finman100
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2014

Re: Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 am

Another data point:

My 2014 Leaf SV, 45k miles, developed this clicking when accelerating and slowing about 2 months ago. Temps are warming up a bit here in OR so driving around with windows down proved too much clicking to be heard! Called Kiefer Nissan in Corvallis. Scheduled an appointment.

Short version (4 1/2 hours later, they also updated two unrelated software things): Axle nut(s) on both front axles were loose. NEW torque spec fixed my clicking. Tech told me the new spec (200 Nm, 147 ft-lbs) is needed for ALL Nissans with these same axles (Leaf, Juke, Sentra). old spec (125 Nm, 92 ft-lbs) allows for too much play and eventually the clicking ensues. 120 buck diagnose fee reduced to $60 labor only. I am pretty happy. They did a great job explaining.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions you may have.

I did the best homework I could thru the interwebs and put together a word doc to show the service person and tech person. TSB ntb12-055 did not apply to my VIN range. peculiar but I guess not unheard of to have similar problem traits as others, yet not be included in a service bulletin. No grease was used.

We shall see how this works long term and will try to re-post in a few months. Thanks to all who support and post to this great forum!
Albany, Oregon
2014 Silver SV with charge/LED package. June 2014, I'm in the EV game!
46,000 miles
17.5 kWh on 100% charge (51-ish Ah), down 1 bar
4.2 miles/kWh average
Best trip: all of 'em. They're all no-gas!

lmobi
Delivery Date: 25 Aug 2016
Leaf Number: 411139

Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 am

HELP!

I've heard a clicking sound since December, they did the service bulletin (ntb12-055) twice. Dealer kept the car overnight to no avail.

I've taken my 2013 Nissan LEAF three times to El Monte Nissan, they told me to ask for a service tech to come, Tim. They didn't have the scope (chasis ears) to figure out what it is. Tim couldn't determine what it is.

I need to find a Nissan Dealer in Southern California that actually knows how to diagnosis the problem. I had a bad experience with Nissan Alhambra and Ross/El Monte. ANY Suggestions would be great---If anyone know a good place to take a Nissan LEAF SV for repair please let me know.

You are welcome to contact me directly at 626 921-6497.
2013 Nissan LEAF SV 43 K, 11 Bars

PolinEV
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2017

Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 am

Excellent info finman100!

I will speak to my dealer about higher torque setting for the driveaxles. We tried the lube route and that proved to not be a lasting solution.

Thanks and I will report back with any results I have.

finman100 wrote:Another data point:

My 2014 Leaf SV, 45k miles, developed this clicking when accelerating and slowing about 2 months ago. Temps are warming up a bit here in OR so driving around with windows down proved too much clicking to be heard! Called Kiefer Nissan in Corvallis. Scheduled an appointment.

Short version (4 1/2 hours later, they also updated two unrelated software things): Axle nut(s) on both front axles were loose. NEW torque spec fixed my clicking. Tech told me the new spec (200 Nm, 147 ft-lbs) is needed for ALL Nissans with these same axles (Leaf, Juke, Sentra). old spec (125 Nm, 92 ft-lbs) allows for too much play and eventually the clicking ensues. 120 buck diagnose fee reduced to $60 labor only. I am pretty happy. They did a great job explaining.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions you may have.

I did the best homework I could thru the interwebs and put together a word doc to show the service person and tech person. TSB ntb12-055 did not apply to my VIN range. peculiar but I guess not unheard of to have similar problem traits as others, yet not be included in a service bulletin. No grease was used.

We shall see how this works long term and will try to re-post in a few months. Thanks to all who support and post to this great forum!
2014 Leaf S, bought in March 2017.

lmobi

Tue May 29, 2018 11:29 am

Well I'm very glad I eventually found out was wrong with my 2013 Nissan LEAF SV:

It needs:
A new left axle-
A new transmission.

To diagnose the transmission, Dave Okamoto at Puente Hills Nissan put it up on a lift and shot video of the under carriage of my Leaf and another Leaf-- my LEAF's transmission made noise.

The good news- my drivetrain warranty ends June 13, 2018 and it the close to $2000 in repairs is covered by warranty---

Do not give up when you hear a sound in a quiet electric car--it could mean something minor or major like a transmission!

ByeFO
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 407834

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm

lmobi wrote:To diagnose the transmission, Dave Okamoto at Puente Hills Nissan put it up on a lift and shot video of the under carriage of my Leaf and another Leaf-- my LEAF's transmission made noise.

Can you explain this a little more? Did he mean there was something visibly wrong with the transmission?

Or did he get the transmission to make the noise even though the car was on a lift and not moving?

The Leaf mechanic at my dealer might not have heard of this and might need more info.

Thanks,
2013 (4/2013) Pearl White SV LED/QC package
6/13/17: 22,852mi; AHr= 54.13; SOH= 82%
6/19/18: 39,934mi; AHr= 51.60; SOH= 69.5%

lmobi

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:33 pm

The tech was able to reproduce the noise, while my LEAF was in reverse on the lift, he shot video of another LEAF same year/model on the lift in reverse which did not make the noise.

BTW my LEAF now has much better pickup and drives like a new Altima. … it is so smooth and feisty. Previously, the car was sort of anemic like it had asthma, no pep. I thought that all Nissan LEAFs were like that. It had a draggy feel. I think there was defect in the transmission from the start. Now it has great pickup and torque.

The bad news is that when I took the car home there was an another noise while I went up the hill on my way home---suspected suspension. There will a $280 diagnostic fee to figure out what it is---growl.

The good news/bad news is that there is no engine noise therefore I can hear every click, clunk and chug.

Return to “Engineering”