kikbuti
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 311978

Re: Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 am

I have a clack sound too. It sounds like engaging and disengaging and two magnetic plates slap together. I hear it on the expressway when traffic slows to a crawl. I roll down the windows and the sound bounces off the concrete barrier. When I take my foot off the accelerator, "clack". When I accelerate again, "clack". I have a 2013 SL with 2,900 miles.

I will schedule a visit to the dealer.
2013 Cayenne Red Leaf SL ordered April 3rd Delivered April 17, 2013 2-yr lease ended

2016 Pearl White Leaf SL Premium April 14, 2017
Siemens VersiCharge 240V 30A EVSE

2017 Volvo XC60 Inscription

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 am

planet4ever wrote:
cliff wrote:Hopefully not from bearing arcing due to a problem with the reduction gear brush.
Good try, but not on a LEAF motor. It has no brushes at all. The rotor is a permanent magnet, and the only place the electricity goes is to the stator.
Sorry Ray, Cliff is right on this one. All AC motors can induce eddy currents in the rotor shaft that will circulate through the bearings and destroy them. They use 2 methods to stop this, one is an insulator on one (or both) sides, and the other is a "bypass" brush which lets the current go around the bearing.

The LEAF's motor is BLDC, but in an induction motor, such as the Tesla has, there are massive currents circulating in the rotor, even though there is no electrical connection to it, and this is essential to motor operation. In the LEAF's BLDC, This is just an unintentional induction effect. They use the brush to bypass any eddy currents.

Back to the OT: I've seen this clicking/spalling noise occur on un-lubed splines in many cases. Sounds like this is the main issue to me. All they need to do is lube the splines.

The click (sounds like "tak" on mine) from forward to reverse is likely the brake pads shifting and is not a concern.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Bateman
Delivery Date: 25 May 2013

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 am

Got my Leaf back this morning and the lubrication seems to have resolved the issue. Fingers crossed that this solution isn't a temporary fix.
Bateman
2013 Blue Ocean Leaf SV

abngeek
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 406027

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Noticed the same thing today. Sound reminds me a lot of the time in my younger days when I forgot to cinch the lug nuts all the way on my front wheel drive car. Not a rattle at all, more like a "thunk-click-CLAK" when shifting the rotational load (i.e. letting off the accelerator, coming to a complete stop, starting from a stop, etc.).

Just over a thousand miles on my 2013 SL - had it less than a month :(. Guess I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow.

kikbuti
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 311978

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 am

kikbuti wrote:I will schedule a visit to the dealer.

This post can go to at least 2 other threads. Feel free to move/copy.

Received an email supposedly from Dealer Service Manager stating "Your 2013 Nissan LEAF may soon be due for its first service." Yesterday, I clicked on the button, "Schedule Your Service Appointment" and a web page opened up for me to fill in the blanks. After submission, a message said that a service advisor would contact me.

This morning, I checked Carwings and received message "Unable to update vehicle status at this time." I tried again and found Leaf was not charged as schedule. In the garage I could see that vehicle was now charging. Time for work, not charged enough for round trip, so went to dealer who told me that it takes a few days before service advisor contacts after using the "third party" service. I advised "third party" service should have said so. At any rate, they couldn't work on it today. They brought out their Leaf technician who didn't seem knowledgeable about the July 1 PDM software upgrade bulletin or the click clack noise. They all seemed more concerned about my Siemens EVSE that I use at home. Told them EVSE not the problem. Several members of mynissanleaf.com forum have same problem and it is not the EVSE. Scheduled for drop off in two days and they will pay for rental.

Got to work and parked in public EVSE about mile from work. 2 Leafs and a Volt in the 4 station EVSE. Volt not plugged in. Cord ripped from post. Plugged in vacant EVSE. Leaf shows "not plugged in." Probably the breaker is tripped because of its companion EVSE on the 2 sided pole. Will go down again at lunchtime and hopefully one of the other Leafs are unplugged. If not, may not have enough juice to get home. Temperatures in 80s and 90s with humidity 60s and 70s. Sweated through my shirt walking to work. Will be tough to drive home with climate control off. Wish me luck.
2013 Cayenne Red Leaf SL ordered April 3rd Delivered April 17, 2013 2-yr lease ended

2016 Pearl White Leaf SL Premium April 14, 2017
Siemens VersiCharge 240V 30A EVSE

2017 Volvo XC60 Inscription

Bateman
Delivery Date: 25 May 2013

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:57 am

kikbuti,

That sounds like a very frustrating day all-around! :| Out of curiosity, which dealer were you trying to schedule service online with?
Bateman
2013 Blue Ocean Leaf SV

pointlomadave
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2013

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:06 pm

I have the "Click" too on accel and decel. Click is louder the harder I accel or decel. 2013 model with 3200 miles. Maybe I'll get it looked at. It is annoying and should not be happening on a new car.

Thanks everyone for confirming that I'm not the only one with this issue. This proves "Misery Loves Company!"

markus
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 000348

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:28 am

My 2011 has the single click when changing directions. My first thought was a bad tie rod end but the brake pads shifting sounds like a good explanation. I would take it to the dealership but my local dealer is not certified and will not even concider looking at it and the closest dealer is 400 miles away. One of the other Leaf owners in town needed the bumper cover replaced and had to take the fight to Nissan to get our local dealer to even allow the car in the body shop.
'11 Ignition Red SL former Nissan Canada demo car.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:11 am

I've never seen this thread for some reason!

My LEAF has had the same clicking sound from day one out of the dealers lot!

Mine sounds like it comes from the passenger rear tire. sounds like a clink, high pitched sound, metal on metal, like hitting a spoon on a piece of galvanized sheet metal.

Does it when I launch off and when I come to a complete stop.

Next maintenance is in April 2014, I'm pretty sure I'm waiting till then,

What are the splines?
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

tszukow
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2013
Leaf Number: 408765

Re: Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration- So

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi, the dealer and especially two mechanics I have good technical conversation with has fixed the problem. They said it's quite common problem not only with Leafs. There was bad design axle to hub connection. They replaced with new type of compression washer and the nut both sides. The problem is usually only on the left side due to shorter drive axle.
Parts replaced-2 pcs of:
40037-1CVA0A Washer
40262-1CA0A Nut
40073-0L700 Pin

about 45 min labour.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SL with Premium Package .
3.2 kW Solar.

Return to “Engineering”