RNM
Delivery Date: 05 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 012707

Re: Extra Battery, How to Integrate with 24kWh Traction Battery?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Collink and ATKAM:

- Does the GOM show more miles/km?
- kWh/100 km or miles/kWh are showing correctly?

Dolio
Delivery Date: 23 Aug 2012

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Atkam wrote:Some additional information of my integration:
Ales

Great Information! TY TY TY

I am the author of the eaa-phev.org website, have not worked on that for a while now. Anyway, I have a 2011 Leaf with a 3/12 bars, out of warranty but about to lose the 4th bar. I have an opportunity to purchase a salvaged 2015 battery. No dealer seems willing to swap the packs and reprogram the VCM. Does anyone have any insights they can share regarding how likely it is that I will be able to swap the packs AND/OR Tap the existing pack to add the second?

My primary goal is to just get a better back, secondary goal is to increase total capacity. I think perhaps the best route to try and satisfy goal number one would be to do the opposite of the manual module swap where by I replace the new BMS with my old BMS in the new battery tub and get the adapter hardware to mount it. I'm not entirely sure that the old and new BMS to Module connections are the same between 2011 and 2015.. I presume they are if it is possible to swap the modules, which it sounds like can be done.

I am still searching, Found:
* http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 97#p461582 It can be easier to move the battery controller instead.
Last edited by Dolio on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RNM
Delivery Date: 05 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 012707

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Dolio, here is how:

https://youtu.be/d-ka4-mG_0I

jkenny23
Delivery Date: 19 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 009318

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm

collink or Atkam, where did you tap into the contactor power lines to determine the state? The only place I could see doing this is at the round connector at the battery (and I couldn't find a source for that connector to make an in-line adapter) or at the VCM. I'm interested in how you are splicing into those signals, I'd like to do it as low-impact as possible. You also mentioned 3 contactors, are you using 2 main + 1 pre-charge like the main HV battery?

I found this video which has the sequencing, I assume you're using a microcontroller to decode the sequence and determine when it's safe to switch in your pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0IozEyeGSk

It seems like you need to switch out your pack within 200ms before any errors could occur based on some DTCs I found in the service manual.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 pm

jkenny23 wrote:collink or Atkam, where did you tap into the contactor power lines to determine the state?

It seems like you need to switch out your pack within 200ms before any errors could occur based on some DTCs I found in the service manual.

It looks to me that all you would have to do is drive a pair of contactors as soon as that single main contactor signal is closed. Basically both packs would close their main contactors simultaneously.

Well, that as well as making sure both packs have exactly the same voltage. But as soon as the main contactors open on the Leaf's battery they must do so immediately on the auxiliary pack as well.

At least that's what I understand.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

Return to “Engineering”