Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Under the Hood Picture

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:10 pm

AndyH wrote:Because lead-acid is dirt cheap and reliable.

Yeah, but they could have saved a bit of weight with an AGM battery, as well as the corrosion (yuk!) and maintenance hassle of flooded batteries. Since they're taking a point of pride in the low maintenance of the Leaf, I can't imagine why they wouldn't spec a maintenance-free service battery.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Cost?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:57 pm

I met with these guys last Friday on a different subject. They are building several of these:

http://www.voltronixusa.com/batteries.html

into one of these:

http://www.fluxpwr.com/products/batteries/

The guy I met with said that the Flux Power batteries, with his Voltronix cells, are the ones that have been chosen for the Wheego.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 81,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

AndyH

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:08 pm

mwalsh wrote:I met with these guys last Friday on a different subject. They are building several of these:

http://www.voltronixusa.com/batteries.html

into one of these:

http://www.fluxpwr.com/products/batteries/

The guy I met with said that the Flux Power batteries, with his Voltronix cells, are the ones that have been chosen for the Wheego.

Really? Fluxpwr is using Thunder Sky cells? Gack!

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:34 pm

AndyH wrote:Really? Fluxpwr is using Thunder Sky cells? Gack!

That's bad? Honestly, I don't know anything about these things (and really don't care all that much, to be really blunt). It was just something that came up in discussion when they discovered I was interested in EVs.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 81,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

AndyH

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm

mwalsh wrote:
AndyH wrote:Really? Fluxpwr is using Thunder Sky cells? Gack!

That's bad? Honestly, I don't know anything about these things (and really don't care all that much, to be really blunt). It was just something that came up in discussion when they discovered I was interested in EVs.

Not bad at all - my motorcycle is running Thunder Sky cells. If I recall, one of the original guys from Aptera started Fluxpower. I thought they would be using higher quality and/or higher performance cells, that's all.

TS are a good 2C (200A from a 100Ah cell) cell and do all right in DIY conversions that use larger cells (~160Ah). By comparison, the cells in the Volt and Leaf are ~10C cells - more capable, lower internal resistance, lower heating during charge and discharge.

Thanks for the links - I'm interested in their BMS!

Andy

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they're using non-hydraulic electric power steering. Also, I believe in the Tesla the inverter functions as the battery charger. It has to act as a charger when regenerative braking is going on, and by its nature it would be beefy enough to handle more than enough charging current from the grid, so why not. Mostly, it's just a matter of software. It saves weight and cost. So I would be surprised if the Nissan Leaf doesn't do it that way too.
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

AndyH

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi John, I look forward to digging thru either the car or the service manuals (I kinda hope the manuals get here quickly - I want to drive the car not tear it apart to explore!)

The motor and inverter are all that's needed to handle both power and regen. The charger might use some common parts but should be a mostly stand-alone system. The US Electricar system, for example, uses the controller to invert power for regen, has a separate charger board, and uses at least some of the motor windings as a power transformer when charging.

Thanks for the power steering info. That makes sense, and fits much better with the underhood picture. The video capture I pulled earlier was from the left and the 'drivers side' coolant bottle was partially hidden. The new picture (thanks again Quixotix!) is from a more direct angle - and it looks like both coolant bottles are exactly the same - same full line, cap, overflow, main-line location, and mounting tab. Hey - I'm good with not doing PS fluid changes! :D

edit...spelling...
Last edited by AndyH on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

EVDRIVER

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 pm

The Leaf and Tesla charger designs are not the same, if they were the Leaf would not have a 3.3 kw charger but something closer to the 18 kw charger potential of the Tesla by design. The charger using the windings in the motor in the Tesla has has nothing to do with the regen. The Tesla's system is the brilliant ACP design and surpasses the Leaf in weight, performance and features. The Leaf has the bulkiest drive I have seen in some time, I would not doubt that the entire ACP motor, inverter, charger, 100A DC/DC and grid-tie weigh less than the Leaf motor alone.

blatt
Delivery Date: 26 May 2011

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:59 pm

AndyH wrote:Gear lubes have been capable of lifetime service since 1988. The Leaf will likely only have a reduction gear unit/differential and will likely only use a couple of quarts of gear lube. There won't be a service point with a cap under the hood.

This was my best guess when we first saw under the hood.

Any new informations on that? I am curious on how the cooling system works. Are there seperated cooling circuits for inverter, charger, motor and cabin? or are they somehow combined?

Thanks for any information!
bracteolae

Return to “Engineering”