Do you get ads for other cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walterbays

Since I made my reservation, and since I took a test drive in the Leaf Tour, I've been getting a lot of direct mail advertisements for other cars. Car companies know I'm in the market for a new car, and are pitching competing (ICE) models in the same price range as Leaf - or even Volt. I'm not complaining much, but am curious. I don't think it would have been Nissan who sold my name to the other car companies. A recent ad asked whether I was tired of waiting, and wouldn't I rather buy a Cadillac right now instead? If my name was sold by the marketing company that worked for Nissan on the Leaf Tour, that seems like questionable ethics to try to sell me other cars after taking Nissan's money.

I'm not sure the ads are as a result of my interest in Leaf, but I can't think of any other way car companies would have gotten my name and suddenly decided to start mailing me so many ads. Are others getting ads like this too?

Did you give your name and address at the Leaf tour? There may have been some small print that with your signature, you approve of Nissan or xyz company to market products or services to you in the future.

I have been getting some snail mail from Ford but I assume it's because I signed up for info on the EV Focus, not because of my Leaf.

J.

I wonder if the kind of person who is interested in an EV can even be influenced by advertising. My guess is they are too analytical.

That customer list can only generate heartache for an advertiser in the form of wasted printing, postage, ad placement and bandwidth.

Submitted for your consideration

mwalsh said:
I am being interviewed by the LA Times today. The reporter said she got my contact information from JD Power, who clearly data mine our purchasing patterns and make the data available to anyone! :shock:

Surely there must be great value in knowing how to reach an audience of people who have the means to purchase your product vs those living under freeway overpasses. But I'm guessing mwalsh isn't going to buy a grand cherokee no matter how many TV ads you subject him to showing it being driven over a pile of rocks.

That's the fallacy of facebook... disposable income is inversely proportional to time spent there.

Start by going here:
https://www.dmachoice.org
Register your contact info with the DMA to stop a LOT of solicitations. I did this several years ago and it's been very helpful.

Then, follow it up with contacting the advertising company EVERY time you receive a solicitation. Both phone calls and snail mail solicitations. Somewhere on those mailings should be a website or at least a company name for the marketing company, and many times you can go to their site to be added to an "opt-out" list. If you can't find the advertising company, then contact the company doing the advertising.

I started doing this years ago and I VERY rarely get any solicitations in the mail anymore. It's great! Now, I almost got into a legal battle with "Nissan of the Eastside" here in Bellevue due to the fact that they continued to send me things over and over and over despite me asking them to stop (in person) several times. But once I finally told them that I was contacting a lawyer the next time I received a solicitation from them, they magically stopped.

Here's the one catch: The USPS relies heavily on the bulk-rate mail supporting their services, so technically doing this can hurt USPS and/or raise postage rates, and people have criticized me on this point before. HOWEVER, since most people on this forum are of the "tree-hugger" nature (I say that with all due respect, I'm one of you) the counter to that argument is whether you'd be willing to pay a tiny bit more in postage rather than have all that crap go directly into the garbage? You have to know that not everyone recycles....

P.S. Note that this sadly does NOT stop the f**k**g politicians or any of the political campaigns. For that, please register on http://stoppoliticalcalls.org and again, every time they call or send mail, contact the campaign office and tell them to stop. They won't, of course, but if enough people get up in arms about this maybe they'll get a clue and stop harassing us.

Back