sjfotos
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

EV's Too Quiet ?!

Mon May 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Seems like an outstandingly poor use of acoustic engineering.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ex ... 5861879533
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

EVDRIVER

Re: EV's Too Quiet ?!

Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 pm

There are more intelligent ways to address this issue and making an excuse for more noise pollution rather than removing it is the typical knee jerk response one would expect from interest groups and politicians. There seems there would be many creative business opportunities to selectively introduce warnings without constant noise everywhere.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

This is ridiculous. When a vehicle is moving at traffic speeds the largest sound generator is the tire noise. Many modern cars make more tire noise than engine noise when traveling at speeds over 25mph. Are we going to put these noise generators on all the cars that don't meet a noisy engine requirement? When traveling at speeds below 25mph the driver should have some responsibility to look out for pedestrians. I've been driving an EV for 15 years and have not had any problem with people not knowing that my car is running and moving except for a few times in parking lots where a little "excuse me" out the window has been more than enough to let the person know that I was trying to pass.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

darelldd
Delivery Date: 28 Jan 2015

Mon May 03, 2010 9:47 pm

As the EV1 had, so will the Volt: A simple warble tone actuated by pulling the high-beam stalk toward you. Simple. Effective. All that is ever needed. Other car makers would do well to pay attention. But the law makers seem hell-bent on adding this artificial stumbling block to EVs. The first time an EV runs over a blind person, all hell is gonna break loose. OK to kill ten's of thousands of people with gasoline combustion, certainly. But don't kill any blind people with quite cars, please!
Darell, the EVnut >http://evnut.com<
Email me: Domain is gmail.com. Name is darelldd@. Really. I hate PM.
2011 while SL with Chademo... new to me in 2015.

EVDRIVER

Tue May 04, 2010 8:11 am

darelldd wrote:As the EV1 had, so will the Volt: A simple warble tone actuated by pulling the high-beam stalk toward you. Simple. Effective. All that is ever needed. Other car makers would do well to pay attention. But the law makers seem hell-bent on adding this artificial stumbling block to EVs. The first time an EV runs over a blind person, all hell is gonna break loose. OK to kill ten's of thousands of people with gasoline combustion, certainly. But don't kill any blind people with quite cars, please!

It's a complete joke and 100 steps backward. Put sensors in walking canes that trigger noise and get stupid people without disabilities to pay attention. I think bikes and runners need noise makes as well, and wheel chairs of course. Noise is also a form of pollution but I guess that would require common sense. Anyone interested in buying fake tailpipe kits for their ev? If the Leaf had this Lise I would just install a hidden switch to turn it off.

sjfotos
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 am

I agree EVDRIVER. It does not seem to me that we have a shortage of noise in this world!
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 pm

We already had to defeat one such "noisemaker" related bill here in CA.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Tue May 04, 2010 4:28 pm

The right solution is probably to have a two-tone horn, or two "horns". One tone is a normal car horn subject to all the usual rules and restrictions on horns, the other the pedestrian warning noise (e.g. engine hum) that is softer and projected frontward as described, but only when activated by the driver, not on all the time. This second tone would not trigger a ticket the way leaving your regular horn on would. The second tone could be on the same button or stalk or a separate one. Maybe left foot "dimmer switch" position would be good since there is no clutch. It would switch to the regular horn if you're traveling more than the speed determined to be where the tire noise is already loud enough to warn nearby pedestrians. That is, if you're traveling 50 MPH and need to warn a pedestrian of your approach beyond what the tire and wind noise is, you need a real horn, not a soft little engine hum, so if you hit either button the regular horn would sound. I agree that requiring constant low noise is a ridiculous waste of electric power and may be an annoyance from a sound standpoint, but at least for the latter I think the soft tones they are talking about would not, or at least should not if made soft enough, bother the car occupants or anyone more than a few feet in front of the car. Fears of noise pollution are probably overblown.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue May 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Rat wrote:The right solution is probably to have a two-tone horn, or two "horns". One tone is a normal car horn subject to all the usual rules and restrictions on horns, the other the pedestrian warning noise (e.g. engine hum) that is softer and projected frontward as described, but only when activated by the driver, not on all the time. This second tone would not trigger a ticket the way leaving your regular horn on would. The second tone could be on the same button or stalk or a separate one. Maybe left foot "dimmer switch" position would be good since there is no clutch. It would switch to the regular horn if you're traveling more than the speed determined to be where the tire noise is already loud enough to warn nearby pedestrians. That is, if you're traveling 50 MPH and need to warn a pedestrian of your approach beyond what the tire and wind noise is, you need a real horn, not a soft little engine hum, so if you hit either button the regular horn would sound. I agree that requiring constant low noise is a ridiculous waste of electric power and may be an annoyance from a sound standpoint, but at least for the latter I think the soft tones they are talking about would not, or at least should not if made soft enough, bother the car occupants or anyone more than a few feet in front of the car. Fears of noise pollution are probably overblown.

It sounds like the EV1 already had this. I agree it should be the drivers responsibility to warn pedestrians and to look out for them whether in an ICE or an EV.

darelldd wrote:As the EV1 had, so will the Volt: A simple warble tone actuated by pulling the high-beam stalk toward you. Simple. Effective. All that is ever needed. Other car makers would do well to pay attention. But the law makers seem hell-bent on adding this artificial stumbling block to EVs. The first time an EV runs over a blind person, all hell is gonna break loose. OK to kill ten's of thousands of people with gasoline combustion, certainly. But don't kill any blind people with quite cars, please!
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 pm

OK, try this on for size...

First off, the noise generator is only applicable at low speeds, no? You know, city driving, cars turning corners, approaching crosswalks, navigating parking lots, maybe backing up. Right? So to begin with, the noise generator would be speed sensitive. Above say, 25-30, it shuts off. At slow speeds, you could select what you want your car to sound like. Depending on my mood, mine will be either "Gulfstream V taxiing" or "Model T". If I were 30 years younger it would "67 Mustang"... a total chick magnet!
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

Return to “Engineering”