EVDRIVER

Re: Electric Power Steering

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:28 am

planet4ever wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:The difference is telling someone when you turn the key there is no noise, and how to put it in drive, learning curve over.

What's this? Turn the key? I missed that part - please enlighten me. ;)

Actually, for us Prius drivers I think the only learning curve may be that we have to reach down rather than forward for the shifter. Oh, and I know I'm going to have to think twice about where the parking brake is, but I don't need that often since I usually park on level ground.

Key, Button whatever, the only difference is when you start an EV there is no noise, that is the part that throws people for the first few seconds and then they are adjusted. The idea that Nissan worked hard to make the leaf like an ICE car is a complete joke. There is nothing to do other than explain the starting and that's it. There was no grand engineering effort to make it feel the same.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:07 am

EVDRIVER wrote:more options for the benefits of EV drivers like adjustable regen and tighter steering .........Every car drives differently, and if you've ever driven a Ford Focus, you would not say the LEAF is "Americanized" (I have, and I can tell you the Ford has very stiff steering).

Funny, those are the two changes I would want for the LEAF.

Yes, I drive two Ford Focii. The '03 has very heavy steering, even compared to it's '05 sibling. But I like it that way....good for the biceps! :D
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 79,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

EVDRIVER

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 am

mwalsh wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:more options for the benefits of EV drivers like adjustable regen and tighter steering .........Every car drives differently, and if you've ever driven a Ford Focus, you would not say the LEAF is "Americanized" (I have, and I can tell you the Ford has very stiff steering).

Funny, those are the two changes I would want for the LEAF.

Yes, I drive two Ford Focii. The '03 has very heavy steering, even compared to it's '05 sibling. But I like it that way....good for the biceps! :D

I should qualify and say that having less assist at low speeds does not mean it will be difficult to steer or park, I will say the leaf is over assisted and actually feels to easy which makes the car feel less connected and not as refined. Since I have not driven it at high speed I hope it is not the same at higher speeds.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:54 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Key, Button whatever, the only difference is when you start an EV there is no noise, that is the part that throws people for the first few seconds and then they are adjusted. The idea that Nissan worked hard to make the leaf like an ICE car is a complete joke. There is nothing to do other than explain the starting and that's it. There was no grand engineering effort to make it feel the same.

Actually, for Prius drivers the difference is that there is a noise (i.e. a chime sound) as the LEAF powers up. Our Prius is completely silent; we have to watch the panel to see what is happening. My feeling is that Nissan consciously tried to emulate the way the Prius works.
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Most factory EVs drive like normal cars, this is not a big feat, in fact I think they ever did it here with soft steering. One thing that will confuse people is the parking brake which is NOT like a normal car unless you drive a $100K Audi. And what kind of leaning curve is really needed to drive an EV? The Mini e is a conversion not a good example either. The Leaf is more like a family car and has few "driver" attributes, the EV factor is irrelevant. If they really wanted to make it more like a ICE they would have put in a manual lever for the parking brake but at least they departed from that. Making changes from an ICE is a good thing and frankly I prefer it was less like an ICE vehicle and had more options for the benefits of EV drivers like adjustable regen and tighter steering (not EV centric) which feels much better and connected. If anything I would say it's "Americanized".

Having the parking brake be electronic is probably a safety issue. Since there is no engine braking (at least when powered down), it's important to make sure the car doesn't accidentally roll down some big hill.
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

zhang719
Delivery Date: 29 Nov 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:51 am

Does anyone has the pin definition of the leaf EPS outsider connector. Mainly the following signals: Ignition, GND, CAN +, CAN -. Thanks

Return to “Engineering”