planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Re: Wonder how the AC and brakes work while not moving????

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Aneelam wrote:I know someone who, on very hot (25+ C) days, runs her car air conditioner until the car becomes comfortably cool, then turns off the AC without turning off the fan or closing the vent. I think this is rediculous. I got to wondering, however, whether it would take more, less, or the same amount of energy just to run the air conditioner continuously than to turn it on and off while keeping the vents and fan going.
I'm certainly not going to disagree with Phil, who knows infinitely more than I on these matters, but I thought the answer would have been "the same". I assumed that is what the car does itself in Auto mode, i.e. cycle the refrigeration on and off as needed while keeping the fan running.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Wonder how the AC and brakes work while not moving????

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Actually, the AC compressor in the Leaf operates somewhat differently than many conventional cars. Its speed is varied by the controller based on demand. Thus, it doesn't cycle on and off per se, but just varies its speed when AC is needed, based on the load. When it is not needed at all or AC is off, it turns off completely, of course...
planet4ever wrote:I'm certainly not going to disagree with Phil, who knows infinitely more than I on these matters, but I thought the answer would have been "the same". I assumed that is what the car does itself in Auto mode, i.e. cycle the refrigeration on and off as needed while keeping the fan running.
Ray
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Engineering”