Leaf vs Focus Electric - Features Compared

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Here is a list of feature comparisons. Only trying to list the differences.

The first set shows what Leaf SV/SL have (or is "better") - that FFE doesn't. The next set shows what Leaf SL has - but SV doesn't (and the conclusion is FFE is cloer to SV than SL). Then the things that FFE has but Leaf doesn't.

leafvsffe.png

"Spoler PV" ? (Spoiler PV typo?)

I look at that chart and say "whatever" until I get to the 6.6kW charger line and go "dang..." :cry:

ENIAC said:
Smaller battery and more weight results in an EPA range of ???
And the weight distribution would result in worse handling. Anyway, until EPA comes up with the number, we can't compare.

evnow said:
ENIAC said:
Smaller battery and more weight results in an EPA range of ???
And the weight distribution would result in worse handling. Anyway, until EPA comes up with the number, we can't compare.

I'll wait to see actual driving comparisons. There are many factors involved. The no boxes on the Ford are trivial and my guess is the interior user experience is far superior on the Ford. Not difficult to improve on anything on the LEAF center dash.

EVDRIVER said:
The no boxes on the Ford are trivial and my guess is the interior user experience is far superior on the Ford. Not difficult to improve on anything on the LEAF center dash.
Obviously you have not been keeping upto date with all the MyFord touch problems - that took Ford new car ranking from 5th to 23rd.

http://www.dailytech.com/MyFord+Touch+Drop+Kicks+Ford+from+5th+to+23rd+in+JD+Power+IQS+Rankings/article21994.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think of an outsourced buggy software - like the Leaf website - but in your car. It might put the volume to max and you can't reduce the volume nor switch it off.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6240-2011-edgemkx-my-touch-and-sync-problems/page__st__520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's subjective but I'd also say that the Focus has "looks" as a feature while the Leaf, at best, isn't ugly.

thankyouOB said:
that is a nit. and try telling that to the worker at the MI assembly plant and his kids.
Try telling that to thousands of working building the new Leaf plant in Smyrna. There are more American workers getting paid because of Leaf than because of Focus EV.

evnow said:
thankyouOB said:
that is a nit. and try telling that to the worker at the MI assembly plant and his kids.
Try telling that to thousands of working building the new Leaf plant in Smyrna. There are more American workers getting paid because of Leaf than because of Focus EV.

OK!

Ford is saying on Facebook that heated seats are included.

Thanks for your interest in the Focus Electric! We must apologize - because of technical difficulties, the NJ list of dealers and the standard features did not make it on the website but it is being fixed and will shortly be available. Focus Electric will come very well-equipped and heated seats are included.

But I've to wonder - couldn't they put some features list on the site. It isn't some fancy site like Leaf's that they might have problems. It is a simple site just like rest of Ford's site.

TomT said:
It would be irrelevant to me. Besides, very few "American Cars" are truly made in America anymore...

thankyouOB said:
i guess that is a question, not a comment saying that made in the usa doesnt matter.

i can think of foreign cars made here: toyota, bmw.
but what American Car that is sold here isnt made in America? (I am not saying they dont exist.)

Separately, I do prefer to make purchases that support people who live in America. that is not to say I dont buy foreign-made goods.
But I would consider it an item of interest in comparing automobiles; so if it can be discerned, it would belong in the chart.

It may be that the Ford and the Leaf are indistinguishable if you look at overall content, especially with Nissan assembly and batteries being done in Smyrna.
That is right, isnt it, EVNOW, the assembly is in the USA, not just the battery plant?

thankyouOB said:
That is right, isnt it, EVNOW, the assembly is in the USA, not just the battery plant?
Yes - when the Smyrna plant goes online everything will be made here - including the motor, IIRC. Infact Ford FFE will have much lower American content as the battery will come from Korea.

All the multi-national auto majors try single sourcing parts to get economies of scale. FFE gets some stuff from EU for eg.

BTW, do you know who is the largest importer of cars into Japan ? Nissan. All Japanese car makers have started making some small cars in other Asian countries and importing to Japan.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html?ref=autoreviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ranger for eg., is assembled in St Paul. But the engines come from US (I-4), Germany (V6) and trasmission from France or Japan.

evnow said:
In fact Ford FFE will have much lower American content as the battery will come from Korea.
Currently yes, but from Holland, Mich in the "near" future.
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ottawa_county/Korea-LG-Chem-wins-Ford-Focus-battery-pack-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Initially the battery cells will be made in South Korea by LG Chem and shipped to the U.S., where Compact Power, based in Troy, Mich., is looking for a site to assemble them into packs.
Once the Holland factory is up and running, the cells and packs will be produced in the U.S., Ford said.
Ford's assembly plant in Wayne, Mich., near Detroit, will build a new version of the Focus.
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2010/2010-07-16-091.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"That means that by 2012, the batteries will be manufactured in Holland, Michigan, instead of South Korea. So when you buy one of these vehicles, the battery could be stamped Made in America - just like the car."
http://blog.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=32959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cells will incorporate LG Chem’s proprietary chemistry and its industry-leading safety-reinforced-separator technology that provides unparalleled safety performance.

Focus Electric will have a targeted range of up to 100 miles per full charge with zero tailpipe emissions. It is one of five electrified vehicles Ford is bringing to market in the U.S. in the next two years. These include the Transit Connect Electric, a small commercial van in 2010; Focus Electric in 2011; two new lithium-ion battery-powered hybrids; and a plug-in hybrid in 2012.

Focus Electric, a full battery electric passenger car, will be produced at Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich., which will begin producing gasoline versions of the all-new 2011 Focus later this year.

Ford previously announced plans to invest $550 million to transform Michigan Assembly Plant from a large SUV factory to a modern car plant to build the new Focus and Focus Electric. The plant also will produce a next-generation hybrid and a plug-in hybrid in 2012. All of the vehicles will be built off the company’s new global C-car platform.

This complements Ford’s overall strategy to establish a center of excellence in Michigan for electrification of a broad range of vehicles, including lithium-ion battery-powered hybrids, plug-ins and pure electric vehicles.

Back