Are you going to keep a driving log?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I am, so I can get a good idea of how driving differently affects remaining charge and get comparison data for judging how the battery pack is holding up on a year-on-year basis. That should be fairly easy for me because I do the same commute every day, with hardly ever a deviation.

I was, at first, thinking the first few months only, but then realized it would be a good idea to carry the data collection through the course of both a winter and a summer, to see how cold and hot weather affect.

I plan on it as well.

I'm also guessing that Nissan will be keeping close tabs on our mileage, charging, and battery status. We might even have to sign something at delivery authorizing them the ability to track how far we go, how often we charge, things like that. It's an enormous amount of field data that they can utilize. I, for one, and not opposed to that. What do I have to hide?? My late night runs to Crispy Creme? :lol:

Jimmydreams said:
I plan on it as well.

I'm also guessing that Nissan will be keeping close tabs on our mileage, charging, and battery status. We might even have to sign something at delivery authorizing them the ability to track how far we go, how often we charge, things like that. It's an enormous amount of field data that they can utilize. I, for one, and not opposed to that. What do I have to hide?? My late night runs to Crispy Creme? :lol:

I was thinking you would have to do that IF you're part of the EV Project. Are you?

I've not been invited, at least not so far. Though I would be thrilled to be (for a free charger if nothing else!).

Edit: Jimmy, I also have a question about your PV system...do you know how many kwh you were using before the system went in? Would you also have these guys do another system for you, or recommend them to others?

Jimmydreams said:
...It's an enormous amount of field data that they can utilize. I, for one, and not opposed to that. What do I have to hide?? My late night runs to Crispy Creme? :lol:
Actually, as the car becomes more anthropomorphized, I expect you'll be getting a text on your phone... "what, no Krispy Kreme run tonight Jimmy?"
It'll be like my dog that expects his routines to stay intact no matter what.

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:
I plan on it as well.

I was thinking you would have to do that IF you're part of the EV Project. Are you?

I've not been invited, at least not so far. Though I would be thrilled to be (for a free charger if nothing else!).

Edit: Jimmy, I also have a question about your PV system...do you know how many kwh you were using before the system went in? Would you also have these guys do another system for you, or recommend them to others?

I'm on the reservation list, if that's what you mean. I think I'm in the EV Project.... :?:

As for my solar. I'd have to dig through my records to see what I was using before. I WILL say this: we designed my system to generate 95+% of my electric needs. It generated SO much more than what I was using that I installed central A/C to use up the extra juice. (until this year, SDG&E didn't pay you for any extra generation). I generate surplus energy generally in March-April-May-June. July and August I turn on the A/C a little, then back to surpluses after that. This year, I expect to get a check from SDG&E for my surplus. :D

The company that did my install was Clean Power Systems, but they've been bought out by Potero. Potero tells me that they hired about 75% of Clean Powers staff. I HIGHLY recommend Clean Power. I have a list of Potero customers to call and see if Potero does the same outstanding install job the CPS did. I haven't called them. So I would give a somewhat guarded recommendation for Potero. I wholeheartedly recommend Sun Power as a manufacturer. Have you seen their new monitoring page? https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/res...36CD-E451-4CB8-B94D-57F0970C9D6F&type=address VERY nicely done, if you ask me. That's what my system has done since install January of '09.

If you have any more questions, just ask!

sparky said:
Jimmydreams said:
...It's an enormous amount of field data that they can utilize. I, for one, and not opposed to that. What do I have to hide?? My late night runs to Crispy Creme? :lol:
Actually, as the car becomes more anthropomorphized, I expect you'll be getting a text on your phone... "what, no Krispy Kreme run tonight Jimmy?"
It'll be like my dog that expects his routines to stay intact no matter what.

I can see that happening....complete with coupons etc. "What, no Krispy Kreme run tonight, Jimmy? Here's a digital coupon for $1 off your next purchase! Use code: FATGUY (expires at midnight)"

Scary, but maybe not too far from reality?!?!?

Jimmydreams said:
I'm on the reservation list, if that's what you mean. I think I'm in the EV Project...

If you were on the EV project, or maybe if you had applied for participation in advance of reserving your Leaf, there would have been a supplemental questionnaire for you to fill out as you came to the end of the reservation. If you didn't see this, it's likely you're either not, or are not in an EV project zip code. What I would do if I were you (and what I have done) is go to the EV Project website and sign up anyway in the hope that you might be invited after the fact.

http://www.theevproject.com/

The company that did my install was Clean Power Systems, but they've been bought out by Potero. ....snip.....If you have any more questions, just ask!

We have been wanting to get a PV system in for a while, and the addition of the Leaf means that it would be the perfect time to do it. I like your system and imagine it would be about the size we'd need to cover us for both the household (average of between 16-20kwh day) and the car (likely the same) combined. I'd also like to run the AC more in summer without our electrical bill doubling over other months we need it, as it does now.

Actually what I'd like to do is put a small supplemental system in for only the upstairs. We got somewhat screwed with our house....other units with the same configuration as ours, but with a bedroom downstairs instead of the oversize family room, got two AC units where we only got the one. So we can run the AC so that upstairs becomes tolerable but the downstairs becomes an ice box, which seems like a real waste of energy right now. As a consequence (aside from the extra cost) we usually don't run the AC in summer just to keep us comfortable upstairs!

