GRA

ABG: BMW drives to cut battery costs, share costs on autonomous vehicles Securing cobalt from mines that don't exploit w

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:23 pm

BMW drives to cut battery costs, share costs on autonomous vehicles
Securing cobalt from mines that don't exploit workers or employ children is key
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/16/bmw-cut-battery-costs-share-autonomous/

. . . BMW management board member Klaus Froehlich said automakers and large suppliers are beginning to discuss how to agree on one standard for autonomous-vehicle systems. Froehlich has said in the past automakers and suppliers should agree on a single standard.

"Everybody has an interest or should have an interest" in common autonomous-vehicle standards, Froehlich said earlier this week during an event to show off a futuristic, electric and autonomous sport utility vehicle. . . .

On batteries, Froehlich said, BMW is pursuing a strategy aimed at securing lower-cost batteries than rivals, in part by controlling the supply of raw materials for its battery-making partners.

"We will have agreements with mining companies," Froehlich said. "We have one agreement. There will be more." A key issue, he said, is securing cobalt from mines that do not exploit workers or employ children. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: ABG: BMW drives to cut battery costs, share costs on autonomous vehicles Securing cobalt from mines that don't explo

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 pm

GRA wrote:
"We will have agreements with mining companies," Froehlich said. "We have one agreement. There will be more." A key issue, he said, is securing cobalt from mines that do not exploit workers or employ children. . . .

This is a good step forward. The ethical issues in the sourcing of the battery materials has been bothering me for a while now. I want a truly socially responsible solution, not just a green solution.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: ABG: BMW drives to cut battery costs, share costs on autonomous vehicles Securing cobalt from mines that don't explo

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:29 am

The piece mentions Contemporary Amperex Technology (aka CATL) which I've brought up before at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25995.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”