Difference between the e-brake and "park" button

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwat1234

Does anybody know what happens when the "P" is pressed on the joystick?
vs
What happens with the e-brake button is engaged?

"P" = front brakes lock , ebrake = rear brake lock?

What happens if you hit "P" while moving? What about engaging the e-brake while moving?

I can see that the ebrake can be dangerous because a child (or anybody curious) could pull up on the e-brake and lock up the rear axle or whatever it does and cause a crash.

Thanks

Park locks the drive system, park locks the rear brakes. Same as any other car.

I'm sure EVDriver will update his post at some point, but until then - "P" does "Park" just like a regular automatic - it engages a pawl (a term I learned here - I'm not extremely car savvy) while e-brake electronically engages the brakes. Since it's all electronic, I would guess that the car is programmed to not activate either one while moving.

If the Parking Brake (you call e-brake) is for parking only (not an Emergency Brake), then it might not activate while the car is moving. Uses the mechanical brake hydraulic system(s), probably both the front and rear systems. But, the exact operation is not yet fully known here.

The "Park" mode button on the shifter would engage the "pawl" on the drive train, but is most likely interlocked to not activate while the car is moving. Does not use the machanical brakes. Again, the exact operation conditions are not yet known here.

The quick reference guide says that the parking brake will turn itself off when you start driving (if 3 conditions are met). I took this to mean that it won't engage when moving. Also it says to press the brakes hard before you activate them. Maybe it locks the hydraulic lines with the pressure you applied?

Either way, this likely means no more E-brake turns for me...

Maybe I can add a little to this:

The Park function on the shifter drops a mechanical pin in to a gear in the drive-train. This mechanically locks the front wheels and, has been stated elsewhere here, is exactly the same as park on a conventional car with front wheel drive.

The Emergency Brake function mechanically locks the rear wheels. It uses a mechanical motor driven mechanism that clamps the rear disk brake calipers. The reason that Nissan recommends you press the brakes when actuating this function is two fold: It allows the rear brakes to be set harder by using the mechanical advantage of the foot brake, and it decreases the effort that the mechanical mechanism would otherwise have to use to set the brakes.

Both systems have safe guards that prevent them from being engaged when the care is in "gear" and/or moving.

Tom

Electric4Me said:
The quick reference guide says that the parking brake will turn itself off when you start driving (if 3 conditions are met). I took this to mean that it won't engage when moving. Also it says to press the brakes hard before you activate them. Maybe it locks the hydraulic lines with the pressure you applied?

No matter how you slice it, Nissan really missed a chance to "improve" on age-old methods and controls here.

I still maintain there should be a "Start/Forward" "Start/Reverse" and "Off" button only, and no "joystick" in the console with "forward for reverse" "backward for forward".

The parking brake, parking pawl, inverter power, whatever should all be automatic. I don't need individual control of all these mechanisms, and they mean less and less anyway. Go, and Stay Put. That's the electric car of the future.

GroundLoop said:
No matter how you slice it, Nissan really missed a chance to "improve" on age-old methods and controls here.

I still maintain there should be a "Start/Forward" "Start/Reverse" and "Off" button only, and no "joystick" in the console with "forward for reverse" "backward for forward".

The parking brake, parking pawl, inverter power, whatever should all be automatic. I don't need individual control of all these mechanisms, and they mean less and less anyway. Go, and Stay Put. That's the electric car of the future.

Many of the Thinks had this on the dash and more space in the center. Some also had a paddle shifter on the dash.

Electric4Me said:

It is both disappointing and relieving that the e-brake supposedly will not engage while moving. A passenger can't press something that would cause a crash, but that also means that I can't go driftin in the snow with this badboy! Seriously it is not a tiny flaw imo. I like my e-brake. How else am I going to take speedbumps sideways on slippery mornings?
And what about recovering from pit maneuvers from the police (or other sideswipes)? I mean, assuming the stability control and a bit of shoving of the accelerator pedal and smart aiming of the front wheels wouldn't be enough..

No I'm serious. I like to have control of my wheels.

danwat1234 said:
Electric4Me said:

It is both disappointing and relieving that the e-brake supposedly will not engage while moving. A passenger can't press something that would cause a crash, but that also means that I can't go driftin in the snow with this badboy! Seriously it is not a tiny flaw imo. I like my e-brake. How else am I going to take speedbumps sideways on slippery mornings?
And what about recovering from pit maneuvers from the police (or other sideswipes)? I mean, assuming the stability control and a bit of shoving of the accelerator pedal and smart aiming of the front wheels wouldn't be enough..

No I'm serious. I like to have control of my wheels.

It's a four-door family car, I doubt that the Nissan product dev people saw that as a mildly important feature.

Back