drees

Re: Leaf transplant / organ donor feasibility?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:59 pm

Here is someone on Ecomodder working to put a LEAF drivetrain into an Insight:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... 30966.html
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

miscrms

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks drees, I had seen the original posts a while back but not the latest updates! Nice project!

Rob

minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Was just on ecomodder after a long absence and found this link in the insight thread. Very interesting, I am also very interested in your results because as I've thought about for my leafs retirement putting it in the mini which is also about 48" wide. I think I'd use the rear though, probably stick with the stock mini front subframe as others have put them in the rear for dual engine awd.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

leaf4me
Delivery Date: 17 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 17131

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 am

The EV TV guys have been spending their time lately on reverse engineering the (CAN) interfaces to OEM EV components so that they can be used in conversions. The LEAF drivetrain is one of their targets. You might want to checkout their efforts and/or contact them. http://evtv.me/

miscrms

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:58 pm

BTW, I've done quite a bit more work with the service manual and looking at DTC/failsafe dependencies for the various controllers. I'm currently tracking that effort in this thread on diyelectriccar:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 51458.html

Basically it all looks pretty feasible. It does seem like retaining the BCM is desirable in terms of avoiding problems with the security / immobilizer DTCs. That does mean you need to have a key, BCM, VCM, and security dongle all from the same car unless you have access to Consult for re-registering. LBC also has to be from same car.

I think the biggest unknown right now is the brakes. It seems like you can do without the Intelligent Brake unit, but you will lose regen. If you bring in the IBU, it remains to be seen whether you can forgo the hydraulic side and use the hydraulic brakes and master cylinder from the host vehicle, or if you really have to adapt the Leaf brakes into the host.

Rob

miscrms

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Looks like I got lucky! Bought a wrecked 2012 w/24k miles from Copart/Autobidmaster. Ended up being just under $7k with fees and shipping from WA to AZ. Looked promising, but you can never really tell what you are going to get with these salvage auctions.
http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/20215745/Photos?SearchId=0

Leaf arrived today, had low battery warning and 6 miles range remaining, but started right up and drove off the truck. Small number of minor DTCs, after clearing with LeafSpy no DTCs reappeared. All fluids seem to be holding level (coolant, etc), AC works fine. Printed a temp permit and drove (very slowly) to Nissan dealer 3 miles away, still showing 6 miles range. Tried level 2 charging, started right up at 3kW. Switched to QC, charged to 80% (49-188 GIDs) in about 40 min at 17-18kW. Battery showing 11/12 capacity bars. Drove to work with AC (~10 miles, 92F) with no issues, glides well, brakes straight, no wheel pull or vibrations. Still no DTCs after drive, ~60 mile range still showing and average >5m/kWh for the trip. Pretty jazzed!

Should be able to start testing out some of this theory on real hardware now!

Rob

miscrms

Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Here are a few pictures of the current state of my Leaf ;)

Still runs, drives, and charges :)

Next step is to drop battery, rewire into 2x24 module packs, and temporarily re-install it back into the Leaf interior to test.

Rob

miscrms

Wed May 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Battery is out, now to open it up and start rewiring!

Rob

miscrms

Wed May 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Battery rewired into two 24 module packs using a second set of stock rear pack bus bars, mounting plates and bolts, with the modules and bms looms from the front left/right sub packs.

Back up on jack stands, front seats out, floor cover coming out next so I can cut an access hole into the passenger footwell to pass the HV connector into the passenger compartment. Then will reconnect the re-wired battery inside the vehicle to make sure everything still comes up correctly, and proceed to testing on removing more controllers to simulate the final installation in the host vehicle.

tractioninc

Wed May 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Awesome work, thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.
Kia Soul EV, Mazda MX-5 turbo, BMW M3

Return to “Engineering”