Gen1 Leaf battery box can round socket pinout

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glyndwr1998

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Leaf Gen1 battery from a salvage yard.

I had previously purchased a Gen2 pack, and after reading ticktock posts leaf canbus with microcontroller, I made up a obd lead to attach to the battery box round socket a 12v supply, neg, canH and canL signals. for the use of a elm bluetooth adaptor and tablet or phone,

this is to enable the reading of the battery health using leafspy app without opening up the battery box and physically putting a volt meter to read the battery voltage, it s very quick test without opening the battery up.

So, sadly the gen1 round socket is of i different design, and i cannot now identify the pins i need to attach my home made harness to the battery round connector to see the health of the battery.

Has anyone got a pinout diagram of the pins that need to be connected to enable this to work.

Like i said, I know which pins to attach o for a Gen2 pack, but not a Gen1 pack

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Anthony

Let me know if these help:
LeafBattery1.jpg

LeafBatteryPack.jpg

Here's the pinout of the harness connector that goes into the battery from the 2012 service manual. I believe its as viewed from the back/wire side, so this is essentially how the battery connector would look from the outside. Their pinout orientation conventions always confuse me though. You may be able to tell which pins are populated and match the pattern, or verify which pins are the 6,7,8 GND to verify orientation.

26121900975_fa46d46f16_c.jpg

Rob

BTW if you poke around online a little, you can find several years of the Leaf factory service manuals available for free download from one of the Nissan clubs websites.

Glyndwr1998 said:
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Leaf Gen1 battery from a salvage yard.

I had previously purchased a Gen2 pack, and after reading ticktock posts leaf canbus with microcontroller, I made up a obd lead to attach to the battery box round socket a 12v supply, neg, canH and canL signals. for the use of a elm bluetooth adaptor and tablet or phone,

Anthony

Anthony,

What soft do you use/planning to use to read directly from the battery via EV-CAN ? Please advise.
There is a 2013 pack from the wreck sitting for a while - I am keen to go and check it out using your methodology.

From my experience:
LeafSpyPro only reads main CAN and not EV-CAN. Battery reports it's status to VCM via EV-CAN.

I've noticed that in 2010 Service Manual two pins at the battery plug are located differently from the 2014 service manual.

Hi analyser,

On the gen2 battery packs, you can use an obd cable and make a pin harness to connect to the battery connector. I have seen this working on leafspy software. It enables you to see the battery voltage purely to see if it is healthy to put your mind at rest when buying it when the battery is on the floor and already out of the car.

I'll pm you a message with the pinouts for the gen2, I was trying to do the same for a gen 1 battery as I was offered one, but I bought the battery anyway and took a chance.
Thankfully, when I got the battery home and opened it up, the battery was in a1 condition. Phew....

Thanks.

I believe there is a mode in LeafSpy that lets you look at the battery parameters when your OBD2 adapter is connected directly to EV-CAN. Assume you also need a 12V power source, but sounds like Glyndwr1998 should be able to get you on the right track.

Rob

This is the pin out diagram I have had from another member, I have made an obd lead up ready for testing of a battery, see pic below

http://s15.postimg.org/il8dq6nx7/pinout.jpg

For you guys out there that may know, I'd like to use the same lead for testing the gen 2 pack as the gen1 pack, so I can see the can-h and can-l pins, and the 3 negative pins, can someone shed any light onto what pins have to be located to energise socket to enable the obd Bluetooth adaptors to connect to the bms and leafspy access the battery voltage and cell data to check the battery for health.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony.

Comparing the 2012 and 2013 service manual, it looks to me like they kept the pin numbers the same just changed the connector. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the equivalent on the 2013 to the nice clear pinout / table posted above for the 2012.

Using your picture along with the 2013 EVB circuit diagram, it looks like:
1- CAN-H
2- CAN-L
4- 12V IGN
5- 12V BAT
6- LBC GND
7- LBC GND
8- LBC GND

This matches the table above for the 2012 as well, so it looks to me like you'd do exactly the same but map the leads to the pin locations on the 2012 connector from above. If you rotate it 180 degrees, it seems like it would actually look almost the same, the 2012 connector just has one less row and one less column on the center rows, but the location of the pins is actually very similar.

Rob

Glyndwr1998 said:
Hi analyser,

On the gen2 battery packs, you can use an obd cable and make a pin harness to connect to the battery connector. I have seen this working on leafspy software. It enables you to see the battery voltage purely to see if it is healthy to put your mind at rest when buying it when the battery is on the floor and already out of the car.

I have not noticed anywhere in LeafSpyPro settings any menu which will change from CAR-CAN to EV-CAN to be able to do that.

Turbo 3 mentioned in one of his posts in reply to someone else (in my own interpretation of what I understood he said) = ELM 327 together with LeafSpyPro works over CAR-CAN only. Which makes sense.

Suppose if the Author of the programm is working on that extra button/feature or if that is part of the latest or planned release - he gets my 25$ for that straight away....

Could someone please post screenshot of where that feature (reading EV-CAN vs CAR CAN) is located in case I am missing something?

If any one can advise the CAN message which need to be send over EV-CAN to retreive the Battery Status (voltages at minimum) over EV-CAN - that would be great.

Does anyone know which computer stores the "number of QC and L1/L2" ? e.g. ODO is stored in the odometer computer. I am not sure where the above data is stored - in LBC, VCM or OBC? I could assume it is either LBC or OBC. Would be great to know the CAN message to retreive that info directly from the computer where it is stored.

