arnis
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896
Location: Estonia, Europe

Re: Charging while driving

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 am

ICE on the roof is not going to happen. It is usually tall. Also roof rack DOES have more air resistance
than almost any trailer. Due to the fact that smaller trailers are totally behind the vehicle.
We need one-gear ICE that propels trailer, not electricity generator that powers the Leaf.
And we need 15kW stable output at least otherwise trailer is worthless as it is not possible to travel 1000 miles.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

VitaminJ
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775
Location: Morrison, CO
Contact: YouTube

Re: Charging while driving

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Oh it would totally work! A 7kw dual-fuel generator is 250-300 lbs and you could take some of the weight off like the handle and wheels. It'd have to use 3 maybe 4 cross bars for that weight, but if properly placed and spaced the roof could take it. Locate the generator in as low profile box as possible, maybe mount sideways. Mount propane or gasoline tank up there as well (don't tell the DOT!). There you go you have L2 charging anywhere you drive.

arnis wrote:ICE on the roof is not going to happen. It is usually tall. Also roof rack DOES have more air resistance
than almost any trailer. Due to the fact that smaller trailers are totally behind the vehicle.
We need one-gear ICE that propels trailer, not electricity generator that powers the Leaf.
And we need 15kW stable output at least otherwise trailer is worthless as it is not possible to travel 1000 miles.

Your trailer will still have drag, the roof box possibly will have more aero drag, but it also has the benefit of being lightweight. Whereas you're towing a trailer which at the minimum is going to be approaching 1000lbs. If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

sendler2112
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:05 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2016
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:40 am

VitaminJ wrote: If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.

Your missing the point. EV's will eventually be the main personal vehicle on the road. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just take a trip in your own car? 7kW is not enough to keep up. You need 15kW continuous. Which is 500 pounds.
.
Is this the right vehicle? I did my Iron Butt 1000 Mile ride from Syracuse to Birmingham on my streamlined CBR250R last May. The weather was cold, foggy, rain, and cold again in the evening so I couldn't quite crack 100 mpgUS. But did average 115 mpg in the hot temps all summer.
.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... dler/78563
.
.
.
Image
.
.

arnis
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896
Location: Estonia, Europe

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:57 am

VitaminJ wrote:Oh it would totally work! A 7kw dual-fuel generator is 250-300 lbs and you could take some of the weight off like the handle and wheels. It'd have to use 3 maybe 4 cross bars for that weight, but if properly placed and spaced the roof could take it. Locate the generator in as low profile box as possible, maybe mount sideways. Mount propane or gasoline tank up there as well (don't tell the DOT!). There you go you have L2 charging anywhere you drive.

arnis wrote:ICE on the roof is not going to happen. It is usually tall. Also roof rack DOES have more air resistance
than almost any trailer. Due to the fact that smaller trailers are totally behind the vehicle.
We need one-gear ICE that propels trailer, not electricity generator that powers the Leaf.
And we need 15kW stable output at least otherwise trailer is worthless as it is not possible to travel 1000 miles.

Your trailer will still have drag, the roof box possibly will have more aero drag, but it also has the benefit of being lightweight. Whereas you're towing a trailer which at the minimum is going to be approaching 1000lbs. If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.



You don't understand engineering.
First of all you raise the center of mass catastrophically.
Secondly you lose 300lbs load capacity. You get more drag.
ICE engines are USUALLY vertical.

And you need 50hp at least due to massive electrical losses.
Also a lot of equipment more to handle the electrical stuff.

NOT going to happen. Trailer is much simpler. Safer.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

VitaminJ
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775
Location: Morrison, CO
Contact: YouTube

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 am

sendler2112 wrote:
VitaminJ wrote: If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.

Your missing the point. EV's will eventually be the main personal vehicle on the road. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just take a trip in your own car? 7kW is not enough to keep up. You need 15kW continuous. Which is 500 pounds.
.
Is this the right vehicle? I did my Iron Butt 1000 Mile ride from Syracuse to Birmingham on my streamlined CBR250R last May. The weather was cold, foggy, rain, and cold again in the evening so I couldn't quite crack 100 mpgUS. But did average 115 mpg in the hot temps all summer.
.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... dler/78563
.
.
.
Image
.
.

