keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Re: Disable The Cellular Radio

Wed May 13, 2015 7:41 pm

knightmb wrote:I thought you could turn off the cellular radio in the menu?

Yes, but can the NSA turn it back on??? :twisted:
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

jmh
Delivery Date: 06 Mar 2016

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:20 am

TomT wrote:Clearly there is no lack of paranoia among Leaf owners... :lol:

Watch this:

https://www.aclu.org/feature/you-are-being-tracked

...the problem isn't leaf owners, it is our government and its blatant disregard for our constitution. Not only that, recent hacking leaf control developments strongly suggest that you should disable this 'feature'.

You will still be tracked - by all the other things that are there to 'protect' us: license plate readers, cell stingers, etc... but why should we aid this violation of our civil rights.

Now for my question, have those who have disconnected the antenna successfully stopped the alerts?

It would be a handy mod to have a switch to kill the power to the TCU but be able to turn it on for essential patch downloads.

And finally to share a little paranoia, My brother who was an avid cell phone user died of a brain tumor. Should we really have yet another EM emitter in our proximity? Not that I expect that to impact anybody with a phone glued to their ear. Thankfully, we have limited range to reduce our exposure.

XeonPony
Delivery Date: 03 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 413826

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:38 am

The rf emissions are out side the vehicle body so it is a non issue, using the cell phone inside the car would be the largest source. I do not use wireless at home and I have a 5minute rule for my cell, if you can't give me the 6 W's within 5 minutes I am hanging up. it is amazing how much pleasant that has made life!

As for the Tin foil hatism case, unless you are living off grid up the mountain with a hidden hydro system you are tracked 78 ways to sunday and back Welcome to the modern world you will be assimilated resistance is awkward and some what futile.

But you got the info, have fun with it, perhaps as you learn more you'll get the pointlessness of it or learn to do it proper. being you have a DL, a Phone, fixed address you simply are not serious about it or not ready to do it.
2013 SV Leaf, Level 2 charger, so far all works great! 130Km daily, 100% charge at night on 240 then trickle charge for 8H durring the day on 120v.

Level 2 charge starts at 130am environmental starts at 6am to 25c for a toasty warm defrosted car!

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:40 am

knightmb wrote:I thought you could turn off the cellular radio in the menu? At least it will disable all the carwings related stuff, don't know if the radio stays on in standby or not.

I believe so (Page 5-19 of the Nav manual). However, I'm not sure that would be sufficient for the truly paranoid! :lol:
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Turnover
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 410371

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:40 am

I spent time in the military in the 1960's collecting information from the radio waves for NSA. There were one hell of a lot of radio broadcasts of which we were interested in a minuscule number. We did have an overreach (Chicago 1968 - Democratic Convention - SDS, Police, etc.) but this was investigated by Congress and that sort of operation was made illegal except under very unusual circumstances and under a special court sanctions and contol.

Translating this to the world of today, we are bombarded with all manner of radio/electronic signals to the point where there are not even the resources to find that proverbial needle in the haystack even with the current computer capacities much less review the information found. So things are highly prioritized and some Leaf owner in the Bay Area is unlikely to have any government following unless they are a Bin Laden type figure.

Still, in our minds we are unique and important. Our problems and interests are so important from our individual viewpoints that we post on this blog in hope to obtain anonymity from the Government out of paranoia, while being blind to the fact that such an inquiry could raise unwarranted suspicions in itself. :lol:

Until, a Leaf can easily travel to a remote wildlife refuge, this is a non-issue. :?
Last edited by Turnover on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 SL:
03/30/16 43,300 mi - 383 QC's & 2467 L1/L2's 79% SOH
2013 SV (#410371) - Purchased 4/25/2016:
4/28/16 18,115 mi- 4 QC's & 705 L1/L2's 97% SOH
2/18/17 28,756 mi- 66.17 AHr, SOH 100%, Hx 101.45% 284 GiDs

jmh

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:43 am

Thank you for the replies. I have pasted the following from the manual:

Note, turning off “Vehicle
Information Sharing with NISSAN” will only
disable the automatic sharing of information at
vehicle start-up. Certain categories of data may5. NissanConnect SM EV
still be transmitted if vehicle telematics features

Now I am sure that the first thing I did when I read the previous paragraph was turn this off - but I'm pretty sure this was prior to getting weather alerts, which indicates to me that:
1) The device is still on.
2) My position is being tracked (as the helpful alert was regional - I also don't need this in a car I only drive 50 miles from home).

