smkettner
Posts: 7355
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 pm

PDXLeafer wrote:
Lopton wrote:In North America, the Leaf rolls out on the all-season Ecopia EP422 in size P205/55R16 89H.

Interesting. According to this site: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422 that tire size is the ONLY ONE not listed as a 'low rolling resistant' tire. (Sizes & Pricing tab)

Under the 'Specs' tab, it is the only one with almost no info. Is it just new, is it inferior, or did I miss reading something on the site?!?

I plan to get Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max as replacements when the BS tires are worn
http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/assurance-fuel-max/
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

User avatar
DeaneG
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594
Location: Cupertino, CA

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:35 pm

GroundLoop wrote:I'd rather carry a compressor and proper tire plugs than the hail-mary fix-a-flat can.


The compressor is part of Nissan's kit - you'll have to buy your own plugs if you don't care for the can o' goo supplied.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

User avatar
DeaneG
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594
Location: Cupertino, CA

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:24 pm

smkettner wrote:..I plan to get Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max as replacements when the BS tires are worn
http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/assurance-fuel-max/


The older Ecopia EP100's look pretty good in these tire rack comparison test charts:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/cha ... p?ttid=121
Detailed text:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... p?ttid=121

Looks like the only one to really stay away from is the Goodyear Integrity.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

LEAFguy
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:41 pm

PDXLeafer wrote:Under the 'Specs' tab, it is the only one with almost no info. Is it just new, is it inferior, or did I miss reading something on the site?!?


It is not even listed on Bridgestone's site yet. Likely the size was created specifically for the LEAF. Here's an article on low rolling resistance tires and their benefit.

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4671
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:12 am

I see these tires have a uniform quality treadwear rating of 400 which is good, although not the best. People talk about low rolling resistance saving gas but I think the longer wearing tires are, the better they are from an environmental standpoint. Think about the energy to manufacture and ship them, as well as the disposal problems. I know people with BMWs that the tires wear out in less than 10,000 miles; that must be having an environmental impact (not to mention a financial impact, $2k every year)
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

User avatar
DeaneG
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594
Location: Cupertino, CA

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 am

In my experience tires with higher treadwear ratings tend to have longer (panic) stopping distances compared to 10,000 mile gumballs. It's all a tradeoff.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 am

Generally, you can have low rolling resistance and high life, or good stopping distance and handling/grip. Unfortunately, you can rarely have both so you have to decide which is more important to you. On a BMW, for example, it is usually the latter.

Tom


LTLFTcomposite wrote:I see these tires have a uniform quality treadwear rating of 400 which is good, although not the best. People talk about low rolling resistance saving gas but I think the longer wearing tires are, the better they are from an environmental standpoint. Think about the energy to manufacture and ship them, as well as the disposal problems. I know people with BMWs that the tires wear out in less than 10,000 miles; that must be having an environmental impact (not to mention a financial impact, $2k every year)
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

baumgrenze
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16273
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: LEAF Bridgestone Tires-Smaller Wheel & Larger Aspect Tir

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:30 pm

I hope this is a reasonable thread for posting these questions.

Has anyone seen an engineering/physics evaluation of Nissan’s reasons for choosing a 16” wheel, 50 sidewall aspect ratio tire combination? Does this choice improve handling and/or mileage significantly, or is it primarily a styling choice?

From what I’ve read in this thread, it would make sense, assuming I could find a set of 15” wheels with the same bolting pattern, that a higher aspect ratio tire on a 15” rim should deliver better miles/kWh, and that, aesthetics be damned, a wheel with a simple flat hubcap would be better than one with spokes. I appreciate I would need to maintain the same overall diameter on the road to get the same revolutions/mile. Engineers, correct me if I am wrong. I’m just a chemist.

When the Goodyear Integrities on my 2004 Prius wore out, I replaced them with Nokian i3 tires. I live on the San Francisco Peninsula, no snow driving of significance unless I elect to go skiing, and reasonable temperatures for the most part. I like the service I am getting from them. The wear index reads 5 mm, down from 8 mm when new, after 32,500 miles of use. The most worn of the Goodyear tires demanded replacement at 35,400 miles. This Nokian website suggests I should get another 8000+ miles out of these tires, or 40,000 miles of useful wear before hydroplaning becomes an issue.

http://www.nokiantires.com/faq#markings

Prius forum members quickly concluded that Toyota specified very low tire pressures for the GenII Prius. The sticker on the door post in my car says 35 psi front/33 psi rear. Received wisdom is that one gets better mileage and tire wear at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear if the tires on the car can handle those pressures.

Are the tire pressures recommended for the Nissan Leaf on the low side to optimize ride and noise over range and tire longevity? I see that the OEM Bridgestone’s have a maximum pressure rating of 44 psi according to the sidewall.
Thanks,

baumgrenze

2012 Glacier Pearl

scottf200
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: LEAF uses Bridgestone Ecopia tires

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am

These Prius folks keep quite a list.

low-rolling-resistance-replacement-tires-current-list
Current: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-201 ... -list.html

Older: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-priu ... -list.html

I'm extremely impressed with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max so far. Seems like a great compromise.

[update]Added the Gen III more current thread with the help from later post[/update]
Last edited by scottf200 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: LEAF Bridgestone Tires-Smaller Wheel & Larger Aspect Tir

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 am

I suspect it was for styling. If you look at an early Prius with its little wheels and tires, it looks a lot like a go-kart and I think they wanted to minimize that. The trend these days in vehicle in general is larger wheels and tires. Plus, I'll bet that the efficiency difference between 15" and 16" was so small that Nissan considered it a non-issue.

As far as pressures, my rule of thumb has always been to go 4 pounds over the sticker pressure, or to the tire sidewall pressure, whichever was lower... Going higher and higher gives a decreasing return in rolling resistance but does compromise the ride and, depending on the tires and vehicle, the handling and braking...

baumgrenze wrote:I hope this is a reasonable thread for posting these questions.

Has anyone seen an engineering/physics evaluation of Nissan’s reasons for choosing a 16” wheel, 50 sidewall aspect ratio tire combination? Does this choice improve handling and/or mileage significantly, or is it primarily a styling choice?

From what I’ve read in this thread, it would make sense, assuming I could find a set of 15” wheels with the same bolting pattern, that a higher aspect ratio tire on a 15” rim should deliver better miles/kWh, and that, aesthetics be damned, a wheel with a simple flat hubcap would be better than one with spokes. I appreciate I would need to maintain the same overall diameter on the road to get the same revolutions/mile. Engineers, correct me if I am wrong. I’m just a chemist.

When the Goodyear Integrities on my 2004 Prius wore out, I replaced them with Nokian i3 tires. I live on the San Francisco Peninsula, no snow driving of significance unless I elect to go skiing, and reasonable temperatures for the most part. I like the service I am getting from them. The wear index reads 5 mm, down from 8 mm when new, after 32,500 miles of use. The most worn of the Goodyear tires demanded replacement at 35,400 miles. This Nokian website suggests I should get another 8000+ miles out of these tires, or 40,000 miles of useful wear before hydroplaning becomes an issue.

http://www.nokiantires.com/faq#markings

Prius forum members quickly concluded that Toyota specified very low tire pressures for the GenII Prius. The sticker on the door post in my car says 35 psi front/33 psi rear. Received wisdom is that one gets better mileage and tire wear at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear if the tires on the car can handle those pressures.

Are the tire pressures recommended for the Nissan Leaf on the low side to optimize ride and noise over range and tire longevity? I see that the OEM Bridgestone’s have a maximum pressure rating of 44 psi according to the sidewall.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Engineering”