Markokk888
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2017

Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:11 am

Is it possible to replace the nissan leaf original small 12v battery with a bigger capacity one from the petrol or diesel car ?
or the car will somehow struggle with the regular car battery ?

jjeff
Posts: 1676
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:22 pm

It will work just fine, I ended up with the OEM sized 51R Optima for a replacement but if I were going with a regular lead acid I'd have picked the largest one that would have fit under the hood and between the hold-downs.
Others have gone with a much smaller battery and they seem to work OK too, just not as much as reserve capacity if you accidentally leave something on or park the car for an extended period of time.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Markokk888
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2017

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Well thats the point i want to leave something on.

cwerdna
Posts: 7915
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:31 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18129&p=439206#p439206 replaced the 12 volt with a larger one meant for a Nissan Rogue.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

arnis
Posts: 878
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896
Location: Estonia, Europe

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:47 am

Bigger battery doesn't fix a thing.
Just replace it with cheap appropriate battery.
The cheaper the battery, the better :)
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

Leaf15
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 am

Replaced with exact fit 12V 46Ah 650A Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery LiFePO4 and never looked back. Always 13.35V when parked.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

LeftieBiker
Posts: 8901
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm

arnis wrote:Bigger battery doesn't fix a thing.
Just replace it with cheap appropriate battery.
The cheaper the battery, the better :)


There is evidence that higher capacity batteries charge better in the Leaf than the OEM size.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Markokk888
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2017

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:08 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
arnis wrote:Bigger battery doesn't fix a thing.
Just replace it with cheap appropriate battery.
The cheaper the battery, the better :)


There is evidence that higher capacity batteries charge better in the Leaf than the OEM size.

Well it's very logical because that small battery always charging when the car is on or at the charging station. So why not have some additional capacity and use it for example for charging a laptop or something like that.. i don't always like to leave my car running when i want to use 12v accessories.. so the additional capacity is very good idea for that.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 8901
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Markokk888 wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
arnis wrote:Bigger battery doesn't fix a thing.
Just replace it with cheap appropriate battery.
The cheaper the battery, the better :)


There is evidence that higher capacity batteries charge better in the Leaf than the OEM size.

Well it's very logical because that small battery always charging when the car is on or at the charging station. So why not have some additional capacity and use it for example for charging a laptop or something like that.. i don't always like to leave my car running when i want to use 12v accessories.. so the additional capacity is very good idea for that.


Actually, it goes more like this: the Leaf stops charging the OEM battery too soon because it reaches the predetermined voltage too quickly, while it is still undercharged. The bigger batteries stay at a lower voltage much longer as they soak up charge, so the car keeps charging them for much longer. We've speculated for years that the Leaf was designed for either a lithium 12 volt battery or an AGM unit, but the company cheaped out when it went into production and just used a small starting battery instead.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

arnis
Posts: 878
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896
Location: Estonia, Europe

Re: Replace small 12v battery to regular one.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:58 am

Easy fix is to disconnect current sensor and all you guys will be happy with OEM battery
being heavily charged like with good ol' gasoline car.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

Return to “Engineering”