The TCU antenna is installed inside
the upper central part of the instru-
ment panel. An occupant should not
get any closer to the antenna than
specified by the pacemaker manu-5. NissanConnect SM EV
facturer. The radio waves from the
TCU antenna may adversely affect the
operation of the pacemaker while
using the NissanConnect SM EV.
Radio waves could adversely affect
electric medical equipment. Those
who use a pacemaker should contact
the electric medical equipment man-
ufacturer regarding the possible in-
fluences before use.

The previous block is also from the manual. This tells me that EM is not restricted to outside the vehicle. It also woke another thought and that is those who have disconnected the antenna (which is designed to radiate more in certain directions than other - upward?) may be subjecting themselves to more EM inside the cabin.

Anyway I agree that eliminating this spying is next to impossible - but there are lots of reason's to oppose it. Foremost, is it wrong - or perhaps your wife works as a police analyst and is now able track you to your girlfriend's house. I admit this is a bad example, because you are going to get caught anyway - but should your leaf be the one who screws you over?
Last edited by jmh on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmh

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:47 am

Turnover wrote:Still, in our minds we are unique and important. Our problems and interests are so important from our individual viewpoints that we post on this blog in hope to obtain anonymity from the Government out of paranoia, while being blind to the fact that such an inquiry could raise unwarranted suspicions in itself

I am glad a professional like yourself stated this. It does make the point rather succinctly...

jmh

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:36 pm

To continue, I would think the most useful feature of the cellular is to unlock the car when you lose the fob - I would be rather surprised if this is not functional. Just for laughs I'll put that idea together with the recent hack. The best thing that could happen is that they steal the cellular radio - but maybe they would leave that and take the car. The real question is does the vulnerability expose any functions critical to the operation of the car?

I don't know what features are accessible through this system - but I doubt it is limited to simply controlling the heat. In light of the lax security in this implementation, until these questions are answered, there are a lot more reasons for me to completely disable this 'feature'.

Is that being paranoid - or practical?

XeonPony

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:21 pm

jmh wrote:Thank you for the replies. I have pasted the following from the manual:

Radio waves could adversely affect
electric medical equipment. Those
who use a pacemaker should contact
the electric medical equipment man-
ufacturer regarding the possible in-
fluences before use.

The previous block is also from the manual. This tells me that EM is not restricted to outside the vehicle. It also woke another thought and that is those who have disconnected the antenna (which is designed to radiate more in certain directions than other - upward?) may be subjecting themselves to more EM inside the cabin.

What this does is cuase stress on the final stage of the transmitter due to high swr, where little energy is actualy sent out rather just wanders around cooking the transmitter transistor. With the Antenna connected properly over 99% of the radiated RF will be out side the vehicle

Anyway I agree that eliminating this spying is next to impossible - but there are lots of reason's to oppose it. Foremost, is it wrong - or perhaps your wife works as a police analyst and is now able track you to your girlfriend's house. I admit this is a bad example, because you are going to get caught anyway - but should your leaf be the one who screws you over?

How you fight it is via legislation, killing the patriot act and so on, electing out the neocons with people who will listen to the public which hey are supposed to serve rather then lobbyists and corporations
2013 SV Leaf, Level 2 charger, so far all works great! 130Km daily, 100% charge at night on 240 then trickle charge for 8H durring the day on 120v.

Level 2 charge starts at 130am environmental starts at 6am to 25c for a toasty warm defrosted car!

XeonPony

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:24 pm

jmh wrote:To continue, I would think the most useful feature of the cellular is to unlock the car when you lose the fob - I would be rather surprised if this is not functional. Just for laughs I'll put that idea together with the recent hack. The best thing that could happen is that they steal the cellular radio - but maybe they would leave that and take the car. The real question is does the vulnerability expose any functions critical to the operation of the car?

I don't know what features are accessible through this system - but I doubt it is limited to simply controlling the heat. In light of the lax security in this implementation, until these questions are answered, there are a lot more reasons for me to completely disable this 'feature'.

Is that being paranoid - or practical?

Paranoid, theifs are after fast easy money, they are not usualy inteligent either, the ones who are inteligent don't waste time boosting easy to trace vehicles.

It is a simple risk reward system for them, doors locked, security system on board, parked near high traffic area, risk is greater then the reward so they move on.

No one is out to get you, unless you make your self stand out in some interesting way, or violaqting some pretty high up laws!

Return to “Engineering”