What does the stability control disablation button do?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwat1234

There is a button to the left of the steering wheel, looks like this. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2011_scion_xb-car_news/gallery/2011_scion_xb_stability_control_button_photo_51

It disables something.
But does it disable Stability control, Traction control, and/or ABS?
My guess is that it would at least shut off Traction control because I heard somewhere that this button is used if you need to get out of a slippery situation.
Thanks

Confirmed that it shuts off at least Traction control ;
"But the big surprise was that with the stability control shut off, the environmentally friendly Leaf will do an NHRA-grade front-drive burnout. The Leaf’s surprising burnout gives me hope for the future of the automobile."
At the bottom of :http://blog.caranddriver.com/10best-surprise-the-nissan-leaf-burns-a-different-petroleum-product/

Possible that the button shuts off Stability control (braking of individual wheels) as well.
"Turn off VDC and you turn off TCS."
from LEAFguy on :: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=735&p=24250&hilit=stability+control#p24250

I asked the question of an engineer when I was there and this is what I was told: Pressing the button disables traction control, useful for certain road conditions. Unlike some other vehicles where holding the button will disable VSC (vehicle stability control), this is not the case with the Leaf and VSC and ABS are always on. Considering the intended use of the vehicle, this makes sense.

Tom

danwat1234 said:
There is a button to the left of the steering wheel, looks like this. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2011_scion_xb-car_news/gallery/2011_scion_xb_stability_control_button_photo_51

It disables something.
But does it disable Stability control, Traction control, and/or ABS?
My guess is that it would at least shut off Traction control because I heard somewhere that this button is used if you need to get out of a slippery situation.
Thanks

tcimpidis said:
I asked the question of an engineer when I was there and this is what I was told: Pressing the button disables traction control, useful for certain road conditions. Unlike some other vehicles where holding the button will disable VSC (vehicle stability control), this is not the case with the Leaf and VSC and ABS are always on. Considering the intended use of the vehicle, this makes sense.

Tom

Tom, the switch turns off the LEAFs Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system, and by definition, also turns off the Traction Control System (TCS), which is a subset of VDC. If you look at the LEAF Quick Reference Guide, it is labeled as switch number 13 - VDC Off Switch. The only real reason to turn off VDC is if the vehicle gets stuck in extremely low traction situations (mud or snow). VDC (and TCS) will not allow wheel spin, thus not allowing an attempt to "rock" the vehicle out of its situation. Once safely back on the road, VDC should be reengaged. This is standard functionality of the system on all Nissan products with VDC.

Actually, that may be true, though it is contrary to what the engineer told me, but it makes no sense regardless. VSC or VDC or whatever a given manufacturer calls it is a vehicle stability system that uses yaw sensors, input from steering angle, etc. to attempt to maintain the path of the vehicle as desired by the driver. It uses application of wheel brakes and modulation of throttle to accomplish this. By its vary nature, VSC plays no role when the vehicle is not moving and is generally not even active on most systems below 5 mph or so. Thus, turning it off in stuck vehicle situations would really accomplish nothing as it is the traction control system that is the controlling function in those situations. Plus, assuming you are not actually stuck but are driving in low traction, such on icy or snowy roads, you would definitely want both systems on.

Tom

LEAFguy said:
tcimpidis said:

Tom

Tom, the switch turns off the LEAFs Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system, and by definition, also turns off the Traction Control System (TCS), which is a subset of VDC. If you look at the LEAF Quick Reference Guide, it is labeled as switch number 13 - VDC Off Switch. The only real reason to turn off VDC is if the vehicle gets stuck in extremely low traction situations (mud or snow). VDC (and TCS) will not allow wheel spin, thus not allowing an attempt to "rock" the vehicle out of its situation. Once safely back on the road, VDC should be reengaged. This is standard functionality of the system on all Nissan products with VDC.

Will traction control reduce/disable regenerative braking in the event of braking on a slick surface and would let the ABS brake system take care of slowing the car down?
I can see a situation where the front wheels would lock up and steering control would be gone.

Back