Temperature Bar data collection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

I'm somewhat confused about the meaning of the temperature bars.

The Wiki isn't much help: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery#Battery_Temperature_Gauge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now that people have OBD scan tools that can read out the temperature sensor, I would like to see if we can get enough data to update the Wiki.

What I would like you to do is to post TB and temperature sensor readings as replies to this. Once we get enough replies, we can plot them and see what we learn.
Might want to note if you have significant capacity loss, as there is speculation that might affect Temperature Bar readout as well. Amp hours suggested. F or C, I don't care.

Sample replies (ok, real data from my car)

TB Battery temperatures
5 64F 64F 63F 63F

TB Battery temperatures
5 18C 18C 17C 17C

(66 Ah)

WetEV said:
I'm somewhat confused about the meaning of the temperature bars.
We all are!
WetEV said:
Might want to note if you have significant capacity loss, as there is speculation that might affect Temperature Bar readout as well.
It's more than mere speculation. Nissan printed the following notes in the service manual for the 2011 LEAF next to the graph containing the data you find in the Wiki:
Note:
- Li-ion battery temperature gauge displays Li-ion battery temperature by correcting it according to the battery capacity. Consequently, the number of lighting segments of Li-ion battery temperature gauge can be different regardless of the same Li-ion battery temperature.
- This graph shows corrected temperatures. These do not agree with the CONSULT temperature shown in data monitor item "BATT TEMP".

Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.

Looking at the service manuals for 2011, 2012 and 2013 it looks like
T1 is in the back of the rear pack, dead center.
T2 is on the top/outer/right side of the front right module stack (ie, under the passenger seat)
T3 (only on 2011/12) is right side, back corner of the rear pack.
T4 (on 2013) is right side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under right rear passenger's feet.
T4 (on 2011/12) is left side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under left rear passenger's feet

Can anyone double check that?

GregH said:
Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.
A couple of days ago I saw the exact moment when the 6th temp bar came on; the minimum temp was 77.3 (probably just passed 77) and maximum was around 78.8 (don't recall exact number). So I agree on 77 degrees, but for me it was triggered when the minimum temp sensor reached that reading, not the maximum.

Stoaty said:
GregH said:
A couple of days ago I saw the exact moment when the 6th temp bar came on; the minimum temp was 77.3 (probably just passed 77) and maximum was around 78.8 (don't recall exact number). So I agree on 77 degrees, but for me it was triggered when the minimum temp sensor reached that reading, not the maximum.
I've seen 6 bars with a min pack temp below 77 degrees but above 76 degrees. If people could collect actual sensor readouts from just below/above 6-bar threshold it would be useful... Lately my car has been at 5 TB, have been waiting for the transition but haven't seen it for a few weeks.

GregH said:

Looking at the service manuals for 2011, 2012 and 2013 it looks like
T1 is in the back of the rear pack, dead center.
T2 is on the top/outer/right side of the front right module stack (ie, under the passenger seat)
T3 (only on 2011/12) is right side, back corner of the rear pack.
T4 (on 2013) is right side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under right rear passenger's feet.
T4 (on 2011/12) is left side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under left rear passenger's feet

Can anyone double check that?

This is absolutely correct. Well done!

drees said:
Stoaty said:
GregH said:
I've seen 6 bars with a min pack temp below 77 degrees but above 76 degrees. If people could collect actual sensor readouts from just below/above 6-bar threshold it would be useful... Lately my car has been at 5 TB, have been waiting for the transition but haven't seen it for a few weeks.

You guys all realize that the threshold data is metric, right? So 25C makes sense from 5 to 6 bars.

Stanton said:
LEAFfan said:
7 TBs/99, 99, 100 (all rounded)
61 AH

For the record, what's the official cutoff/threshold for the TB#7? Is it 98?

36.8C/98.2F degrees, from the service manual.

