Atkam
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2015

Re: Extra Battery, How to Integrate with 24kWh Traction Battery?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi,

I not calculating internal resistance, and min max C before start a project but just setup a battery 96S22p and working fine.
(internal resistance is lower in main battery then additional battery - this is simplify a lot of think)

some pic in link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z04PcmVkF34&t=1s

jkenny23
Delivery Date: 19 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 009318

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Nice work, I'd still be concerned about running your leaf below VLBW, if you take the 82% current sharing that I found empirically, you could be doing up to 10.8A/cell discharge in full throttle or 4.7A/cell charge in quick charge at 50kW. Have you been able to get any current measurements in-use to see how much power the extender pack is providing under normal driving conditions?

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Atkam wrote:Hi,

I not calculating internal resistance, and min max C before start a project but just setup a battery 96S22p and working fine.
(internal resistance is lower in main battery then additional battery - this is simplify a lot of think)

some pic in link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z04PcmVkF34&t=1s

You have been quietly working on this for some time, excellent work :D
Keep us informed ,
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 am

Alright, for the EU people who want an extender battery and don't mind giving up some trunk space, I've now just cleared all the major hurdles to commercialize my extender battery and offer something decently professional and not-immediately-explody. I'm gauging interest with preorders on this website:

http://muxsan.com/

If all goes well (and that is a big if, there is still lots to do) I'll be converting cars in Q4 2018. When all the kinks are worked out, I'll also try to sell the electronics, possibly the batteries (not quite sure yet) and have tutorials on how to mod your own car for non-EU people.

jkenny23
Delivery Date: 19 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 009318

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Very exciting. Still settling in after my move, but I'll be happy to be one of your first US beta customers for the electronics package (I'll be supplying my own battery and a few other components that I've already bought).

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:08 pm

mux wrote:Alright, for the EU people who want an extender battery and don't mind giving up some trunk space, I've now just cleared all the major hurdles to commercialize my extender battery and offer something decently professional and not-immediately-explody. I'm gauging interest with preorders on this website:

http://muxsan.com/

If all goes well (and that is a big if, there is still lots to do) I'll be converting cars in Q4 2018. When all the kinks are worked out, I'll also try to sell the electronics, possibly the batteries (not quite sure yet) and have tutorials on how to mod your own car for non-EU people.

Great news and congratulations! I'm not in the EU but I am interested in the whole concept and will be following your progress in the future. Best of luck with the endeavor and business. My 2017 Leaf will fulfill my needs for as long as I can imagine but I'm an EE and looking at retirement in a few years so I will need some sort of projects to keep myself busy. Your work is encouraging, exciting and is one of the few parts of MNL that is most useful and interesting to me. Thanks!

rmay635703

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:07 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:LEAFs also don't end up being scrapped they in many cases go to auction and are shipped in very large numbers to Russia, Ukraine, the EU, etc. The export numbers are incredibly high for used LEAFs, one single private party alone ships many thousands of cars yearly.

This is what really sucks, historically this practice was all but impossible and it kept used cars cheap with plentiful parts.

But do to trade imbalance and empty supertankers we now export (in some cases) over 90% of specific models of junk cars.

It means getting a junk car is many times more expensive than buying one that runs.

It isn’t limited to leaf, it’s almost everything under 20 years old.

To me it almost needs a ban in place,
it means that the age of a cheap car is getting older every day and it has wide spanning consequences since folks on the low end are ending up further down the spectrum at a higher price.

It went from bad to worse during cash for junkers where many cars were exported,
now it’s just gotten crazy.

Ah well

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:03 am

Around here, it's really gotten crazy. I recently had the opportunity to buy a crashed Leaf (front/side collision, smashed quarter panel, mashed front-right suspension and dented/scratched side all over. Cost: 8000 euros. You can buy a perfectly good Leaf for 9500ish, I bought mine for 9000. It's just not worth it, and they're obviously exporting it.

Noal

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 am

mux wrote:It really depends on where you draw the line. Want to keep the battery in tip-top shape? Blanket, PTC heater, pretty high temperatures. Want to just barely scrape by? Probably keep it insulated or in a garage at more than the rated minimum temperature (which is -25C in this case).

My understanding was that 18650 are rated for discharge at -25C.
But how can we change our batteries at -25C? Or -17C?
Or we must keep range extender battery always above 0C (in case car starts charging)

CarPortal
Vendor
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 405122

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:13 am

Hi mux and all,

We are considering adding a range extender to a LEAF and have most of the resources to do it (small capital budget, a shop with lift and tools, CNC machinist, software developer, competent master mechanic, access to salvage LEAF's to use as test vehicles, etc). What we lack is experience and we would like to tap into the combined knowledge of the LEAF community if possible. Also if there are components of your work that we can purchase to speed our effort along we'd like to explore them.

One question I have for you is why did you choose additional batteries instead of adding a small ICE range extender similar to BMW i3 REX design?

Whatever we do we will post and share the discussion here at the forum.

Thanks for your input. I've been thinking about this for years, and now just starting to do the research to determine if it's feasible.

Best regards,
Ravi at CarPortal

Return to “Engineering”