SciFi Paint; color chaning with temperature or photovoltaic?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceRaven

1- From a purely technical perspective, does anyone think would it be possible in the near future to have paint that is darker colored in sub-zero(Celsius) temperature but that becomes lighter colored in warmer weather?

(since lighter colors apparently help reduce the AC in hot weather, maybe darker colors might help warm up the car in cold weather?)

Ex: Dark blue in winter becomes light blue in the summer, charcaol grey in winter becomes silvery grey in the summer, etc.

2- Since there is photovoltaic ink that can be painted on conductive metal, does anyone think the car's paint could be photovoltaic with the whole metal body of the car acting as a solar panel?

In general, dark colors reflect less (absorb more) solar energy, but they usually radiate more, so a dark, warm car in the winter on an overcast day ... might lose more of its heat due to radiation.

However, the summer effects of black can be overwhelming.

I do not believe there is anything cost-effective at this point. But look at how LCD technology has changed recently. I can see in the not-too-distant future paints that are whatever color you want them to be, including full-motion color changes, active flame accents, all of that under computer control.

You can get in on the ground floor now writing the software that will power all of this! :geek:

Just think, a camera on one side with chameleon paint on the other... your vehicle could be nearly invisible. Great for get-away cars!

Back