User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10523
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 am

A Gid is roughly 75 watt-hours of stored energy... Perfect over time would no decrease whatsoever from new...

powersurge wrote:I have just gotten the obd2 module and the Leafspy Pro app. I have read all of the responses on this thread, but still have not gotten the significance of the "GID". I understand that at full charge, a GID value of 281 is the highest possible, but I still would like to know the value of this information as time goes on. Is there a table of "perfect" values over time that shows that the battery is in good nick? I am not an electrical engineer so I think a lot of us would like to know how we can interpret the GIDS in our own cars?
Last edited by TomT on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

User avatar
Ingineer
Posts: 2735
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969
Location: Berkeley, California
Contact: Website

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:16 am

75 watt-hours to be correct.
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9438
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 am

powersurge wrote:I have just gotten the obd2 module and the Leafspy Pro app. I have read all of the responses on this thread, but still have not gotten the significance of the "GID". I understand that at full charge, a GID value of 281 is the highest possible, but I still would like to know the value of this information as time goes on. Is there a table of "perfect" values over time that shows that the battery is in good nick? I am not an electrical engineer so I think a lot of us would like to know how we can interpret the GIDS in our own cars?


The Gid is actually more useful as a measure of available range, with approximately 3-4 Gids (or 1% of Gids) equaling approximately 1 mile of range.

Those of us who are more interested in capacity loss tend to focus on the AHr as our unit of measure.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

powersurge
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:35 pm

So my first numbers on my 2015 Leaf with 12,000 miles seems to be ok...???

GIDS - 291
SOC - 97%
other % - 103.6%
volts - 396
KWh - 22.6
AH - 62.25

SO, Is that a good baseline to have as the future "ideal"

thank you for your responses.

User avatar
DNAinaGoodWay
Gold Member
Posts: 2631
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:49 am

Yes, your initial numbers are OK, right where they should be.

GIDs are really helpful when you're driving around below LBW and the GOM goes to flashing "---". At that point, GIDs are the only numerical readout of remaining energy that you have.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new

@ 25 months, 25k, 267 GID, 56.88 Ahr
@ 29 months, 29k, 286 GID, 60.88 Ahr
@ 31 months, 30.3k, 274 GID, 58.39 Ahr

6.72 kW Array

TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:39 am

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:...
GIDs are really helpful when you're driving around below LBW and the GOM goes to flashing "---". At that point, GIDs are the only numerical readout of remaining energy that you have.

You also have Remaining kWh and % SOC.
On the 2011 Remaining kWh is most important to know because Turtle always happens at Remaining 0.4 kWh.
High Voltage Pack Disconnect happens very quickly afterwards at Remaining 0.3 kWh.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

User avatar
DNAinaGoodWay
Gold Member
Posts: 2631
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:02 pm

TimLee wrote:On the 2011 Remaining kWh is most important to know because Turtle always happens at Remaining 0.4 kWh.


Good to know. I've never allowed it to get to turtle, and wondered. I usually watch the big GID count when I'm on the low end, so 0.4 kWh would be around 5 GIDs? Shutoff just under 4?
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new

@ 25 months, 25k, 267 GID, 56.88 Ahr
@ 29 months, 29k, 286 GID, 60.88 Ahr
@ 31 months, 30.3k, 274 GID, 58.39 Ahr

6.72 kW Array

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:01 pm

mwalsh wrote:The Gid is actually more useful as a measure of available range, with approximately 3-4 Gids (or 1% of Gids) equaling approximately 1 mile of range.

Those of us who are more interested in capacity loss tend to focus on the AHr as our unit of measure.


Would not AH and watt-hours be directly proportional?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

cliff
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 10:36 am
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022673
Location: Federal Way, WA

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:28 pm

TimLee wrote:[
On the 2011 Remaining kWh is most important to know because Turtle always happens at Remaining 0.4 kWh.

This is rather curious as for the 2011 lots and lots of testing was done
to turtle to see how many gids where remaining. which varied from
around 4 to 8. Leaf spy energy remaining at least originally was based
strictly on gids. Has this changed to no longer being based on gids?
I used to watch the posts pretty closely, as I had built my own gid meter,
maybe I missed where this changed.

TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:47 am

cliff wrote:... Has this changed to no longer being based on gids?
I used to watch the posts pretty closely, as I had built my own gid meter,
maybe I missed where this changed.

Not sure it has changed.
I am just reporting the one parameter in LEAF Spy Pro that always correlates with Turtle and Pack Disconnect for my 2011 LEAF missing three capacity bars and has not had P3227 software change.
Based on several observations in past year and half.

For my LEAF GIDS is usually 6 at Turtle and 4 at pack disconnect.
Possible that GIDS and Remaining kWh are same with just units adjustment multiplier.
The slight GIDS variation at Turtle and Pack Disconnect could be just update delay or the precision of the value.
But every time Turtle has happened the Remaing kWh hit 0.4.
And Pack Disconnect it hit 0.3.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Return to “Engineering”