Blink -vs- Any Other EVSE Full Charge Gid Count Comparison

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

New test for those inclined:

Please compare a Blink -vs- Any Other EVSE full charge Gid count. At a minimum, you need a Gidmeter.

Simple format: Temperature is just the composite battery temp when charging.

EXAMPLE:
TonyWilliams
Oct 15 - 70F - Blink home L2 - 281 / 100% Gid / SOC 95.0% (if you can get it)
Oct 16 - 68F - Panasonic 16amp - 281 / 100% Gid / SOC 95.0%
Oct 17 - 78F - Blink public L2 - 281 / 100% Gid / SOC 95.0%

Tony - why this question? Are you thinking that the charge level could depend on the EVSE used?

Considering the very limited things done by an EVSE, I'm hard pressed to see how this could happen.

DoxyLover said:
Tony - why this question? Are you thinking that the charge level could depend on the EVSE used?

Considering the very limited things done by an EVSE, I'm hard pressed to see how this could happen.

Me, too. That's why we will eliminate the possibility!!!

TonyWilliams said:
DoxyLover said:

OK, that's probably a good idea.

Definitely got more Gids than I was expecting from a Chargepoint a few weeks ago. Got 248, the most I'd gotten since late August. At home I'd been getting mid-230s to mid-240s without any shenanigans. But even with shenanigans, I've only been able to get close to that of late. Certainly haven't been able to get there just by plugging in and leaving things to the fates.

TonyWilliams said:
DoxyLover said:

Well for that matter, you should probably compare 208V charging to 240V charging.

Many home EVSEs would be using 240V, but business ones are more likely 208V...

There is absolutely no difference between the Blink and our upgraded 16A (Rev2) unit, so long as you don't have any timers set in the Blink.

The car determines the finish of charging, and the loss factor in the cabling/EVSE is so similar between the units it's immaterial.

I can't go on record for other EVSE's, but unless the Blink has a software crash (does happen), it will allow the car to complete it's charge cycle fully.

I see 279 GIDs (Watt Hours * 80) almost every time I charge fully.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
There is absolutely no difference between the Blink and our upgraded 16A (Rev2) unit, so long as you don't have any timers set in the Blink.

Certainly, that would seem logical. Do you use a Blink at all?

-Phil

Presumably on the 16a modified Panasonic EVSE?

TEG said:
Well for that matter, you should probably compare 208V charging to 240V charging.

Many home EVSEs would be using 240V, but business ones are more likely 208V...

Good point. I guess that could be a Blink variation between public and private. But we don't know the voltage of every unit in the public, but we can presume 240v in our houses.

I think hs that charger on steroids stressing his blink EVSE

TonyWilliams said:
Ingineer said:

Certainly, that would seem logical. Do you use a Blink at all?

-Phil

Presumably on the 16a modified Panasonic EVSE?

10/17/2012; Mod EVSE version 1; 11ºC (51.8 F) 280/281* 100% GID count

* ok, i HAD to get pictorial evidence on this, so i went in got my camera, was sidetracked by Son (had to put get waffles going) for less than 2 minutes, i come back out and I am down to 280!!

perfection is now gone!!

but this increase in GID is a hollow victory. SO running late combined with drop in temps means she barely made it home last night (27 GID) so now we are back to full winter mode. put seat heater back in. now, the big question; will she take the LEAF. i may have to claim that there is no gas in Prius...

Back