jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: how is cooling air ducted around the leafs battery; ideas for augmented cooling

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Brenthasty wrote:to reduce the hot airflow warming your battery on hot days, make some simple foam plugs that can partially block the grille. leave yourself about a 1' gap in the middle for the airflow to the cabin AC

Could you post a photo of this on a Leaf? I'm trying to visualise what it might look like but unless the foam is painted the same color as the car I'd have to think it might stick out like a sore thumb. Are you using white flexible closed cell foam? I can't imagine one would want open cell foam or even the white or pink rigid foam, but I don't know.
Note my state licence plate covers the top half of about the center 1' of the opening I believe your talking about, would it still be sufficient to just leave that foot open or might I need more because of the licence plate?
Lastly, I plan on using this more to keep out the 0F air when it gets cold(like people do with cardboard on a ICE vehicle) but are you saying it's OK to leave this on in the hot? I'd think doing so may block the needed air for the air conditioner......do you simply not use the A/C when it gets hot?

One more question, if this air duct is for both cooling the battery and cooling the A/C condenser, I'd have to believe running the A/C in the summer would greatly heat the air that later cools the battery, I know holding your hand behind a radiator/condenser coil on a ICE car results in very hot air. Now maybe most of this is from the radiator but I'd have to believe some is also from the A/C condenser.....talk about a poor design, cool the cabin and warm the battery even more than it might normally be :?
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: how is cooling air ducted around the leafs battery; ideas for augmented cooling

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Most of the heat under the hood in an ICE vehicle comes from waste engine and exhaust heat. I can hold my hand on anything under the hood of the LEAF after running the A/C in traffic in Phoenix on a summer afternoon.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 am

jjeff wrote:Lastly, I plan on using this more to keep out the 0F air when it gets cold(like people do with cardboard on a ICE vehicle) but are you saying it's OK to leave this on in the hot? I'd think doing so may block the needed air for the air conditioner......do you simply not use the A/C when it gets hot?

One more question, if this air duct is for both cooling the battery and cooling the A/C condenser, I'd have to believe running the A/C in the summer would greatly heat the air that later cools the battery, I know holding your hand behind a radiator/condenser coil on a ICE car results in very hot air. Now maybe most of this is from the radiator but I'd have to believe some is also from the A/C condenser.....talk about a poor design, cool the cabin and warm the battery even more than it might normally be :?

This is something I'm trying to understand too. So in the summer the heat pump is in AC mode and heats the air before reaching the battery. Then during the winter, the heat pump cools the air before reaching the battery.

So some people recommend blocking off the grill. Either they don't use their AC or Heat, or I just don't get it. It would seem to me to be better to somehow block the airflow between the motor compartment and the battery somehow. Or maybe even after the battery, if that would be easier, since that would also slow down or stop air flow around the battery.

I like the A/C system on the battery. I'm trying to think of ways to both heat the battery during the winter and heat it during the summer. In a dry climate, maybe water mist would work. :?:
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
Other vehicles: 1972 VW Super Beetle 1600cc dual port engine. 1985 VW Golf non-turbo 1.6L diesel.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I've been using a grille block for three Winters, now. I think it's less effective with 2013+ cars because of the lack of liquid cooling/heating, but it also doesn't seem to hurt anything. I whipped it up from a piece of scrap cardboard and a black plastic garbage bag. ;-)
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Engineering”