Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Re: Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 pm

My 2011 makes a clicking noise sometimes when slowly accelerating from a stop. Sounds like playing cards in a bicycle wheel we used to do when we were young (only much more subtle and no cards involved). Seems to happen more when it is cold. Only noticeable below about 5 MPH. Happening a bit more than it was originally, have had it for several years. I haven't decided whether to do anything about it.
Lifetime 5.5 m/kWh (Dash) over 61,000 miles / 72 months
Capacity Loss Predicted - 28.4% Actual - 31.3%
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

GoingGreener
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2011

Fri May 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks drees & RegGuheert.

I've also been letting it go since our caliper tweak didn't fix the sound. Like you both, our 5yr warranty is not too far off & the LEAF's clicking seems more frequent, so I thought better to get it checked. Before I bring it in, I'm also going to listen for any clicking during turning too. Maybe it could be when I turn the steering wheel too hard/fast during parking that I hear a sound. That way any issues can be addressed on one visit. Lol, yup, I also like to do some homework, esp. on this forum (thanks again) before approaching the dealership for services :)

GoingGreener
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2011

Fri May 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks Stoaty. I'll have to observe more if it's happening to our's when cold also. Like your's, it's happening more frequently lately.

BTW, since we don't have oil changes, has anyone lube their doors/hatch etc...? Hatch has been creaking.

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Fri May 06, 2016 6:48 pm

My 2011 began "clicking" on during acceleration and decceleration late last year. I had the spline lub and bolt retorque TSB work done at the dealership. The "clicking" stopped for a couple of months. However it's returned. I can do the trick where you stop and hold the brake - it will click once. The put it in reverse, hold the brake and press the accelerator - it will click again.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

dbontrager
Delivery Date: 30 Jun 2016

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Today my Nissan dealer replaced my Axel for this problem and it fixed the clicking noise.

babonbangke
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 305686

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:39 am

I'm having the same problem now on my 2016 SV. Looks like I'd have to bring this in to have it checked out.

ekill
Delivery Date: 20 Aug 2016

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:34 pm

I have a 2013 Leaf SV with the clicking sound on acceleration and deceleration. The final fix was a new motor. The Nissan dealership called there engineering department and they authorized the replacement. Hope this helps. The Dealership was Nissan of Elk Grove CA

Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Took my 2011 Leaf to a trusted independent mechanic for the clicking noise, which is now more obvious when cold, but fairly subtle when Leaf is warmer. He went for a brief drive with me and said, "It isn't the suspension. I believe it is in the drive train. Since it happens only at slow speed and not under load I wouldn't worry about it." He also said he used to service Leafs for a business that had a number of them, but there was never much to do. "Even at 120,000 miles the brakes were still fine."

PS He said he would like to have a Tesla, but doesn't want to invest that much money in a "depreciating asset" even though he could afford it.

Trying to decide if I should go to Nissan dealer to have it checked (should have done 8 months ago before 5 year warranty expired) or just not worry about it since the Leaf drives fine.
Lifetime 5.5 m/kWh (Dash) over 61,000 miles / 72 months
Capacity Loss Predicted - 28.4% Actual - 31.3%
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Sandrat954
Delivery Date: 16 May 2017

Tue May 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Just so everyone knows, this is not just a LEAF issue. I have a 2015 Nissan Sentra SV(25,854miles)that is doing the same clicking noise during deceleration and acceleration and sometimes even braking. Sometimes even during turning. I started hearing it around 25,000 miles. I clocked in that I can reproduce the sound fairly easily when driving between 30-35 mph. When I let up off the gas pedal within that mph range I get the click, then when I increase speed I get the click again. And then when I break there goes the click yet again. Sometimes when turning the click is there as well, no matter which way I turn.

I'm just hoping mine requires only lubing as well because I drive for Uber and don't make much money. I just hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get this repair done ughhhh. And it's so annoying with passengers because you know they hear it. But the sound seems to have nothing to do with the way the car drives. My car is braking and driving just fine, but that click is just soooo annoying. Sometimes I can feel the click with my foot through the gas pedal or brake as well.

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Wed May 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I took my LEAF in a couple of months ago for some TSBs and recalls, and mentioned the clicking noise. Sure enough, there was a TSB on it, and they (IIRC) lubricated the axle and/or bearings. 5000 miles later, I'm still not experiencing the clicking noise.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

Return to “Engineering”