LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopton

Not sure if this was covered any where else but I found this article...

http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/headlines2.phtml?cat=1&headline=Nissan+Leaf+debuts+on+Bridgestone+Ecopia+tires&id=1291409468

2011 Nissan Leaf

Nissan Motor Co. photo
TOKYO (Dec. 3, 2010) — Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. has selected Bridgestone Corp.’s rolling-resistance-optimized Ecopia tire as an OE fitment on its Leaf electric car being introduced this month across North America.

In North America, the Leaf rolls out on the all-season Ecopia EP422 in size P205/55R16 89H. The fitment for Japan and Europe is the Ecopia EP150 in size 205/55R16 91V.

Bridgestone claims the Ecopia line can improve a car’s fuel economy by as much as 5 percent, depending on what tires are being replaced.

Bridgestone first launched the Ecopia line in 1991 for electric vehicles and since then has developed the concept further for both passenger and commercial vehicles. It introduced the line in North America in 2009.

The tire maker has said in the past the Ecopia achieves its rolling-resistance improvement via a tread rubber that uses its NanoPro-Tech materials technology, which draws out the characteristics required to control the microstructure of materials through molecular design.

The Leaf has no spare tire; it is equipped with a tire repair kit instead.

The four-door, five-passenger Leaf hatchback is rated to deliver a range of 100 miles per charge. It’s expected to retail for $32,780, but prices could be as much as $7,000 lower depending on credits offered locally.

Nissan is expected to ship only about 20,000 Leafs to the U.S. in the first year. Production volume is limited by a new Japanese assembly line, and a new plant that is supplying the Leaf´s lithium-ion battery.

Nissan is investing $1.6 billion to construct another lithium-ion battery plant in Smyrna, Tenn., where it eventually will assemble the Leaf as well, but that supply will not come on line until late in 2012.

edatoakrun said:
Anyone know what the "tire repair kit " consists of? Anyone looked into how a spare will fit into the trunk?..

It's a 12V compressor with a can of goop that is injected when refilling. This is more or less a standard practice "spare" on cars with different front/rear wheel sizes (sport cars, etc). It usually works unless you tear the sidewall.

You could try to buy a space-save spare somewhere, it'll fit but will take up a lot of room.

PDXLeafer said:
Under the 'Specs' tab, it is the only one with almost no info. Is it just new, is it inferior, or did I miss reading something on the site?!?

It's Bridgestone's newest:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/GlamourIndex_BS_EN.aspx?productID=2071

DeaneG said:
PDXLeafer said:
Under the 'Specs' tab, it is the only one with almost no info. Is it just new, is it inferior, or did I miss reading something on the site?!?

It's Bridgestone's newest:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/GlamourIndex_BS_EN.aspx?productID=2071
But clicking on "Sizes and Specifications" showing 5 configurations, still does not show the one being used on the LEAF (according to silverleaf's phtostream 205/55/R16). And the 205 is the ONLY ONE not shown at the Bridgestone site when compared to the 6 sizes listed at TireRack. Odd.

PDXLeafer said:
Lopton said:
In North America, the Leaf rolls out on the all-season Ecopia EP422 in size P205/55R16 89H.
Interesting. According to this site: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422 that tire size is the ONLY ONE not listed as a 'low rolling resistant' tire. (Sizes & Pricing tab)

It's an awesome tire! I posted the specifics on another thread here somewhere, but I remember it has a really good warranty and is supposed to last many miles.

LEAFer said:
..And the 205 is the ONLY ONE not shown at the Bridgestone site when compared to the 6 sizes listed at TireRack. Odd.
It's pretty common to have a tire specifically made for a vehicle. I imagine we'll be able to buy them at Costco within a couple of years.

It seems like you could fit one or two wheels into the trunk area, vertically. Maybe get a roof rack and stack them up like an FJ. :)

I'd rather carry a compressor and proper tire plugs than the hail-mary fix-a-flat can.

PDXLeafer said:
Lopton said:
In North America, the Leaf rolls out on the all-season Ecopia EP422 in size P205/55R16 89H.
Interesting. According to this site: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422 that tire size is the ONLY ONE not listed as a 'low rolling resistant' tire. (Sizes & Pricing tab)

I plan to get Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max as replacements when the BS tires are worn
http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/assurance-fuel-max/

GroundLoop said:
I'd rather carry a compressor and proper tire plugs than the hail-mary fix-a-flat can.

The compressor is part of Nissan's kit - you'll have to buy your own plugs if you don't care for the can o' goo supplied.

smkettner said:
..I plan to get Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max as replacements when the BS tires are worn
http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/assurance-fuel-max/

The older Ecopia EP100's look pretty good in these tire rack comparison test charts:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=121
Detailed text:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=121

Looks like the only one to really stay away from is the Goodyear Integrity.

PDXLeafer said:

It is not even listed on Bridgestone's site yet. Likely the size was created specifically for the LEAF. Here's an article on low rolling resistance tires and their benefit.

I see these tires have a uniform quality treadwear rating of 400 which is good, although not the best. People talk about low rolling resistance saving gas but I think the longer wearing tires are, the better they are from an environmental standpoint. Think about the energy to manufacture and ship them, as well as the disposal problems. I know people with BMWs that the tires wear out in less than 10,000 miles; that must be having an environmental impact (not to mention a financial impact, $2k every year)

In my experience tires with higher treadwear ratings tend to have longer (panic) stopping distances compared to 10,000 mile gumballs. It's all a tradeoff.

