Picture of Internal Layout

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfotos

Here is a picture of the internal layout of what I take to be the on board charger and the electric motor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nissanev/4463506271/in/photostream/

This is one of a set of 10 pictures apparently from March 2010.

The picture before this one in the set is a very nice closeup of one module from the battery pack. The + and - connections have wires attached, and the more-centered port, probably for monitoring the enclosed cells, is unused in this picture. Note how the module is designed to "nest" closely together as the modules are stacked.

garygid said:
This is one of a set of 10 pictures apparently from March 2010.

The picture before this one in the set is a very nice closeup of one module from the battery pack. The + and - connections have wires attached, and the more-centered port, probably for monitoring the enclosed cells, is unused in this picture. Note how the module is designed to "nest" closely together as the modules are stacked.

4464283472_7a35643c55_o_d.jpg

Gavin

It appears the motor and transaxle are integrated and the inverter/motor are water cooled as expected. There seems to be some pack components in the front end of the car and after cooling parts, half shafts and the like there should be quite a bit of empty space after accessories. Too bad we won't get the chrome package.

EVDRIVER said:
It appears the motor and transaxle are integrated and the inverter/motor are water cooled as expected. There seems to be some pack components in the front end of the car and after cooling parts, half shafts and the like there should be quite a bit of empty space after accessories. Too bad we won't get the chrome package.

Better look at the motor and transaxle ...

4415288052_4bd5bf9b5d_b.jpg

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:

Better look at the motor and transaxle ...

4415288052_4bd5bf9b5d_b.jpg

Yep- integrated casting with half shafts off the back, of course there is a split on the right to separate the two but it is a unified design. EV drives are quite simple.

garygid said:
Is it likely that there is just one gear (perhaps 10:1 ratio) to connect the motor to the differential behind it?

A very high probability, very high. More than one would not make much sense, it's like every other commercial EV, simple and reliable if constructed properly. I hope they make one with the same drive in a compact two-door for city use! The Leaf should handle quite well with the pack below the seats and the low motor CG, the inverter is inconsequential in the equation as it does not weigh much. With good suspension and sticky (not efficient) tires it would handle extremely well.

garygid said:
Presumably, they would include a "standard" limited-slip feature in the differential.

For the power in the motor LSD is not really needed. I had a FWD EV with no LSD and 300 ft lbs of torque and no issue. Since power is delivered better than an ICE with high RPM clutch action it is not needed.

With no "limited slip" differential, if one wheel is off the road, ... essentially no drive to the other wheel, ... unless the "anti-skid" system PROPERLY detects the situation and applies brakes to the spinning wheel.

garygid said:
With no "limited slip" differential, if one wheel is off the road, ... essentially no drive to the other wheel, ... unless the "anti-skid" system PROPERLY detects the situation and applies brakes to the spinning wheel.

Gary, please name several cars with FWD that have LSD and under 200 HP as a standard feature. MINI has no LSD and it is an option few have or even understand. I have had my MINI wheels way off the ground. Are you planning to go up fire trails and over logs? I had a FWD EV with over 250 HP 275 ft lbs of torque over 140 KW to the motor with no issues of any kind, even under FULL throttle and I'm talking slipping a engaged racing clutch at times. The leaf has reasonable power but it's not going to NEED LSD. Are you rally driving your Prius again? That's not good for your MPG you know:)

LSD=cost and weight and sometimes a bad trip:) If they want to bump the motor up I will be glad to pay for the cost of both!

EVDRIVER said:
please name several cars with FWD that have LSD and under 200 HP as a standard feature.

Hmm, I can name one car that falls under this criteria. The Acura Integra Type R. FWD, LSD and 195HP. I have one in the garage, but the Leaf might replace it in December.

Back