LEAF Batt Temp
Segments Degrees C (F). Temp difference
12----------60---------(140).........4.5F
11----------57.5-------(135.5)......4.5F
10----------55---------(131).........4.5F
9-----------52.5-------(126.5)......4.5F
8-----------50---------(122)........23.8F
7-----------36.8-------(98.2)......23.9F
6-----------23.5-------(74.3)......23.9F
5-----------10.3-------(50.5)......23.9F
4----------/ -3---------(26.6).......5.4F
3----------/ -6---------(21.2).......5.4F
2----------/ -9---------(15.8).......5.4F
1----------/-12--------(10.4).......5.4F
0----------/ -15---------(5).........5.4F

TonyWilliams said:
You guys all realize that the threshold data is metric, right? So 25C makes sense from 5 to 6 bars.
Yes, I realize that... it's just that I don't think in metric, except perhaps for ice or boiling water. ;)

Stanton said:
LEAFfan said:
7 TBs/99, 99, 100 (all rounded)
61 AH

For the record, what's the official cutoff/threshold for the TB#7? Is it 98?

No, a little lower. Right now, it is still 7 TBs, 101F ambient for almost 3 hours, and readings are 99, 99, 98. The threshold for 7 bars may be 96-97F for the highest sensor. The first readings above were after arriving home at 9:50 AM.

Stoaty said:
TonyWilliams said:
Yes, I realize that... it's just that I don't think in metric, except perhaps for ice or boiling water. ;)
I spent a lot of years in the lab and transition between the two systems easily. In addition to ice, body temp (37ºC), and boiling* there are some temperatures that are especially easy to remember:

41ºF = 5ºC
50ºF = 10ºC
59ºF = 15ºC
68ºF = 20ºC (oldtimers who used a darkroom for developing film know this one)
77ºF = 25ºC
86ºF = 30ºC
95ºF = 35ºC
104ºF = 40ºC

* Boiling temperature is reduced significantly at high altitude, which is why things take longer to cook up high. Boiling temperature where I live is about 92ºC (198ºF).

I watched closely today, and when my highest BS showed 95.9F, it jumped from 6 TBs to 7. After I arrived home, and it cooled about 4 hours, the highest TS was 95.8F and I then had 6 bars again. The ambient garage temp was 101- 103F.

LEAFfan said:
I watched closely today, and when my highest BS showed 95.9F, it jumped from 6 TBs to 7. After I arrived home, and it cooled about 4 hours, the highest TS was 95.8F and I then had 6 bars again. The ambient garage temp was 101- 103F.
Probably based on 35 degrees C. (95 degrees F.), although it still isn't clear to me whether it is the maximum or minimum temp sensor that triggers the change. From my experience, I would say it is the minimum temperature sensor. What was your minimum temp sensor at 7 temperature bars, and at 6 temperature bars (if you have the data)?

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
Probably based on 35 degrees C. (95 degrees F.), although it still isn't clear to me whether it is the maximum or minimum temp sensor that triggers the change. From my experience, I would say it is the minimum temperature sensor. What was your minimum temp sensor at 7 temperature bars, and at 6 temperature bars (if you have the data)?

On my car, it has to be when the maximum TS reaches 95.9F because the lower ones didn't trigger the 7th TB. There was only a few tenths difference between the 3. When the highest one dropped to 95.8F, then and only then did it drop to 6. Again, the other 2 were a few tenths lower, but didn't make it go to 6 bars. So for me, it is very clear to me that the highest one is the tripper which I've suspected from the beginning. It may be different for '11-12s since they have 4 sensors.

Had these temperature readings shortly after the car went from 5-6 TBs: 78.9 79.3 77.8 78.7

Unfortunately, I didn't have the phone on when the transition happened so couldn't see the temperatures immediately.

Another interesting observation today: The car sat in the garage for 6 hours today with the garage being 100-104F during those six hours. The highest TS was 93 and the other two around 92.4. I'm wondering what the '11-'12's highest TS would be at those ambient temps for six hours?

Back