Haha! Wow. Yes EV cars will eventually (and in the case of Tesla already are) be capable of long journeys just as conveniently as ICE cars. What does that have to do with a DIY generator hack to an existing car? What does an ICE motorcycle have to do with hybrid electric vehicles? From your hypermiling experience you should know that 7kw is plenty to propel a Leaf down the road at plenty of speed.

arnis wrote:
VitaminJ wrote:Oh it would totally work! A 7kw dual-fuel generator is 250-300 lbs and you could take some of the weight off like the handle and wheels. It'd have to use 3 maybe 4 cross bars for that weight, but if properly placed and spaced the roof could take it. Locate the generator in as low profile box as possible, maybe mount sideways. Mount propane or gasoline tank up there as well (don't tell the DOT!). There you go you have L2 charging anywhere you drive.

arnis wrote:ICE on the roof is not going to happen. It is usually tall. Also roof rack DOES have more air resistance
than almost any trailer. Due to the fact that smaller trailers are totally behind the vehicle.
We need one-gear ICE that propels trailer, not electricity generator that powers the Leaf.
And we need 15kW stable output at least otherwise trailer is worthless as it is not possible to travel 1000 miles.

You don't understand engineering.
First of all you raise the center of mass catastrophically.
Secondly you lose 300lbs load capacity. You get more drag.
ICE engines are USUALLY vertical.

And you need 50hp at least due to massive electrical losses.
Also a lot of equipment more to handle the electrical stuff.

NOT going to happen. Trailer is much simpler. Safer.


Ummm this generator is 7.5kw (that's electrical ouput so you will get 100% of 7.5kw) and can be mounted sideways with the frame removed, total footprint is only 28 inches wide 18 inches tall. This one is also only 200lbs which can be reduced:
http://apelectric.com/all-generators/po ... AlrL8P8HAQ

Also it's only $800, let's see the pricetag on your 15kw generator.

There is no other "equipment" needed. You take your 7.5kw generator, you fill it up with gas, and you plug in your EVSE.

You want to talk about spoiled handling? Add a 1000lbs trailer to your Leaf ahahahahahaha. For 1000 miles you take a Tesla, you take an ICE car, or you wait 5-10 years for the next gen EVs.

My solution would let you travel 200 miles per charge, further if you are conservative, and would charge up your vehicle in 4 hours anywhere you parked it. Perfect for exploring the wilderness, camping in the mountains, visiting national parks, etc. and you can explore the city and park in a normal parking spot and use a drive-through. It would probably also only take up half the interior space of the roof box, the rest is free storage, or fuel for the generator.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5763
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 am

I wish all this generator nonsense would stop. It's a terrible solution no matter how it's done and battery tech and charging is advancing fast to make it all moot. When EVs have cheap 300 mile plus range there will still be people wanting generators.

arnis
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896
Location: Estonia, Europe

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:40 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I wish all this generator nonsense would stop. It's a terrible solution no matter how it's done and battery tech and charging is advancing fast to make it all moot. When EVs have cheap 300 mile plus range there will still be people wanting generators.


This is why I said pusher trailer. Makes more sense if done properly :lol:
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

VitaminJ
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775
Location: Morrison, CO
Contact: YouTube

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:18 pm

arnis wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:I wish all this generator nonsense would stop. It's a terrible solution no matter how it's done and battery tech and charging is advancing fast to make it all moot. When EVs have cheap 300 mile plus range there will still be people wanting generators.


This is why I said pusher trailer. Makes more sense if done properly :lol:

You better watch your mouth, if I ever come across a nice used 6-7kw generator for a good price I will actually build my roof box :twisted:
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED

PM me about converting your 120v EVSE to 240v

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5763
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 pm

arnis wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:I wish all this generator nonsense would stop. It's a terrible solution no matter how it's done and battery tech and charging is advancing fast to make it all moot. When EVs have cheap 300 mile plus range there will still be people wanting generators.


This is why I said pusher trailer. Makes more sense if done properly :lol:


I'll buy you a pizza the day a pusher trailer is commercially available in meaningful numbers. Add on devices to extend range are a losing business model .

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5763
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Charging while driving

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 pm

How about a generator on the back wheels that charges the battery while you drive and adds range the more your drive! Wait.... There are several threads on this already. Never mind.

Return to “Engineering”