHAdeMO beer run.

As you can from the video, he has to spend quite a bit of time finding places to charge and things to occupy his time while charging. In addition, he’s out driving around, using energy, and spending money that he may not have spent if he was able to charge at home. This whole situation wouldn’t be as much of an issue if the EV offered a longer range. However, there is still not a large selection of affordable, long-range electric vehicles available. Thankfully, this is only temporary.

So, as expected, the answer to the headline is … Yes, it’s surely possible. Is it convenient? Definitely not. This is a situation in which one might consider a plug-in hybrid until there is a charge point available near their home. Some hardcore EV fans denounce PHEVs, but we always point out that everyone’s situation is different. A plug-in hybrid is a solid stepping stone to EV ownership and may be the only reasonable option for some people.

Lots of factors like density of public chargers, distance traveled, and the cars charge capacity.

My 40kwh Nissan Leaf typically travels about 20km daily with 2 days out of the week 60km. The local super market has quick charge chademo, where about 30 minutes of charging will bring it over 80% or about 180km range. The super market gets a visit every few days.

In the past few months I've had the car, I only used the L2 charger twice. Once to make sure it works. And once more to top it off to 100% for a 400km trip. It's the only time the car has ever seen 100% charge.

I also have the flat rate plan for public chargers. Another reason to charge away from home.

I haven't watched the video but Leaf has been my primary car since late July 2013. I have no L2 EVSE (long story that I can point/re-point to). I can charge at 120 volts at home but rarely do it. It helps that L2 charging is free at my work (used L1 sometimes in a previous building), which is supplemented by free public L2 charging on Fridays and weekends.

I guess if I had Nissan NCTC, a 40 kWh car w/CHAdeMO and no free workplace charging, I could still probably get away w/almost no L1 charging at home. There's a Walmart w/two EVgo dual-standard (CHAdeMO and CCS) DC FCs almost directly on the way home from work. They don't seem that busy and I could just grab a bite to eat to go and eat in my car while DC FCing.

Instead of turning right off the freeway, I'd need to make two left turns and head straight into a large WMT parking lot.

Back