DoxyLover
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:52 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9214
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:54 pm

abasile wrote:I just got around to reading about Phil's 6.7 kW charger upgrade. Assuming the price is not terribly high (could the kit be about $1000, or would it have to be more?), this would be of great utility to us! To me, this is much more interesting than even the LEAFScan (though I understand the latter is a prerequisite). Even without DC fast chargers everywhere, our LEAF would become significantly easier to take on longer drives. :-)

From what Phil told me at the Green Drive Expo, it's more like $4K! Most of that is the charger he buys, which is very high end.
2011 Brilliant Silver Leaf SL
Reserved, quoted and ordered July 11, 2011
Delivered October 16, 2011 (Na. Plug-In Day)

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10085
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm

When would you need the 6.7kW charger on a timer? For overnight, for either 80% or 100%, just use 3.3kW. For midday, hit the override and charge at 6.7kW.

User avatar
abasile
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:02 pm

DoxyLover wrote:From what Phil told me at the Green Drive Expo, it's more like $4K! Most of that is the charger he buys, which is very high end.

Ouch! No wonder it's better than the charger that comes with the car. I have to hand it to Phil for only selling quality products, though. We can hope that prices drop with time.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

TEG
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 am

TonyWilliams wrote:When would you need the 6.7kW charger on a timer? For overnight, for either 80% or 100%, just use 3.3kW. For midday, hit the override and charge at 6.7kW.


I don't like to charge past 80% unless I really need it.
But lets say I go to a movie at 50%, and want to get to 80% (but not more) during the movie...

Also, are you saying that the aux 3.4kW won't turn on unless you press the override button?

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10085
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 am

TEG wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:When would you need the 6.7kW charger on a timer? For overnight, for either 80% or 100%, just use 3.3kW. For midday, hit the override and charge at 6.7kW.


I don't like to charge past 80% unless I really need it.
But lets say I go to a movie at 50%, and want to get to 80% (but not more) during the movie...

Also, are you saying that the aux 3.4kW won't turn on unless you press the override button?


I don't have any idea how it works. In the movie scenario, it sounds like just using the 3.3kW charger would work there with the timer at 80%.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13327
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:51 am

DoxyLover wrote:
abasile wrote:I just got around to reading about Phil's 6.7 kW charger upgrade. Assuming the price is not terribly high (could the kit be about $1000, or would it have to be more?), this would be of great utility to us! To me, this is much more interesting than even the LEAFScan (though I understand the latter is a prerequisite). Even without DC fast chargers everywhere, our LEAF would become significantly easier to take on longer drives. :-)

From what Phil told me at the Green Drive Expo, it's more like $4K! Most of that is the charger he buys, which is very high end.


this is the norm for off the shelf EV components. limited use, limited quantities, etc. means higher pricing. hopefully this will change but right now the DIY EV'er is still a pretty rare breed.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TEG
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:55 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
TEG wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:When would you need the 6.7kW charger on a timer? For overnight, for either 80% or 100%, just use 3.3kW. For midday, hit the override and charge at 6.7kW.


I don't like to charge past 80% unless I really need it.
But let's say I go to a movie at 50%, and want to get to 80% (but not more) during the movie...

Also, are you saying that the aux 3.4kW won't turn on unless you press the override button?


I don't have any idea how it works. In the movie scenario, it sounds like just using the 3.3kW charger would work there with the timer at 80%.


Yes, I know it would obey the timer if I disabled the add on charger.
But what if the add-on charger is left on... would it shut off at 80% just like the on-board?

Using the movie example, lets say I was at 40% and I wanted to get to 80% before the movie let out, but not risk going above 80%...
Then I might want both chargers running to get the charge I need, but don't want the extra charger to keep going after I hit the target SoC.
Maybe not the best example, but my point is that there are scenarios during the day where you could want the full 6.7, but make sure if shuts off after it gets to 80%. Also you won't have to calculate "do I have enough time to get the charge I want with only the 3.3"? You would just run both and expect them both to shut off at the target SoC, and not have to worry about manually turning the 2nd charger on/off.
Sometimes you don't know how long you will be away too. Instead of the movie (which has fairly predictable times) say you were going to a party, and you figured it would last between 2 and 4 hours... 3.3 would be OK if it was 4 hours, but you would need 6.7 if you were done in 2 hours.
You see where I am going with this...? You don't want to be a "slave" to your chargers, you want them to work to your schedule...

Phoenix
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1511
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Could we put together enough Bay Area LEAFs as a "fleet" that wants the 6.7kW charger to install at a reasonably similar time en mass? What's the minimum number needed for a fleet?

TEG
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm

I think what Phoenix is saying is "Could Phil offer a discount if we arranged a 'group buy' opportunity?"

It can be a little tricky to orchestrate. (Probably need deposits to make sure the 'hand wavers' are serious.) Then Phil would probably need to approach the main component (charger) vendor and ask what volume (if any) qualifies for quantity discount...

User avatar
aries
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:35 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Who makes this charger?

Return to “Engineering”