Steel Reinforced Battery Pack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apacheguy

Apologies if this has already been covered in depth. Question is how is the Leaf battery protected from underneath?

My google search on the topic provided a very vague answer that the pack is "steel reinforced" but I'm hoping someone here could elaborate.

apacheguy said:
Apologies if this has already been covered in depth. Question is how is the Leaf battery protected from underneath?

My google search on the topic provided a very vague answer that the pack is "steel reinforced" but I'm hoping someone here could elaborate.

Are you worried that running over a hitch bar might perforate the underside, and that your Leaf will burst into flames? Because I've had the same thought! I've looked at a few accident reports for the Nissan Leaf, and ... no fires reported.

Anyone willing to take one for the team, and run over a random piece of metal to verify the strength of the steel? :twisted:

SimonMTL said:
Are you worried that running over a hitch bar might perforate the underside, and that your Leaf will burst into flames? Because I've had the same thought! I've looked at a few accident reports for the Nissan Leaf, and ... no fires reported.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a sense for the structural differences here. It's interesting because while I see the reinforcement bars in the graphic, I don't see anything like a ballistic shield to prevent an object from impaling the pack between those bars.

apacheguy said:
SimonMTL said:

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a sense for the structural differences here. It's interesting because while I see the reinforcement bars in the graphic, I don't see anything like a ballistic shield to prevent an object from impaling the pack between those bars.

The pack itself also has a steel enclosure. Not sure what the thickness is. Tesla's plate is Aluminum, iirc.

This doc has some more info

http://www.nhtsa.gov/pdf/ev/nissan_presentation-bob_yakushi.pptx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, remember the battery chemistry in the Leaf is VERY different than the Tesla: that is the Leaf is much LESS flammable (by orders of magnitude I believe). I know there's another thread that discusses this (and recently).

ERG4ALL said:
Also, remember the battery chemistry in the Leaf is VERY different than the Tesla

I am assuming that the Tesla's battery has a higher energy density than the LEAF. Anybody know?

Yes, it does, and significantly moreso. The trade off is more volatile chemistry by an order of magnitude for Tesla.

The bottom of the LEAF battery is normal sheet metal. Yes, it could be (and probably has been) punctured with a low risk of fire. That's also why it doesn't need an active cooling system. Tesla REQUIRES that the cells always be cooled.

Here is Charles Whalen, from October 2010, before the Volt, LEAF and Tesla Model S were sold to the public:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5243-Volt-thermal-management-system-temperature-band&p=43732#post43732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
The Leaf has a unique self-defense strategy: the moment the car hits a rough patch of road the Ecopias self-destruct. :)

They also have the similar safety feature in the rain, they no longer function so you stop and wait for the rain to stop. Thus keeping you safe :)

This was somewhat topical: My dad was driving the car yesterday when the car in front kicked up a metal pole speared it into the LEAF's bumper. He thought he drove over it until he got home and saw the damage. I suppose I should be glad that it was just the bumper and nothing more serious. The pole penetrated deeply enough to dislodge the foglight from its mount. It could have caused a lot more damage or death had it penetrated elsewhere at a different angle.

wFTbxQZ.jpg

Back