6KW and 3 KW charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xado1

here in austria and germany is the leaf loader limited to 3,3Kw.does anybody know how they do it?is it limited by software,or to they use a different charger?in netherlands and all other states they charge with 6KW

xado1 said:
here in austria and germany is the leaf loader limited to 3,3Kw.does anybody know how they do it?is it limited by software,or to they use a different charger?in netherlands and all other states they charge with 6KW

All U.S. 2011 & 2012's, and the 2013 "S" (without charger upgrade package) have the 3.3 kW on board charger. The other 2013's have the 6 kW OBC. I don't know why the 6 kW OBC shouldn't be available in Germany and Austria.

Xado, do you have a 2012 or a 2013 LEAF? I forgot, I'm sorry. I think all of the LEAFs from the "Botschafter" program, which were mentioned on goingelectric.de, were 2012s. That model year did not have a 6 kW OBC (onboard charger) available. Nissan apparently has two charger types, the old one from Nichicon, which offers a 3 kW charge rate, and a new one from a different vendor, which offers 6 kW.
batteryproblemmnl

xado1 said:
not in germany and austria,here u cant order the 6kw charger,its because of the 1 phase electric law
I think the BMW i3 will be similarly limited in Germany. That EV will have two 3.3 kW onboard chargers in parallel in its US trim. In Germany and Austria, as you point out, the i3 will have only one 3.3 kW charger. What does the regulation say again? Does it imply that an EV cannot draw more then 3 kW from a single phase?

So, could you get a LEAF from another EU country that has the 6kW OBD? You'd still be limited to drawing 3.3 kW in Germany, but if you travel outside, you could use the whole 6kW?

I would try to assume you have the regular 3.3 kW charger in the vehicle. But most of us primarily just know the USA specifications. The cord also gives a signal to the car to limit amps to what the cord is rated.

I think Shuko is about 13a max at 230v for 3680 watts input and probably limits the charge to 3 kW. The cord brick should give max power specs and could be a bit less. To get 3.3 kW into the battery you will need close to 4.0 kW input to the vehicle. To get full power you may need a hard wired evse charging cord.

so far i think not the sky is the limit but the thickness of the cable and its according law. the 16A iccb + cable is 2,5mm², the 32A mennekes - yazaki cable has 6,0mm² wires and i assume (one) 1 resistor that tells the outlet to charge at full power. i dont think there is a software change necessary at 04/2013+ leafs. maybe the numbers in the dash are missing but thats something i dont need because i dont sit in the car while charging. somebody should order THIS cable and give it a try: http://www.ratio.nl/en/catalog/articles/5089/mode-3-type-2-to-1 charging time for a normal emptied battery should be under 3 hours. and we have thousends of 22kW typ 2 outlets in europe.

Woosie said:
You can order the 6kw charging package in a 2013 S model. I know, that's what I drive!

If looking at Nissan Leaf on the preowned market .. How can one identify which Leaf's have the 3.3 kw on board charger and which ones
have the 6.6kw charger installed?

Synergetic said:
Woosie said:
You can order the 6kw charging package in a 2013 S model. I know, that's what I drive!

If looking at Nissan Leaf on the preowned market .. How can one identify which Leaf's have the 3.3 kw on board charger and which ones
have the 6.6kw charger installed?

2011 & 12 were all 3.3

2013 and up, the S is the only 3.3, unless it has QC, then it's 6.6

Back