I've been to that site and signed up just in case I wasn't on the list in the first place. But to be perfectly honest, I was in such a hurry to fill out the initial sign up screens (because I thought it might be first-come, first-served) that I don't remember if I filled out the questiionaire or not. Was it the one that asked about what the total amperage of my home electrical service is and where my breaker box is located in relation to my garage? I filled THAT one out.... :?

Jimmydreams said:
I've been to that site and signed up just in case I wasn't on the list in the first place. But to be perfectly honest, I was in such a hurry to fill out the initial sign up screens (because I thought it might be first-come, first-served) that I don't remember if I filled out the questionnaire or not.

LOL! Me too! Exactly what I did. I was like the third person to report on the Leaf's Face Book page that I'd received the email and placed a reservation.

Was it the one that asked about what the total amperage of my home electrical service is and where my breaker box is located in relation to my garage? I filled THAT one out.... :?

Well I didn't see that one, but it sounds about right. I think you've got it covered either way. Up here in the OC, the area itself is not officially part of the EV project, but I've applied anyway in case I also missed it or there are leftover spots.

I plan to keep a log at least until I feel I have a good grasp on the range issues and recharging locations, but I may have to keep that going until I encounter some less common situations, e.g., when I'm carrying four people and their luggage to an airport, or go over some local mountains, like to Santa Cruz. Range might be a lot different with a full load or freeway speeds on a steep road. I also have no objection to Nissan tracking my usage and mileage, but I would expect them to share their full (anonymized) results on a regular basis so that I can plan for such things as how long it takes for the battery to degrade in ability to hold a charge, range experience of most other drivers and different weather conditions, etc. Of course this forum is a good place for sharing that too, so we don't get just the company's rosy picture.

garygid said:
Maybe the Leaf will keep a detailed log that it will allow us to copy to a USB thumb-drive?
That would be good, but not enough. Their log would not tell you how much weight the car was carrying, weather conditions (headwind?), who was driving, etc.

Attaching voice comments to the Leaf log could handle the note-taking, hands-free, and allow time-stamped additions as one encounters varied driving conditions. Would be easy to program, and the microphone is already there.

I hope Nissan makes it easy for them to add these kinds of software "features" at any time, as they are developed. Nissan could even allow us to submit applications for their approval and use (including source code, for security).

I keep a log now with my Civic and have with all my other cars. It may have to be different with the Leaf though. Right now I make an entry everytime I fill up with gas with the following info:

total miles from last fill; gallons to fill; cost/gal; miles/gal; date

It sounds like these items won't be quite as meaningful with the Leaf. Anybody have suggestions as to what to track?

Danny said:
It sounds like these items won't be quite as meaningful with the Leaf. Anybody have suggestions as to what to track?

Since my commute almost never varies, except for the amount of traffic and the subsequent amount of time it takes to complete it, I was leaning more towards how driving conditions affected range and how range is affected by battery pack deterioration over the years.

However, if the single person HOV program is still going after January next, there might not be much point, since most days will be at mostly full freeway speeds.

My use varies substantially, both in distance and speed.

My area has many hills, and the local streets vary from 15 to 55 (approx) speed limits.
The freeway (one mile away) can have sections of 10 to 30 mph traffic at times, and 65 to 75 mph traffic at other times.

My distance is rarely more than 80 or 90, and about 75 miles (rt, almost 70 miles are on the high-speed freeway) to work, when I go there. I want to get a plug-in EVSE to use the 240v at work (might only be there 4 hours).

Non-work days can be 10 to 40 miles, or even an occasional "at home" day.

Actually, the LEAF would be better for my wife's usage, rarely more than 20 to 40 miles in a day. However, she has not yet "accepted" the LEAF.

garygid said:
My distance is rarely more than 80 or 90, and about 75 miles (rt, almost 70 miles are on the high-speed freeway) to work, when I go there. I want to get a plug-in EVSE to use the 240v at work (might only be there 4 hours)

My daily distance to meet is 60 miles, and I'm looking get that at the very least. If it won't do that at freeway speeds, either from the get-go or as the batteries get old, then I'll have to plug in at work too. 120v and 240v are both available here, and the car stays put for the 8 hours I'm in the office.

I fully intended to track gas mileage for my current car. Six years later, the little notepad is still in the glovebox, with one entry. :lol:

I'd love to be able to peruse the data, but it's not in my nature to be fastidious in collecting it. I'm hoping the car's built-in systems will do that for us, and in great detail.

I have a little Post-it note next to the steering wheel where I jot down the last three digits of the odometer reading the first time I start the car in the morning. I occasionally forget, or am too rushed, but chalk those up as equivalent to forgetting to plug the Leaf in overnight.

I also write gallons down there when I fuel up. When the Post-it note gets full I swap it for a new one and enter the data into a spreadsheet. At that point the spreadsheet automatically calculates the cost of driving my current car and estimates the cost of driving a Leaf, a Prius, or a Volt. At this point I have seven months of data and the Leaf is winning. (Actually, the Leaf is winning if I assume we keep my wife's Prius and use that for long trips, but of course I included gas for the Prius in that calculation.)

Back