Mobile Telemetry via APRS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
You can go to http://www.aprs.fi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, plug in N4CVX-9 in the callsign block (upper right corner) then select how many hours of previously sent information you want. The system will give you a track on the map with data points. Now all I have to do is figure out where I can pull data in real time from the Leaf. The APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) device which I built and installed gives me at least 8 separate telemetry streams.

Ideas anyone or am I just spinning my wheels on a "too much time on my hands" project?

Regards,
Dave
N4CVX

I'm not really sure what you're asking for, so let me see if I have it right:

Do you want to pull your tracking data from this site down to the LEAF's NAV screen? If so, how would you want it displayed? List format? Map format?

Assuming I'm on the right track, what you want to do is more or less possible. That site has an API for which you can get data and re-format it into an RSS feed that could be read by the LEAF. Because it contains GPS coordinates it is possible to use the LEAF's NAV system to allow you to view (or set as a destination) any of the points it retrieves from the APRS server.

lpickup said:
I'm not really sure what you're asking for, so let me see if I have it right:

Do you want to pull your tracking data from this site down to the LEAF's NAV screen? If so, how would you want it displayed? List format? Map format?

Assuming I'm on the right track, what you want to do is more or less possible. That site has an API for which you can get data and re-format it into an RSS feed that could be read by the LEAF. Because it contains GPS coordinates it is possible to use the LEAF's NAV system to allow you to view (or set as a destination) any of the points it retrieves from the APRS server.

Hi Lance, no, the other way around :) I was thinking about finding 8 different data points available from inside the Leaf and then sending them out as near-real-time data via the 8 discrete telemetry channels which I have available. I can take 8 separate data streams from the car and then couple them to the DB-25 input of the APRS transceiver. I don't even know if this would be useful for someone, but might prove interesting.

Regards,

Dave

This project seems very cool.
You might be able to pull data from the canbus, which might be the only way....
you'll probably need to put together an arduino or something to read the canbus and spit out compatible data for your ARPS device.

jclemens said:
This project seems very cool.
You might be able to pull data from the canbus, which might be the only way....
you'll probably need to put together an arduino or something to read the canbus and spit out compatible data for your ARPS device.

That was what I was thinking, also. Another Ham (KI4PSR also a Dave) is an Arduino whiz and does programming for industrial control devices. I'm going to research elsewhere on the forum and in the Can-Bus area and figure out what comes out of which hole and then we'll do some programming.

Thanks for coming back to my message!

Dave
N4CVX

I have been sending limited telemetry out of my diesel pickup for quite some time (SSID -9). It is just the supply voltage (channel 1, divide by 10), and temperature at the APRS modem (channel 2). These are built into my Byonics Tiny Trak4.

I expect a number of useful things could be monitored by analog methods. Some strategic thermocouples and maybe a voltage divided/scaled tap of the main drive battery pack. I am not sure of the capabilities of your Argent Open Tracker+, but suspect they are similar to the Tiny Trak4.

I'd be interested in other methods of connection and conversion for sending telemetry out via APRS from the LEAF.

Brian
NX9O

edit: I have nothing good to say about the dealer I purchased from, so I deleted that info

BrianNX9O said:
I have been sending limited telemetry out of my diesel pickup for quite some time (SSID -9). It is just the supply voltage (channel 1, divide by 10), and temperature at the APRS modem (channel 2). These are built into my Byonics Tiny Trak4.

I expect a number of useful things could be monitored by analog methods. Some strategic thermocouples and maybe a voltage divided/scaled tap of the main drive battery pack. I am not sure of the capabilities of your Argent Open Tracker+, but suspect they are similar to the Tiny Trak4.

I'd be interested in other methods of connection and conversion for sending telemetry out via APRS from the LEAF.

Brian
NX9O

Adopting a Fontana Nissan 2012 Glacier Pearl, SL orphan
Expected arrival approximately 4/16/12

Thanks for the info Brian, the Argent Open Tracker has capabilities similar to the TT4 and is an all in one package. I have mine set to 5 watts. I am still researching, but it seems that having a canbus might be the easy way to fly.

Dave
N4CVX

Our SOC-Meter (the "GID-Meter") connects to the LEAF's CAN bus system at the OBD connector. It uses an RS232 port (DB9 female) for its optional Logging Port.

In the current firmwarw (F1.08), all of the CAN messages (from the Selected CAN bus) appear at 115200 baud (in 11-byte binary format, for compactness) for logging, usually "recorded" by my free CAN-Do program running in a PC. In CAN-Do, a "Dashboard" screen will even show some of the data in real time, while logging.

A small change to the GID-Meter firmware could add an "APRS Data-Stream" mode to send just the desired data values, at a selected baud rate, in the required format.

Give me an example of how you would like to have some "typical" data formatted. For example, how should ... GIDs, PackVolts, PackAmps, and RPM be sent to you?

281,394,-015,-10053<crlf>
(going about 94 mph backward :eek: )

Send as ASCII characters, 2400 baud, "7,n,1", with no flow control ... or what?

How often should it be sent to your APRS system, ... once a minute, once a second?

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
Our SOC-Meter (the "GID-Meter") connects to the LEAF's CAN bus system at the OBD connector. It uses an RS232 port (DB9 female) for its optional Logging Port.

In the current firmwarw (F1.08), all of the CAN messages (from the Selected CAN bus) appear at 115200 baud (in 11-byte binary format, for compactness) for logging, usually "recorded" by my free CAN-Do program running in a PC. In CAN-Do, a "Dashboard" screen will even show some of the data in real time, while logging.

A small change to the GID-Meter firmware could add an "APRS Data-Stream" mode to send just the desired data values, at a selected baud rate, in the required format.

Give me an example of how you would like to have some "typical" data formatted. For example, how should ... GIDs, PackVolts, PackAmps, and RPM be sent to you?

281,394,-015,-10053<crlf>
(going about 94 mph backward :eek: )

Send as ASCII characters, 2400 baud, "7,n,1", with no flow control ... or what?

How often should it be sent to your APRS system, ... once a minute, once a second?

Cheers, Gary

Thanks for the input, Gary (no pun intended, actually). I am at the salt mine right now but when I get home I will get the relevent info for you and post it herein. The APRS system has 8 channels of telemetry available to it as you can see by going to http://www.aprs.fi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and selecting my callsign N4CVX-9 and then when it appears on the map, click on info. That will open a window where you can see the various data including raw.

As for which data to be sent via APRS, I am not so sure, it seems to me that we have a wealth of information via the GID-Meter, so I believe it would be best to take the most significant or useful 8 data streams and send them. "Useful", however, is dependent upon the eye of the beholder. I am still thinking about what I would like to see and even if what I would like would be "useful". For sure anything which comeout of the end of a DB9 logging port can be sent via the APRS system. Model rockets, high altitude balloons, dog sleds, endurance runners, etc. all use the system. Our local Ham Club uses a set of 5 APRS "boxes" which I built and programmed which are selfcontained and which go out with disaster responders throughout the county.

Regards,

Dave

Back