Technical Headlight question for you sparky types

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking into trading someone with a 2013 S model with halogen low beams for my 2012 headlights with LED low beams due to the icing up in north Idaho. Can any one look up the wiring schematic for the two and see if the headlight assembly's will interchange with no alterations in wiring?? Plug and play?

Thanks in advance

I don't know if the incandescent S has the adjustable leveling feature that the LED versions do but if not, that might be one issue...

69800 said:
I am looking into trading someone with a 2013 S model with halogen low beams for my 2012 headlights with LED low beams due to the icing up in north Idaho. Can any one look up the wiring schematic for the two and see if the headlight assembly's will interchange with no alterations in wiring?? Plug and play?

It's surely not going to be plug and play.

The halogen system is looking for a single 2 filament bulb (3 wire connection at a single point), while from my own HID experience, I know that the High beam wiring for the LED assembly is totally separate.

It would be no big task for someone with rudimentary wiring experience to pull the hot for low beams and the hot for high-beams and split the negatives and make it look professional.

The LED pitch adjustment issue is interesting though.

Not insurmountable.
I wonder what the no power default condition is?
Could you set the pitch in the OEM vehicle, and would it stay put after moving it over to a car with no connection?

My Audi goes through a very noticeable headlight adjustment sequence when you start the car at night, but I have never seen anything like that with the Leaf.

I think the Leaf's adjustment is purely passive unless you act on it to change the pitch.

I think if you set it, and remove the headlights, it would probably stay put.

Interesting?!
Post about what you discover and some pictures of the adjustment mechanism if you decide to proceed.

Thanks

afterthought:

Except to play with it when I purchased it, I have never ever adjusted beam pitch on the LED low beams.
No reason.
How many "normal" cars let you remotely adjust headlight pitch?
My Porsche 928S did, but those headlight stowed (retracted).

How about some aftermarket halogen fog lights aimed slightly lower than the LED low beams for use during headlight icing conditions? Another option would be to add the factory fog lights from an SL.

Gerry

I have considered all of these things. The wiring would not be insurmountable but I has hoping they engineered the new halogens from the factory so the harnesses were all the same. Halogen fogs would be a good back up. I have tried everything on the lenses except rain ex... with give it a try.
thank

Also, the high-beams are conventional and put out considerable heat. If conditions permit, running them for a couple of minutes could help loosen any accumulation and combined with Rain-X, allow it to slide off.

Back