Nissan saying front end clicking is normal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbciv

I posted on this a while back when I first noticed a clicking sound on acceleration and deceleration, as have many other posters. I heard that it was likely a CV joint issue and the dealer seemed to confirm, though never specifically stated what the problem was. I just went in for my fourth visit and was totally blown off by the Nissan corporate service advisor.

The first time I went in, they did the spline lube and it stopped. Started again about 800 miles later.
Second time, they added some support with bolts and washers and it stopped. Started again about 1000 miles later.
Third time, they replaced the entire hub assembly on both sides and it stopped. Started again about 1000 miles later.

Now, the dealer is telling me it is not the same noise (which it absolutely is), that it is the traction motor and that Nissan corporate says it is a normal sound, it is perfectly safe, and they will do no further service to the car.

I believe I am totally being blown off because this is the 4th time in and it now falls under our State's lemon law. I love my Leaf, but they know this is a problem and they are doing nothing to fix it.

Anyone else have new info on this problem?

I heard it again on my LEAF for the first time in 6 months the other day.

I think because it's warm out again and I could hear it now because the windows were open.

I'm not bringing it in. I don't have that much free time.

I used to hear it often but then discovered it was coming from my head not the car. Is there a TSB for that?

Update*

After hearing from my dealer that the clicking was normal and coming from the motor, I called the EV service hotline and got an appointment with a Nissan Engineer. After 2 min in my car, he said that is was not normal and not the motor. Later that day, he called to tell me that the previous repairs the dealer had done to the front end (per the service bulletins) were done incorrectly. He said they used the wrong lubricant and torqued the support bolts they added too tightly. He had them replace it with a moly lubricant that is supposed to be more slippery and properly torqued the bolts to spec and said that I should have no further problems. He also mentioned that this is a regular occurrence on the Titan and Armada, which likely supports earlier claims here that the CV joints are sized too small for the weight of the vehicle.

Just have to wait and see if it comes back again. At least this time it will definitely fall under the lemon law if it does.

Heard mine again yesterday. I like the way it sounds. I'm at 13,526 miles, when I'm at 15K and I bring the LEAF in for its main battery testing then maybe I'll bring it up.

It would be much easier if Nissan assigned a Service # to this issue.

I have a 2014 with just over 5000km on it and my front end started clicking a month or so ago. I had it in yesterday for the airbag recall and I mentioned it. After they were done they said the mechanic didn't hear anything. I didn't have time to argue so it will wait until my next service or if it gets worse. You can hear it both on braking and acceleration.

Does your 2014 have the missing welding spots? Did you hear about that major recall where they are replacing the whole LEAF?

kaikara said:
I have a 2014 with just over 5000km on it and my front end started clicking a month or so ago. I had it in yesterday for the airbag recall and I mentioned it. After they were done they said the mechanic didn't hear anything. I didn't have time to argue so it will wait until my next service or if it gets worse. You can hear it both on braking and acceleration.

My Leaf was built before the timeframe of the recall. I asked about it when I was there yesterday and they checked to make sure the welds were there and everything is fine.

Lasareath said:
Does your 2014 have the missing welding spots? Did you hear about that major recall where they are replacing the whole LEAF?

If the clicking noise is the first time backing up after coming to a stop and letting it sit for a while (as in overnight or at work), it may just simply be the disc brake pads shifting position. Other front driver's I've had developed the same noise and so did my Leaf. Have never had this noise on a rear-drive car. Once the brakes are warmed up again after driving a bit the noise goes away.

Back