Fresh And Easy scores a near miss...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

There is a new Fresh And Easy Market opening February 22nd at a shopping center near me on Balboa Blvd. in Granada Hills. They have two spaces marked for Clean Air Vehicles as per the below. No EVSEs or outlets, but a nice gesture nonetheless...

mu7b04.jpg

Unfortunately, as this picture shows, they didn't quite get it right since pure Hybrids are the dirtiest of all the so-called "Clean Air" vehicles out there (HEV, PHEV, BEV, CNG, H2, etc.)... I guess I'll be fine to park there with my Clean Air decals... I wonder what better wording might be...

iqzf5k.jpg

Hybrid would make our vehicles non-compliant to park there. My daughter parked in a hybrid parking place her first day of winter quarter at college. After class, she had a note on windshield from parking enforcement telling her she could not park there. However, they did have 6 ev only parking places with 110 outlets. Now she has her own parking place.

Why not just require the zero emission parking decal? Oh yea, that's right http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
Unfortunately, as this picture shows, they didn't quite get it right since pure Hybrids are the dirtiest of all the so-called "Clean Air" vehicles out there (HEV, PHEV, BEV, CNG, H2, etc.)...
Actually that's rather dependent on where and when you are charging. In most areas night time charging will be done with coal power which gives an EV slightly higher emissions than a Prius on a well to wheels basis.

With those labels, someone will park their Flex Fuel Suburban or Excesscalade there! Of course, since there is no official penalty signage, I don't suppose there is much they could do about it if someone did...
GeekEV said:
"green parking only"
"eco-friendly parking only"

JRP3 said:
TomT said:
Unfortunately, as this picture shows, they didn't quite get it right since pure Hybrids are the dirtiest of all the so-called "Clean Air" vehicles out there (HEV, PHEV, BEV, CNG, H2, etc.)...
Actually that's rather dependent on where and when you are charging. In most areas night time charging will be done with coal power which gives an EV slightly higher emissions than a Prius on a well to wheels basis.

Could you provide link to the data this is based on?
I've seen this assertion made a lot, but typically without any data.
East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition coordinator is working up some real numbers for Tennessee Valley Authority power.

I don't think it takes any great research to rank them in order of cleanness and emissions, IN GENERAL, from top to bottom... Obviously what might be true in one area might be different in another...

But if you are talking about emissions in the area of operation of the vehicle in question, it is relatively easy:

BEV
H2
CNG
PHEV
HEV
ICE

TimLee said:
JRP3 said:
TomT said:
East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition coordinator is working up some real numbers for Tennessee Valley Authority power.

TimLee said:
JRP3 said:
TomT said:

I don't have a direct link but if you look up CO2 for coal power and figure the kwh/mile used and compare it to the CO2 for gasoline and use the mpg for the Prius the Prius comes out slightly better.

LakeLeaf said:
I wish they would put these spots at the back of the parking lot away from all of the other cars. A few extra yards of walking never hurt anyone!

Apart from disabled folks like me. And since everybody with a headache gets handicapped permits these days, an extra chance at parking within my severely limited ambulatory range is good.

Besides, reserved parking is supposed to return convenience for some other attribute. Reserved parking a long way away makes no sense.

TomT said:
I don't think it takes any great research to rank them in order of cleanness and emissions, IN GENERAL, from top to bottom... Obviously what might be true in one area might be different in another...

But if you are talking about emissions in the area of operation of the vehicle in question, it is relatively easy:

BEV
H2
CNG
PHEV
HEV
ICE

CNG can have higher CO2 emissions depending on where the NG comes from, shale fracked NG may be almost as high as coal. Not sure H2 works out so well either depending on how the H2 is generated. And, if the PHEV is coal charged it too will be worse than a HEV.

To reiterate, what may be true in one area may not be in another... You simply can not generalize and project from that.

JRP3 said:
I don't have a direct link but if you look up CO2 for coal power and figure the kwh/mile used and compare it to the CO2 for gasoline and use the mpg for the Prius the Prius comes out slightly better.

I don't know anything about Fresh and Easy and have never been in one but for some reason they just piss me off. I think it has something to do with them seeming like they were just plopped down without any planning. I guess this confirms it.

