Cleanmpg : Review of Leaf, with a lot of watt/mile info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35656

I noticed the LEAF’s energy consumption while booted up was just .25 KW. The inverter, multiple ECU’s dash and MFD displays are powered up and we are only consuming 250W? That is a very well designed system to put it bluntly!
Acceleration to a stop sign about 1/2 of a mile away and it had more pickup than I had suspected while still maintaining a 3.5 to 4 mile/KW per the ECD. Wow, accelerating to over 30 mph with the ECD showing less than 300 Wh/mile? I have never been in an automobile that could do that! EVER!
Now back through a number of stop signs and lights and its back towards the launch. A pegged iECD and the aECD is climbing fast. 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 6.8 and then 6.9 as I turn into the Hotel parking lot. I place the shifter to P and the DTE reads 51 miles. For a non-hypermiling friendly drive route thanks to the lights, signs non-priority routing and a short burst of lower highway speed, 6.9 miles/kWh or 144 Wh/mile is the best I have ever achieved in anything and that includes the Honda Insight at over 200 mpg after conversion!

An optional 50 KW DC charger will charge the battery from 0 to 80% in 30 minutes. A 240 V home charger can charge the LEAF from 0-100% in less than 8 hours and the 3.3 KW 120v onboard charger can recharge the battery from 0-100% in approximately 20 hours.
Oops, slight misunderstanding there by the authors, Mike Sirach and Wayne Gerdes.

2011 Nissan LEAF Early Conclusions

Given the low energy consumption when booted up and parked at just .25 kW and the stunning 144 Wh/mile when driving a city/suburban loop with speeds at some point exceeding 50 mph, what else is there to say? It rides reasonably smooth, it handles better than the Subcompact Mazda2 and Fiesta, its interior noise is much more subdued when compared against a 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2010 Honda Insight-II and 2010 Toyota Prius plus it had some really fun to play with telematics that we cannot wait to try out over a far lengthier period. I can only imagine what the LEAF will offer in terms of all-electric range when let loose but let us just say it should exceed most drivers and Hev , Phev and Bev enthusiasts expectations given the above.

He got 144Wh/mile with 3 people in the car and the tires at the standard pressure, assuming 23kWh usable capacity that works out to a range of 160 miles.

I'm curious about the 250W while "idle". What do you suppose that goes to? Forgetting the inverter for a moment, if it was a regular car with a 12v system, that would be a 20 Amp draw. Seems a bit high, no?

Herm said:
He got 144Wh/mile with 3 people in the car and the tires at the standard pressure, assuming 23kWh usable capacity that works out to a range of 160 miles.

As the great Karen once said in the other forum.

extrapolating.png

Back