User avatar
Ingineer
Posts: 2735
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969
Location: Berkeley, California
Contact: Website

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 am

overbergerc wrote:Many thanks to Phil and Mark for their advice so far. We are lucky to have them on this forum.
Thanks for posting this Chuck! The upgraded EVSE survived because the lightning hit is a common mode disturbance, and the EVSE has MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors) designed to shunt this to ground.

Sadly, a direct strike of this magnitude is almost impossible to protect against. The good thing is that they are relatively rare.

Chuck, Keep us posted! I'd love to see pictures also!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Herm
Posts: 3765
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Timbuktu, Mali

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:15 am

The lighting strike probably stressed lots of items in the house and car that have not failed yet

overbergerc
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 016151
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 am

Herm wrote:The lighting strike probably stressed lots of items in the house and car that have not failed yet



Probably, but not too much "didin't fail" Pretty much took out everything but the kitchen appliances.



Chuck

overbergerc
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 016151
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeah !!

Car is back. 6K later. Modulator (VCM) ~1450.00, OB Charger, 1750.00, both coolant pumps, 600.00 each (attached to the DC buss and grounded.). Labor, 1200.00 and a case of Bell's Beer. EVSE is charging at 240V, no problem. I missed my car ! Spent 120.00 in fuel on the rental which Nissan will reimburse.

I'll send fotos of the "lightning art" this weekend. Thanks for all the kind words !!


Chuck O


overbergerc wrote:
Herm wrote:The lighting strike probably stressed lots of items in the house and car that have not failed yet



Probably, but not too much "didin't fail" Pretty much took out everything but the kitchen appliances.



Chuck

overbergerc
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 016151
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Well,
I have the old parts. I'm told the charger has an internal fuse. The VCM and pumps are probably not worth trying to fix, but the charger might be. Anyone (Phil)? have any schematics or functional diagrams of this gear?

Chuck



overbergerc wrote:Yea!

Car is back. 6K later. Modulator (VCM) ~1450.00, OB Charger, 1750.00, both coolant pumps, 600.00 each (attached to the DC buss and grounded.). Labor, 1200.00 and a case of Bell's Beer. EVSE is charging at 240V, no problem. I missed my car ! Spent 120.00 in fuel on the rental which Nissan will reimburse.

I'll send fotos of the "lightning art" this weekend. Thanks for all the kind words !!


Chuck O


overbergerc wrote:
Herm wrote:The lighting strike probably stressed lots of items in the house and car that have not failed yet



Probably, but not too much "didin't fail" Pretty much took out everything but the kitchen appliances.



Chuck

User avatar
keydiver
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:04 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484
Location: Hobe Sound, Florida
Contact: Website

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 pm

adric22 wrote:After that, I replaced the outdoor ethernet cable with fiber optic.


Smart move! This is why I try to do everything I can across fiber now. I just built a guest house on my property for my parents to move here, and everything connected to the house is fiber, except the electric feed of course. ;) Cable TV, phone, and 100 Mbs ethernet/internet connection are all singlemode fiber underground. In my experience, long runs of copper are like a magnet for lightning damage. A strike anywhere nearby can induce enough voltage into the lines to fry the electronics on both ends.
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

User avatar
Ingineer
Posts: 2735
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969
Location: Berkeley, California
Contact: Website

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 am

overbergerc wrote:Well,
I have the old parts. I'm told the charger has an internal fuse. The VCM and pumps are probably not worth trying to fix, but the charger might be. Anyone (Phil)? have any schematics or functional diagrams of this gear?

Chuck
No schematics, but I can bet with confidence it's not as simple as a fuse. At a minimum, the CAN transceivers are probably toast.

I'd love to do a failure mode analysis if you are willing to ship me the parts. I'll even provide a shipping label. I'll post the results here so that everyone can benefit.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

overbergerc
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 016151
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

I'll be happy to. If you don't mind paying the UPS, that would be great. I'm still waiting for the check from the insurance company. The out of pocket on the care is about 4k so far !! I'll PM you my vitals !

Chuck

Ingineer wrote:
overbergerc wrote:Well,
I have the old parts. I'm told the charger has an internal fuse. The VCM and pumps are probably not worth trying to fix, but the charger might be. Anyone (Phil)? have any schematics or functional diagrams of this gear?

Chuck
No schematics, but I can bet with confidence it's not as simple as a fuse. At a minimum, the CAN transceivers are probably toast.

I'd love to do a failure mode analysis if you are willing to ship me the parts. I'll even provide a shipping label. I'll post the results here so that everyone can benefit.

-Phil

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7067
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:16 pm

^^^
That's awesome to see Phil wants to dig in.

How much will you owe out of pocket after insurance? It's too bad it sounds like Nissan didn't want to help cover it or do a failure analysis on the parts. :(

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

overbergerc
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 016151
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Lightning Strike saga

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Nothing,
as long as the insurance company comes through..and I suspect they will. I had to prepay for the parts at the dealership as the warranty won't cover lightning damage. The insurance company seemed to think they could find parts after market for less than dealer MSRP..for a 2012 electric car! We shall see what comes of it.

cwerdna wrote:^^^
That's awesome to see Phil wants to dig in.

How much will you owe out of pocket after insurance? It's too bad it sounds like Nissan didn't want to help cover it or do a failure analysis on the parts. :(

Return to “Engineering”