I am asking those questions after going through all pages of CAN discussion on this forum, after reading thousands of pages of both 2011 and 2014 Service Manuals and after live experiment on battery computer being connected directly to ELM + LeafSpyPro and not responding but when ELM was connected to VCM over CAR CAN and battery controller being connected to EV-CAN at the VCM side (bypassing all other circuits) - battery computer (LBC) was responding and I was reading simulated temperature sensor e.g. 4KOhm = 21C.

Thanks folks.

Hi analyser,

Have a look at this post by bjn, he has successfully connected to a gen2 battery that had been removed from a car and sitting in his garage, he used a Bluetooth adaptors and leafspy along with the adapted obd lead to match the pinouts as per my previous post image. I have made the same cable ready to test my next battery. I also wanted to use the same cable for a gen1 battery as the sockets are not the same, but looks like from in previous posts by ( Rob) that the cable should be OK.
So, browse the below link and I'm sure it's what your after, it certainly was ok for the info I wanted.

I use a leafspy in my gen1 leaf and my brothers gen2 leaf with no issues.

Hope it helps.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17470&start=30

analyser said:
I have not noticed anywhere in LeafSpyPro settings any menu which will change from CAR-CAN to EV-CAN to be able to do that.

Go to Settings, then Model Year, and from the drop down with the years you can select "BMS". I believe this is what tells LeafSpy that its connected to the EV-CAN. Seems like this feature is no longer documented, but seems like its still been carried through from earlier versions.

Rob

miscrms said:
...Go to Settings, then Model Year, and from the drop down with the years you can select "BMS".
Rob
Thank you so much. Have not travelled to that wrecked battery yet.
Tried with LBC [aka BMS] on the bench with simulated temp sensor - it did work.
Tried to connect 1 and 2 Li modules - zero reading. Assume it will only read voltages if ALL modules are attached.
Noticed that only AH and Hx populated from LBC standalone but not QC or L1/L2
In Service Manual they say use Consult to record data from LBC in case you will swap it - to be recorded into another one. (I do not have Consult). Interesting to know what are they transferring from old into new LBC?
Was under assumption that # of QC and L1/L2 is stored in the LBC.
Curious where is it stored? e.g. VCM, OBC?

Not sure about where that info is stored. Sounds like you are making progress though, very cool. Yet another very handy feature of LeafSpy! Keep in mind that you may have communications issues with the LBC by itself due to the missing EV-CAN termination from the VCM. Ideally you should probably have a termination resistor across the CAN pins in your adapter if you don't already.

The big issue with swapping LBCs is related to the VCM. There is a security protocol in the VCM that verifies the unique ID of the LBC at boot, and restricts operation if the IDs don't match. This ID can only be updated through the Consult tool. I think the procedure you are talking about might be transferring info related to SOC, SOH etc in a case where only the LBC is being replaced rather than the whole battery. In that case you'd want the new LBC to pick up where the old one left off so to speak.

Rob

miscrms said:
The big issue with swapping LBCs is related to the VCM. There is a security protocol in the VCM that verifies the unique ID of the LBC at boot, and restricts operation if the IDs don't match. This ID can only be updated through the Consult tool. ....
Rob
That was not mentioned in the service manual. Thank you for that.
I would like to have consult interface. Those knock-off from PRC on eBay are mentioned [on IATN] to have limited functionality including not being able to program. But the asking price is astronomical and not justifiable for DIY.
Wonder if anyone managed to reprogram mass market K+CAN USB cable to pair it with Consult 3+ Soft?
I have few of those cables and do not mind to brick one or two.

Yeah, it really sucks that even the clone Consult 3+ is so expensive. I got spoiled with my ~$20 MiniVCI for the Prius. There are some discussions indicating at least partial functionality may be possible with a J2534 passthrough device (like the miniVCI). I do hope to try that at some point in the future. That's probably a conversation for another board though.

Rob

miscrms said:
Yeah, it really sucks that even the clone Consult 3+ is so expensive. ..... There are some discussions indicating at least partial functionality may be possible with a J2534 passthrough device (like the miniVCI). ....

Rob
I think I know what you are talking about ( to do it the way they did with VAS 50XX cable) - that has been tried with passthrough CAN & VCI with no success. Soft recognises the cable but there is no comms. Some adjustments perhaps are needed somewhere....

miscrms said:
analyser said:

Go to Settings, then Model Year, and from the drop down with the years you can select "BMS". I believe this is what tells LeafSpy that its connected to the EV-CAN. Seems like this feature is no longer documented, but seems like its still been carried through from earlier versions.

Rob

Thank you for this. I am about to read a battery that's orphaned and I think you have just saved me something close to an eternity!

Got 2014 battery and wonder of it's status.
Tried to connect OBD2 to black round socket but didn't succeed. What I'm doing wrong?
What I have:
https://components101.com/connectors/obd2 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ETRIDUI)
OBD2 dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J9H4UQY
LeafSpy Pro

What I did:
1. Connected EV-H to pin 6 of OBD2 connected
2. EV-L to pin 14
3. +12 to pin 5 in round socket and pin 16 in OBD2 socket
4. Ground to pin 6 in round socket and pin 5 in OBD2 socket
5. Spliced wires from (3) and (4) and connected to 12VDC PSU
6. Tried both battery models in LeafSpy - 2014 and "BMS only"

Not sure how long should I wait to keep this chain powered to get info and how powerful my PSU should be.

Back