Regenerative braking safety question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indyflick

Will your break lights (or some other warning light) come on when you lift your foot off the accelerator, even if you're not depressing the break? Seems like there should be some sort of warning to the cars behind you that you are slowing. This seems to be especially true in eco mode which, according to what I've read, has increased regenerative braking. So even though you're not using your brakes, you are deaccelerating quicker than an ICE vehicle would normally.

indyflick said:
Will your break lights (or some other warning light) come on when you lift your foot off the accelerator, even if you're not depressing the break? Seems like there should be some sort of warning to the cars behind you that you are slowing. This seems to be especially true in eco mode which, according to what I've read, has increased regenerative braking. So even though you're not using your brakes, you are deaccelerating quicker than an ICE vehicle would normally.
No, your brake lights will not illuminate when you take your foot off of the accelerator. The amount of deceleration is minimal compared to those without regeneration. Also, the regeneration doesn't get aggressive at all until you depress the brake pedal, in which case the rear brake lights will illuminate.

The highest level of regen on the Leaf is moderate at best. EVs have been around for some time and these is no safety issue here, no more than a high compression ICE. Does anyone think Nissan would have a safety issue like this? Issues like this have been hashed out over and over with auto makers and the Leaf behaves more like a normal car than an EV.

I agree with EVDriver, the Leaf regen is minimal even in Eco. It was even less than you get dropping an ICE into Low gear in an automatic. So no need to do anything with the brake lights. It just will slow it slightly. You will not stop completely with that unless it is over a very long time.

With aggressive regen like in the Mini, they needed to trigger the brake lights because you will very noticeably slow down when you stop accelerating. And could easily come to a full stop just with regen.

I hope there is an option to up the regen amount so we can get that throttled turns I liked in the Mini-E so much.

EVNation said:
I agree with EVDriver, the Leaf regen is minimal even in Eco. It was even less than you get dropping an ICE into Low gear in an automatic. So no need to do anything with the brake lights. It just will slow it slightly. You will not stop completely with that unless it is over a very long time.

With aggressive regen like in the Mini, they needed to trigger the brake lights because you will very noticeably slow down when you stop accelerating. And could easily come to a full stop just with regen.

I hope there is an option to up the regen amount so we can get that throttled turns I liked in the Mini-E so much.

Even some pre-programmed modes with stronger regen, the Leaf will use the brake pads often for some drivers and even small cars like the Think had a button on the dash to turn off regen so you could get the rust off the brake rotors! The Leaf brakes appear to be standard full size brakes. More hacking time..

Back