Any chance of loosing the tax credits?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

With all of this talk about government cutting expenses to balance the budget, I haven't specifically seen any mention of the tax credits for EVs. All though I'm pretty sure demand is high enough to keep manufacturers building EVs without the credits, I'd still hate to see them disappear. Anyone know anything for sure on that topic?

I too am concerned about this no matter how you spell it. I'm assuming the credit is in place for the 2011 tax year, and can count on the rebate if the car is delivered by December 31st. If they don't deliver the car by December there's a good chance BS Nissan will have an orphan on their hands, cause I'm concerned about buying the car early in 2012 and having a whole year for them to take it away. This car is a splurge for me with the tax credit, without it there's no way I can justify it.

Very rare to have a retroactive change. I would say 2011 & 2012 seems pretty solid.
Even the current cuts to compromise and raise the debt ceiling are reported to only kick in after a couple years.

Removing a tax credit is essentially a tax hike, now that puts Grover Norquist and company in a tough spot - certainly don't want to raise anyone's taxes, but doing the right thing for the country and planet's environment, must be quite a dilemma.

LTLFTcomposite said:
This car is a splurge for me with the tax credit, without
it there's no way I can justify it.

I'll second that. Never paid so much for a vehicle but I wanted to support
the efforts of alternative energy growth. In another thread the question is
asked " how cheap gas might make you go back to an ICE". That wouldn't
happen but if the price of electric vehicles doesn't come down then this will
be my only one. :shock:

hodad66 said:
I'll second that. Never paid so much for a vehicle but I wanted to support
the efforts of alternative energy growth. In another thread the question is
asked " how cheap gas might make you go back to an ICE". That wouldn't
happen but if the price of electric vehicles doesn't come down then this will
be my only one.

Well, the good news is that the Leaf should last you for quite a while. Still, I would imagine vehicles like the PHV Prius would be a good compromise and a price a lot of people could afford.

thankyouOB said:
davewill said:
thankyouOB said:
the word is:
Losing
Sources?
you are kidding, right?

loosing is not a word. Loose is a word, as in not tight.

Losing is the word for the headline.
My mistake. I thought you were saying that the word (somewhere) was that we were losing them. Anyway, loosing is a word, just not the one the writer wanted. You can certainly say that you're "loosing the dogs of war". The misspelling is so common I just ignore it.

Losing is the word for the headline.[/quote]My mistake. I thought you were saying that the word (on the street) was that we were losing them. Anyway, you can certainly say that you're "loosing the dogs of war". The misspelling is so common I just ignore it.[/quote]

Loosing is not a word. You could look it up in a dictionary and find out I am correct.
Loosening is a word.

and the phrase about the dogs is:
Let slip the dogs of war....
from shakespeare and his julius caesar:

ANTONY:
Blood and destruction shall be so in use
And dreadful objects so familiar
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;
All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:
And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

thankyouOB said:
Loosing is not a word. You could look it up in a dictionary and find out I am correct.
Loosening is a word.
You really should look this stuff up first: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loosing

davewill said:
thankyouOB said:
Loosening is a word.
You really should look this stuff up first: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loosing

Nice one, but keep reading.
I did look it up, in Miriam Webster's on paper, with consultation from our professional copy editor and wordsmith.
We stand by our position. It is not a word in current English usage.

If you actually read the cite (link) that you sent, the word is NOT used in an English sentence and has an archaic definition as a foreign word.

World English Dictionary

loosing or lowsening [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
dialect ( Yorkshire ) a celebration of one's 21st birthday

lowsening or lowsening

— n

Nice try. It's right at the top as one of the standard verb forms.

loose [loos] adjective, loos·er, loos·est, adverb, verb loosed, loos·ing.

I am not sure what that proves. You can find all sorts of corruption and oddities online.
Print dictionaries are the accepted source for people who make their living working with words.
I will check it out in the OED at home and report back fairly.

The current tax credit is non-progressive, since only wealthy taxpayers can afford to buy or lease a Leaf.. the Republicans should have no interest in getting rid of it since it makes the whole tax system more balanced and equal.

This modern obsession with proper spelling is weird, it saps English of its ability to evolve. BTW, its brakes not breaks

Ok guys.. I'm the original poster and yes, I screwed up. I meant to type "losing." The sad part is that I'm probably one of the best spellers out there (compared to the general American public), and didn't catch my own mistake and neither did my automatic spell-check in my browser. Apparently it thinks it is a real word, albiet not the correct word in this context. I also made the mistake when interpreting "the word is.." that he was talking about the "word on the street."

smkettner said:
I never much liked Shakespeare. (It is supposed to be capitalized right?)

you are not serious about this comment, are you? julius caesar was also lower-cased,

by the way,
loosing does NOT appear in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Back