In this case, they took over another market (How's) that went out of business a couple of years ago but, yes, there did not seem to be a lot of planning or neighborhood involvement on their part...

coolfilmaker said:
I don't know anything about Fresh and Easy and have never been in one but for some reason they just piss me off. I think it has something to do with them seeming like they were just plopped down without any planning. I guess this confirms it.

JRP3 said:
This is incorrect, as you are not doing a full "well to wheels" CO2 footprint for the Gasoline used in the Prius, only what CO2 comes out the tailpipe.

Pumping, refinement, and distribution of petroleum has a significant CO2 (and energy) footprint. In particular, the single largest industrial user of electricity in both California and in the US as a whole is the Petroleum industry. These figures are freely available on the DOE website.

In addition, it is estimated that for each gallon of gasoline that makes it into your tank, there is about 10kWh of electricity used throughout the Petroleum chain. Now, a variable portion of that power comes from local co-generation operations at refineries, most all of which are high CO2 footprint operations.

I recently took a trip to Alaska, including a drive up the Dalton highway which follows the pipeline all the way from Anchorage in the south to Prudhoe Bay in the north. It's impressive! You also notice that for every 50 miles or so of pipeline, there is a pumping station. Next to each one is a large electrical substation. Now, the figures say that more electrical energy is used in refinery operations than in distribution, but still it's a big slap in the face to see how much power just that pipeline consumes.

But the basic fact remains, at least for Gasoline, that for each gallon consumed, you could have powered your Leaf about 40 miles. (assuming 250wH / Mile)

Diesel needs less refinery energy per gallon, so it's footprint is a lot better.

No where does that 10kWh per gallon of gas come from?!? In some places; COAL. A large chunk is by burning off flare gas and methane at the refinery, both of which produce a lot of CO2. A lot more than using coal to directly power your EV!

-Phil

TomT said:
To reiterate, what may be true in one area may not be in another... You simply can not generalize and project from that.

JRP3 said:
Coal is coal, no matter where you are. I specifically referenced the CO2 for coal. Since most EV charging is expected to be done at night, and since most night time additional load in the US will come from coal, the generalization does indeed apply to a large portion of the US.

Ingineer said:
JRP3 said:
This is incorrect, as you are not doing a full "well to wheels" CO2 footprint for the Gasoline used in the Prius, only what CO2 comes out the tailpipe.

Pumping, refinement, and distribution of petroleum has a significant CO2 (and energy) footprint. In particular, the single largest industrial user of electricity in both California and in the US as a whole is the Petroleum industry. These figures are freely available on the DOE website.

In addition, it is estimated that for each gallon of gasoline that makes it into your tank, there is about 10kWh of electricity used throughout the Petroleum chain. Now, a variable portion of that power comes from local co-generation operations at refineries, most all of which are high CO2 footprint operations.

I recently took a trip to Alaska, including a drive up the Dalton highway which follows the pipeline all the way from Anchorage in the south to Prudhoe Bay in the north. It's impressive! You also notice that for every 50 miles or so of pipeline, there is a pumping station. Next to each one is a large electrical substation. Now, the figures say that more electrical energy is used in refinery operations than in distribution, but still it's a big slap in the face to see how much power just that pipeline consumes.

But the basic fact remains, at least for Gasoline, that for each gallon consumed, you could have powered your Leaf about 40 miles. (assuming 250wH / Mile)

Diesel needs less refinery energy per gallon, so it's footprint is a lot better.

No where does that 10kWh per gallon of gas come from?!? In some places; COAL. A large chunk is by burning off flare gas and methane at the refinery, both of which produce a lot of CO2. A lot more than using coal to directly power your EV!

-Phil
Your numbers are way off. First of all much of the electricity used for refining is produced on site in co-generation plants, which also supply power to the grid. Second, if you use the purchased electricity figures compared to the gallons produced it's less than 1kwh per gallon. The DOE puts gasoline production efficiency at better than 80% for the full cycle, which works out to less than 6kwh of energy per gallon, but that energy is not necessarily electricity. Refining takes heat, which is directly fueled from petroleum products, including NG. Well to wheels a Prius has a slightly smaller CO2 footprint than a coal powered LEAF.

But is not true in our area (LADWP)...
And, again, does not take in to account the affect of locally produced greenhouse and emission gases from any type of ICE vehicle that will significantly affect local air quality (like Los Angeles basin smog)...
JRP3 said:
since most night time additional load in the US will come from coal, the generalization does indeed apply to a large portion of the US.

Back