How to change Leaf´s display from Miles to Km?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kornman

Hi, I am about to import a used Leaf from the US, because your prices are *much* lower than here in Europe.
The only thing that differs (as far as I can see) is that you are keen on miles and we like km.
On some other cars, like SAAB for instance, this is easy changed by a setting in the menus of the cars computer.
Does anybody know if this change is possible in the Leaf?

Kornman said:
Hi, I am about to import a used Leaf from the US, because your prices are *much* lower than here in Europe.
The only thing that differs (as far as I can see) is that you are keen on miles and we like km.

Would you happen to be in Norway? Used American Leafs seem to be quite marketable there.

As far as the differences between EU and US-spec, it's more than just the speedometer/odometer units. Leafs sold in the US and Canada do not have a rear fog lamp, so if that is required in your country, that will need to be added on. There are front and rear side marker lamps (US requirement) that may need to be disabled (in particular, the amber-colored front) but at least the 2011/2012 models have the turn signal repeaters in the front fenders that seem to be required in the EU.

The FM radio tunes every other frequency "on the odd" (97.1, 97.3, 97.5, etc.) so it will not pick up stations that are in between, which I understand is used in Europe. XM satellite radio will of course not work, and the CarWings telematic feature may or may not work. It uses the AT&T Wireless service, but I'm not sure if putting in a SIM card from an EU telecom is sufficient to make it work over there.

^^^
Yeah, the GSM frequencies (AT&T being a GSM carrier) supported by the Carwings system may not be the available or have good coverage in Europe.

Your mains voltage is probably 230v. The "trickle charging cord" provided with an American Leaf is designed for 120v. Not only will the plug not fit, but you will destroy the electronics if you connect it to 230v.

Ray

Thank you everybody for your kind help!
Especially RonDawg who mentioned all the details that differs, and tipped me about Norway. I am in their neighbor country so I understand their language quite well.
There I found http://www.elbilforum.no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Like you indicated, I found people who have imported their Leafs from the US. Sharing their problems and solutions. Very valuable.

You are right about the FM-radio, but it works quite well anyway.
Carwings is hacked to work in Europe, and the solution is on the forum.
And, yes the charging cord needs to be replaced with a 240V cord.
Unsolved problem seems to be that people are having problems to find maps for the navigator.

Thanks again.

Kornman said:
And, yes the charging cord needs to be replaced with a 240V cord.
No need to replace the EVSE. simply have it upgraded to universal voltage at EVSEupgrade.com.
Kornman said:
Unsolved problem seems to be that people are having problems to find maps for the navigator.
We have an unresolved problem with the maps in our LEAF: They don't seem to know where many of our destinations are!

Enjoy your LEAF!

BUT does it mean that the car is NOT The same? The Transportation Ministry in Israel allow US cars to be imported to Israel provide that parts are available. I assume that it should be very similar (from obvious reasons). But I need to convince the authorities that the charging system can be used should be the same I think, and most parts are just the same.
I assume that knowing that ICE cars are imported to Israel means that the safety issue should NOT be the most important issue.
I still hope to find a way to compare technical specs so that I may be able to convince them, I already own the car so it is a very big issue for me. I would love to drive that car.

I have serious problem, as I'm trying to import Nissan Leaf from the US to Israel.
TODAY I got NO from the Transportation Ministry in Israel, since the car code is NOT the same as the UK made car.

AS much as I know technically the differences between the US model and the European is very small if any.
I have purchased December 2013 LSV model (as it state on the title). The car is just waiting (in NJ) for the approval!

I think that I should be able to prove that the differences between European to US version is
Tiny if any, but I have no Idea how to it...

I wish I could contact Technical Nissan people to undersand what actually is the diffrent.
Maybe I should compare technical manual of the two side by side UK and US???

Any suggestion?

Kornman said:
[...]
There I found http://www.elbilforum.no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
[...]
You are right about the FM-radio, but it works quite well anyway.
Carwings is hacked to work in Europe, and the solution is on the forum.
[...]
Hi! Would you please point me out the Carwings solution? I have zero command of Norwegian. Tried via Google Translate, had no luck.

And no chance with FM? I heard about a solution here in Kyiv. They charge $150 for that. Probably will do step change with them.

Back