Glyndwr1998
Delivery Date: 23 Nov 2016

Gen1 Leaf battery box can round socket pinout

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:34 am

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Leaf Gen1 battery from a salvage yard.

I had previously purchased a Gen2 pack, and after reading ticktock posts leaf canbus with microcontroller, I made up a obd lead to attach to the battery box round socket a 12v supply, neg, canH and canL signals. for the use of a elm bluetooth adaptor and tablet or phone,

this is to enable the reading of the battery health using leafspy app without opening up the battery box and physically putting a volt meter to read the battery voltage, it s very quick test without opening the battery up.

So, sadly the gen1 round socket is of i different design, and i cannot now identify the pins i need to attach my home made harness to the battery round connector to see the health of the battery.

Has anyone got a pinout diagram of the pins that need to be connected to enable this to work.

Like i said, I know which pins to attach o for a Gen2 pack, but not a Gen1 pack

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Anthony

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Re: Gen1 Leaf battery box can round socket pinout

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:04 am

Let me know if these help:

2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

cliff
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022673

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:10 am

I noticed the drawing did not show that pins 6,7,and 8 are the ground for the LBC.

miscrms

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Here's the pinout of the harness connector that goes into the battery from the 2012 service manual. I believe its as viewed from the back/wire side, so this is essentially how the battery connector would look from the outside. Their pinout orientation conventions always confuse me though. You may be able to tell which pins are populated and match the pattern, or verify which pins are the 6,7,8 GND to verify orientation.

Rob

miscrms

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:48 pm

BTW if you poke around online a little, you can find several years of the Leaf factory service manuals available for free download from one of the Nissan clubs websites.

analyser
Delivery Date: 17 Apr 2016
Leaf Number: 021825

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Glyndwr1998 wrote:Hi all,

I have just purchased a Leaf Gen1 battery from a salvage yard.

I had previously purchased a Gen2 pack, and after reading ticktock posts leaf canbus with microcontroller, I made up a obd lead to attach to the battery box round socket a 12v supply, neg, canH and canL signals. for the use of a elm bluetooth adaptor and tablet or phone,

Anthony

Anthony,

What soft do you use/planning to use to read directly from the battery via EV-CAN ? Please advise.
There is a 2013 pack from the wreck sitting for a while - I am keen to go and check it out using your methodology.

From my experience:
LeafSpyPro only reads main CAN and not EV-CAN. Battery reports it's status to VCM via EV-CAN.

I've noticed that in 2010 Service Manual two pins at the battery plug are located differently from the 2014 service manual.

Glyndwr1998

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 am

Hi analyser,

On the gen2 battery packs, you can use an obd cable and make a pin harness to connect to the battery connector. I have seen this working on leafspy software. It enables you to see the battery voltage purely to see if it is healthy to put your mind at rest when buying it when the battery is on the floor and already out of the car.

I'll pm you a message with the pinouts for the gen2, I was trying to do the same for a gen 1 battery as I was offered one, but I bought the battery anyway and took a chance.
Thankfully, when I got the battery home and opened it up, the battery was in a1 condition. Phew....

Thanks.

miscrms

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:03 am

I believe there is a mode in LeafSpy that lets you look at the battery parameters when your OBD2 adapter is connected directly to EV-CAN. Assume you also need a 12V power source, but sounds like Glyndwr1998 should be able to get you on the right track.

Rob

Glyndwr1998

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:54 pm

This is the pin out diagram I have had from another member, I have made an obd lead up ready for testing of a battery, see pic below

http://s15.postimg.org/il8dq6nx7/pinout.jpg

For you guys out there that may know, I'd like to use the same lead for testing the gen 2 pack as the gen1 pack, so I can see the can-h and can-l pins, and the 3 negative pins, can someone shed any light onto what pins have to be located to energise socket to enable the obd Bluetooth adaptors to connect to the bms and leafspy access the battery voltage and cell data to check the battery for health.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony.

miscrms

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Comparing the 2012 and 2013 service manual, it looks to me like they kept the pin numbers the same just changed the connector. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the equivalent on the 2013 to the nice clear pinout / table posted above for the 2012.

Using your picture along with the 2013 EVB circuit diagram, it looks like:
1- CAN-H
2- CAN-L
4- 12V IGN
5- 12V BAT
6- LBC GND
7- LBC GND
8- LBC GND

This matches the table above for the 2012 as well, so it looks to me like you'd do exactly the same but map the leads to the pin locations on the 2012 connector from above. If you rotate it 180 degrees, it seems like it would actually look almost the same, the 2012 connector just has one less row and one less column on the center rows, but the location of the pins is actually very similar.

Rob

Return to “Engineering”