User avatar
Marktm
Gold Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

CHAdeMO bi-directional

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 am

Appears that manufacturers of V2G equipment state that bi-directional DC current (via CHAdeMO) can only be obtained in 2014 Leafs and after. Does anyone know what change occurred (if this is actually true)? Will be a disappointment to me as an owner of a 2012 Leaf!
2012 Leaf SL; 36,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
Rural cabin with 6750 watts Grid tied PV. Off-grid solar Leaf charging capable (level II).

edatoakrun
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: CHAdeMO bi-directional

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 am

Marktm wrote:Appears that manufacturers of V2G equipment state that bi-directional DC current (via CHAdeMO) can only be obtained in 2014 Leafs and after....


Source?

Nissan has been demonstrating using the LEAF as a (CHAdeMO accessable) power source since ~2011, IIRC.
no condition is permanent

SageBrush
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: CHAdeMO bi-directional

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 am

A product is offered in Japan only so far as I know. Perhaps that is changing ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10025
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: CHAdeMO bi-directional

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:32 pm

The actual V2G spec wasn't officially release until 27 March 2017.

It would be doubtful anything previously built will work with anything except some Nissan branded product.

User avatar
Marktm
Gold Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Re: CHAdeMO bi-directional

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
Marktm wrote:Appears that manufacturers of V2G equipment state that bi-directional DC current (via CHAdeMO) can only be obtained in 2014 Leafs and after....


Source?

Nissan has been demonstrating using the LEAF as a (CHAdeMO accessable) power source since ~2011, IIRC.


I was looking into the V2H offering from Setec Power (China). I went back to the original statement from them - that the 2013 and after Leaf that will work with their 3kw "home" unit via the CHAdeMO connection - but not the 2011/2012.
2012 Leaf SL; 36,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
Rural cabin with 6750 watts Grid tied PV. Off-grid solar Leaf charging capable (level II).

russellv
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Jul 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: CHAdeMO bi-directional

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Regarding the Setec Power V2H system, I accidentally bought two. Apparently I'm not clever enough to use Alibaba.com correctly. Anyone have interest in buying my second one? Around $3K with shipping. It is only 220V AC output though, so can only handle universal charging devices (most phones and laptops). Don't expect to be able to plug in your fridge.

But so far the first one works well.

Also, I can verify that only MY2013 and newer works with V2H in US/EU markets.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1447
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: CHAdeMO bi-directional

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am

russellv wrote:Regarding the Setec Power V2H system, I accidentally bought two. Apparently I'm not clever enough to use Alibaba.com correctly. Anyone have interest in buying my second one? Around $3K with shipping. It is only 220V AC output though, so can only handle universal charging devices (most phones and laptops). Don't expect to be able to plug in your fridge.

But so far the first one works well.

Also, I can verify that only MY2013 and newer works with V2H in US/EU markets.


What is the power output rating of the extra unit you have? I assume 220V, 50 Hz (or would it be 240V, 60 Hz?) so it would probably work for 240V appliances that are not frequency dependent, but how many watts?
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “Engineering”