fotajoye
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 669

Re: The introduction of in-wheel motors for BEVs/PHEVs. When

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Don't get me wrong; I hope someday the tech problems can be solved for hub motors; the advantage of having everything inside the rim is enormous. I can't think of a better EV configuration than to have the inverter, brakes,suspension, and motors at the four corners and the battery in the bottom center; think of all that space.

Kris1
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 200165

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:21 pm

http://sunswift.com/eve.html are hoping to have their vehicle road registerable next year.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:30 am

Yet another benefit from applying torque to each wheel individually.

I expect this would probably increase tread life also, unless you get into the habit of making a lot of very tight turns by opposite side wheels in reverse drive directions...

Torque Vector Steering Improves Electric Vehicle Energy Efficiency

Germany's Karlsruhe Institute for Technology along with industry partner Schaeffler are researching improvements in electric vehicle energy efficiency by using brake steer or torque vector control of wheel motors to assist power steering.

The project "Intelligent Assisted Steering System with Optimum Energy Efficiency for Electric Vehicles (e²-Lenk)" subsidized by the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) focuses on a new assisted steering concept. In conventional vehicles, the internal combustion engine not only accelerates the car but also supplies on-board assist systems with energy; such as the assisted steering system, which reduces the strain on the driver at the wheel.

In electric vehicles, this energy comes from the battery and also reduces the range as a result. In this research project by the collaborating partners, Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT) and Schaeffler, the steering system is assisted in an energy-efficient manner by intelligent control of the drive torques transmitted to the individual wheels. The project is being sponsored by BMBF with a sum of around 0.6 million euros over 3 years and was started in January 2015.

"The new assisted steering system would require less system components in an electric vehicle, this would mean savings in terms of weight and energy in an electric vehicle", explain project managers Dr. Marcel Mayer, Schaeffler, and Dr. Michael Frey, KIT. "This would mean that an electric car would be cheaper and have a greater range." Materials and production steps can be saved due to the potential optimization of the design and weight.

The basic idea of the e²-Lenk project is simple: The wheels in an electric car will be driven individually by electric motors in contrast to a car with an internal combustion engine where all the wheels are provided with equal force. If the wheels on the left side transmit more drive torque to the road than those on the right side, this will result in acceleration of the vehicle to the right without the need to turn the front wheels or consume additional energy for steering...

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/201 ... roves.html
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: The introduction of in-wheel motors for BEVs/PHEVs. When?

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:55 pm

We've heard it all before, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy listening to Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn explain why he's still in favor of electric vehicles. Plus, if we've heard it a few times, imagine how many times he's had to say it. It happened again this morning at the opening breakfast for the New York Auto Show, and it was as clear and concise an explanation as you can imagine...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/23/for- ... -solution/

And at about two minutes thirty seconds into the wide-ranging video, Carlos Ghosn mentions:

...in-wheel motors...the future of the electric car...

I doubt CG would have brought that subject up if he hadn't already seen them in use in prototypes.

Still, I will be (pleasantly) surprised if in-wheel motors were to show up as soon as the gen 2 LEAF.
no condition is permanent

fotajoye
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 669

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Nissan has had five years and couldn't, or wouldn't develop a long range battery pack for the Leaf; like all the other legacy car makers they run in the middle of the pack as a follower, not as a leader/innovator. They are excellent at press releases and vapor on products they will never offer to the Public. It's amazing how my '100 mile 2011 Leaf" turned out to be good for 50-60 miles from the day I bought it. In-wheel motors on a Leaf...I don't think so!

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:10 am

It's not really about Nissan being a follower. Heck, when it comes to mass-market BEV, they were the first. But they are mainly a traditional automaker, and they weren't "all-in" like Tesla was. Now Tesla will be coming out with a mass-market car that should blow the doors off the Leaf, and Chevy may have also passed them up when the Bolt comes out. We'll have to see what the next version of the Leaf looks like, but to me it looks like Nissan didn't do enough to build upon its first-mover position and will quickly lose it.
2012 Black SV, 7 bars, 100,000 miles

Return to “Engineering”