EPA releases final new Fuel Economy Labels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

As expected, EPA has bowed to the industry pressure and not gone with the letter grading, which would have placed EVs at "A". They have gone with the dumb MPGe. Also only one range figure is given instead of different city/highway figures.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/label/index.shtml

epa_ev_label.PNG

It's confusing. Why did they say 34 kWhs for 100 miles when at best the LEAF only has 24 kWh available to it? If 100 miles = 34 kWhs, how do they rate it at 99 mpge? I guess they are trying to equate it to gasoline, but I think this may give a false impression to persons that aren't familiar with the LEAF.

I don't think that sticker is for the Leaf or any other specific vehicle; it's just a mock-up.

ERG4ALL said:
It's confusing. Why did they say 34 kWhs for 100 miles when at best the LEAF only has 24 kWh available to it? If 100 miles = 34 kWhs, how do they rate it at 99 mpge? I guess they are trying to equate it to gasoline, but I think this may give a false impression to persons that aren't familiar with the LEAF.

ERG4ALL said:
As Mogur said this is not for Leaf - but your questions stand.

Leaf is rated nearly 34 kWh / 100 miles. Irrespective of what the range is you can always figure out how many Kwh it takes the car to run 100 miles - just the way you can rate ICE cars for # of gallons per 1,000 miles, even though the tank is smaller.

MPGe just says if you put in a energy equivalent to 1 gallon of gas (about 33 Kwh) how many miles can the car travel.

As you see neither of these have anything to do with the range on one charge. For Leaf that is 73 miles.

The "meter" scales are wonky.

If you score "10" on a scale of 1 to 10, you should be all the way to the right end of the scale.

So what's that white space between "10" and "10 Best"? Does it go to 11?

I don't get the "(tailpipe only)" blurb after the emmissions and smog rating. Do ICE cars have the same blurb? Surly there are lots of emissions for making and delivering gasoline same as for electricity.

smkettner said:
I don't get the "(tailpipe only)" blurb after the emmissions and smog rating. Do ICE cars have the same blurb? Surly there are lots of emissions for making and delivering gasoline same as for electricity.
Right - just the same anti-EV attitude of the industry in general.

Back