LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: range extender

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:45 pm

It looks a little cramped and I hate to have to scrunch down to enter a car, but in this case I think I'd accept one as a gift. ;-)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

donald
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2013

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:50 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:It looks a little cramped and I hate to have to scrunch down to enter a car, but in this case I think I'd accept one as a gift. ;-)

reminds me of an advert I saw once for a very expensive sports car. It read "... unwanted gift". I thought, firstly, who would not want it, and secondly, what sort of lucky *** gets gifts like that!!!

jawshoeaw
Delivery Date: 14 Mar 2013

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:31 pm

rmay635703 wrote:
ScottsNissanLeaf wrote:I am willing to pay anyone who would help me set up a Honda EU2000i portable generator so I can charge my car when I'm not near a charging station.

Anyone interested?

Thank you,

Scott

That genset is an order of magnitude less efficient than the diesel I linked to, believe it or not most NON-inverters are more efficient in terms of fuel use than a honda inverter. The ONLY reason an inverter is efficient is because it can idle down reducing fuel consumption massively at low loads, but on your Nissan it would need to run WOT or very close continuously, At WOT an old fashioned gasser is more efficient.

And even when run in this fashion you would only gain 7-35 miles on your range depending on how slow you go, really the 5kw genset I link to is "ideal" in terms of range benefit VRS fuel consumption. Much bigger and it weighs too much, much smaller and it doesn't do enough.

It's not an order of magnitude - it's about 25% less efficient. Works out to about 30 mpg - not great I admit. The small diesel gensets pencil out to about 40 mpg (or 36 mpg when corrected for carbon)

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:07 pm

donald wrote:reminds me of an advert I saw once for a very expensive sports car. It read "... unwanted gift". I thought, firstly, who would not want it, and secondly, what sort of lucky *** gets gifts like that!!!

My father bought me an Impala convertible 327 (used) when I was a sophomore in college. I didn't want it, because:
1) I hate convertibles - the wind/noise/cold/rain make riding very unpleasant with the top down so I never did
2) it was a gas hog and I didn't have any money to spend on gas
3) I could not drive it to school because I was not a senior and therefore couldn't get a parking sticker, so I rode my bike to campus
4) This was in lieu of paying my room, board, or tuition. That was the last my parents gave me for my education. I would rather have had the money. I did not feel lucky.

I kept it for awhile, but it mostly just sat parked on the street in front of my apartment except when I drove it to the grocery store. I sold it at the end of my junior year and had no car for my senior year. When I graduated and got a job I bought a 1969 Datsun 510 sedan brand new. That was a much better car IMHO.

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 am

Staque wrote:A 5th wheel "pusher" is definitely the easiest/cheapest way to go. There is a 1st-gen Honda Insight owner that made an electric 5th wheel booster: http://99mpg.com/projectcars/mikesinsight/
Too much time on his hands.
;)

Return to “Engineering”