Clean energy incentive for EVs in Japan terminated

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5116-Clean-energy-incentive-for-EVs-in-Japan-terminated

We all know how this impacts Leaf deliveries in the US ...

1) Clean energy incentives for EVs announced

Last year when the program was announced, for the current round incentives you were supposed to be able to apply until the current round cut-off of Feb. 8, 2011. The Roadster, being the most expensive EV got you back $35,000, $12,000 for an iMiev, $9,000 on a LEAF, etc. There was no notice that the program was to actually end Feb. 8, and I think most people assumed there would be at least another 6 month or 1 year block added on at the end of the first round. At a bare minimum people thought that they had until Feb. 8 to make their purchase, and most likely well after that.

2) Clean energy incentives for EVs terminated

With no prior warning on Feb. 1, the Clean Energy Dept. announced that the incentives were over -- and that Jan. 31 was the last day to have purchased a car to have been eligible! The link above says there are no plans at the moment for another round of rebates, so as far as one knows the rebates are officially over. Folks who were about to buy their EV near the end of the first round and thought they were locked in have just had their legs cut out from under them. A bit hideous really....

Herm said:
I am willing to sacrifice, send Obama to Japan and help them out for a few years..what the heck, take Biden too.
I know. They have been struggling for a decade to come out of recession / no growth. Infact Japan proves that you can have high budget deficit and yet no inflation.

evnow said:
We all know how this impacts Leaf deliveries in the US ...
It's hard to quantify, but going from what we know there:

1. It seems to have been expected that the incentives would expire Feb 8th (2 weeks ago!). This is quite a bit earlier that what it was thought before where it was thought that the incentive ran out in March. It does make sense as Nissan would likely want to fill all orders as quickly as possible - I assume that you must have paid in full by the end date to qualify for the incentive.
2. The incentive only expired 1 week early - how many people would have waited until the last 8 days to order a car they knew is in high demand?
3. Of course, if Nissan thought that the incentive would expire in March, that could have a much larger effect on market deliveries...

Either way it should shift production focus to foreign markets more quickly - the question is if it's a 1 week change in Nissan's expecatations or 3-7 week change...

Interesting tidbit - I got my "Your upcoming delivery" email on Feb 8th. Of course, that email had April delivery date which shifted to May a few days later.

I wonder why the incentive expiration news has taken so long to get picked up as it happened 3 weeks ago?

drees said:
1. It seems to have been expected that the incentives would expire Feb 8th (2 weeks ago!). This is quite a bit earlier that what it was thought before where it was thought that the incentive ran out in March. It does make sense as Nissan would likely want to fill all orders as quickly as possible - I assume that you must have paid in full by the end date to qualify for the incentive.
Yes - Missan obviously must have known about Feb 8th. We all just assumed it is Mar end, the Japanese tax year end. Apparently they do things differently there.

I wonder why the incentive expiration news has taken so long to get picked up as it happened 3 weeks ago?
Not coming up in any English press. The tesla forum OP I linked to is from Japan ...

Back