Generally, you can have low rolling resistance and high life, or good stopping distance and handling/grip. Unfortunately, you can rarely have both so you have to decide which is more important to you. On a BMW, for example, it is usually the latter.

Tom

LTLFTcomposite said:
I see these tires have a uniform quality treadwear rating of 400 which is good, although not the best. People talk about low rolling resistance saving gas but I think the longer wearing tires are, the better they are from an environmental standpoint. Think about the energy to manufacture and ship them, as well as the disposal problems. I know people with BMWs that the tires wear out in less than 10,000 miles; that must be having an environmental impact (not to mention a financial impact, $2k every year)

I hope this is a reasonable thread for posting these questions.

Has anyone seen an engineering/physics evaluation of Nissan’s reasons for choosing a 16” wheel, 50 sidewall aspect ratio tire combination? Does this choice improve handling and/or mileage significantly, or is it primarily a styling choice?

From what I’ve read in this thread, it would make sense, assuming I could find a set of 15” wheels with the same bolting pattern, that a higher aspect ratio tire on a 15” rim should deliver better miles/kWh, and that, aesthetics be damned, a wheel with a simple flat hubcap would be better than one with spokes. I appreciate I would need to maintain the same overall diameter on the road to get the same revolutions/mile. Engineers, correct me if I am wrong. I’m just a chemist.

When the Goodyear Integrities on my 2004 Prius wore out, I replaced them with Nokian i3 tires. I live on the San Francisco Peninsula, no snow driving of significance unless I elect to go skiing, and reasonable temperatures for the most part. I like the service I am getting from them. The wear index reads 5 mm, down from 8 mm when new, after 32,500 miles of use. The most worn of the Goodyear tires demanded replacement at 35,400 miles. This Nokian website suggests I should get another 8000+ miles out of these tires, or 40,000 miles of useful wear before hydroplaning becomes an issue.

http://www.nokiantires.com/faq#markings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prius forum members quickly concluded that Toyota specified very low tire pressures for the GenII Prius. The sticker on the door post in my car says 35 psi front/33 psi rear. Received wisdom is that one gets better mileage and tire wear at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear if the tires on the car can handle those pressures.

Are the tire pressures recommended for the Nissan Leaf on the low side to optimize ride and noise over range and tire longevity? I see that the OEM Bridgestone’s have a maximum pressure rating of 44 psi according to the sidewall.

These Prius folks keep quite a list.

low-rolling-resistance-replacement-tires-current-list
Current: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/92778-low-rolling-resistance-replacement-tires-current-list.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Older: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/92774-low-rolling-resistance-replacement-tires-current-list.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm extremely impressed with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max so far. Seems like a great compromise.

[update]Added the Gen III more current thread with the help from later post[/update]

I suspect it was for styling. If you look at an early Prius with its little wheels and tires, it looks a lot like a go-kart and I think they wanted to minimize that. The trend these days in vehicle in general is larger wheels and tires. Plus, I'll bet that the efficiency difference between 15" and 16" was so small that Nissan considered it a non-issue.

As far as pressures, my rule of thumb has always been to go 4 pounds over the sticker pressure, or to the tire sidewall pressure, whichever was lower... Going higher and higher gives a decreasing return in rolling resistance but does compromise the ride and, depending on the tires and vehicle, the handling and braking...

baumgrenze said:
I hope this is a reasonable thread for posting these questions.

Has anyone seen an engineering/physics evaluation of Nissan’s reasons for choosing a 16” wheel, 50 sidewall aspect ratio tire combination? Does this choice improve handling and/or mileage significantly, or is it primarily a styling choice?

From what I’ve read in this thread, it would make sense, assuming I could find a set of 15” wheels with the same bolting pattern, that a higher aspect ratio tire on a 15” rim should deliver better miles/kWh, and that, aesthetics be damned, a wheel with a simple flat hubcap would be better than one with spokes. I appreciate I would need to maintain the same overall diameter on the road to get the same revolutions/mile. Engineers, correct me if I am wrong. I’m just a chemist.

When the Goodyear Integrities on my 2004 Prius wore out, I replaced them with Nokian i3 tires. I live on the San Francisco Peninsula, no snow driving of significance unless I elect to go skiing, and reasonable temperatures for the most part. I like the service I am getting from them. The wear index reads 5 mm, down from 8 mm when new, after 32,500 miles of use. The most worn of the Goodyear tires demanded replacement at 35,400 miles. This Nokian website suggests I should get another 8000+ miles out of these tires, or 40,000 miles of useful wear before hydroplaning becomes an issue.

http://www.nokiantires.com/faq#markings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prius forum members quickly concluded that Toyota specified very low tire pressures for the GenII Prius. The sticker on the door post in my car says 35 psi front/33 psi rear. Received wisdom is that one gets better mileage and tire wear at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear if the tires on the car can handle those pressures.

Are the tire pressures recommended for the Nissan Leaf on the low side to optimize ride and noise over range and tire longevity? I see that the OEM Bridgestone’s have a maximum pressure rating of 44 psi according to the sidewall.

Back