Logging data from Leaf's OBD II port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoora

Hi All

I am new here, I am working on a school project, and I need to log the following data:
A) Vehicle speed
B) Rate of current flow (Amps) from or to the battery pack
C) Pedals positions
D) SOC

Is there anyway I can log this data directly from the OBDII? If not what do you recommend?

Thanks everybody

tamoora said:
Hi All

I am new here, I am working on a school project, and I need to log the following data:
A) Vehicle speed
B) Rate of current flow (Amps) from or to the battery pack
C) Pedals positions
D) SOC

Is there anyway I can log this data directly from the OBDII? If not what do you recommend?

Thanks everybody

The upcoming LEAFSCAN will likely do most of this, but I'm not sure about data logging. Maybe Phil will answer that.

Is this a new scanner that is supposed to come out? If I could the data on an port, I will be able to log it, I have a vbox and the adaptor that logs data to the SD card

The LEAFscan only uses that port, so I'll say yes. But, I'm not the guy designing it, nor have I physically seen it.

I suspect it will be a really, really good tool for those of us like me, and probably you, too.

If you need some of that data sooner, you could look in to Gary's SOC meter with the optional data logging port too.

tamoora said:
Is this a new scanner that is supposed to come out? If I could the data on an port, I will be able to log it, I have a vbox and the adaptor that logs data to the SD card

Do you need logs of many drives, or just one for your project?

I might be able to make a log that suits your needs, and post it, if that helps.

Try using CAN-Do and a Log file, and a Recipe file from:
http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/cando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:
Do you need logs of many drives, or just one for your project?

I might be able to make a log that suits your needs, and post it, if that helps.

Try using CAN-Do and a Log file, and a Recipe file from:
http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/cando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Gary

I need to log the following data for two trips per day, then I will download them from the memory card and start over.

The data I need to log:

1- Time ID / Time stamp
2- Vehicle speed
3- GPS coordinates (I think it comes in Longitude and Latitude in degrees,minutes,seconds)
4- Accelerator pedal position
5- Brake pedal position if available, if not brake line pressure is usually used
6- Ambient temp
7- Battery pack temp
8- Air Conditioner setting
9- SOC
10- Battery current charge/discharge (Amps)

Also I have another question, How is all this data be synchronized in the logfile? I know the CANbus updates data in different frequencies.

If your device will help me to log this data in a synchronized manner, I will be happy to buy one. I will also give you credit in any publications if that's something that interests you.

Also one last thing, can I log the data using DEWESoft - the DEWETRON data logging software? I think this will make my life easier synchronizing the data between your device and my GPS tracking system.

Thanks

Items 1, 2, 9, and 10 we have.

Items 4-8 are not yet included as "discovered" or "found" in my Recipe file. However, Ingineer probably knows where most of that data is in the messages from the LEAF's three can busses.

Finding the desired data is the difficult part, unless you have "inside" information.

GPS: I do not know for sure, but I think that the car's GPS position is not present on the LEAF's CAN busses ... but I could be wrong.

However, I could easily add reading and logging GPS Lat, Lon, and Alt (and maybe Date and Time) from the "NEMA?" messages coming in a 5th (virtual) Comm Port.

And, an external USB-connected GPS is easy to obtain. I have one here somewhere.

What do you need that CAN-Do (free) cannot do?

1. I am planning to add Log-to-File (not just to memory) to CAN-Do, to facilitate automated logging.

2. I intend to add Logging of an external GPS as a new feature.

garygid said:
Items 1, 2, 9, and 10 we have.

Items 4-8 are not yet included as "discovered" or "found" in my Recipe file. However, Ingineer probably knows where most of that data is in the messages from the LEAF's three can busses.

Finding the desired data is the difficult part, unless you have "inside" information.

GPS: I do not know for sure, but I think that the car's GPS position is not present on the LEAF's CAN busses ... but I could be wrong.

However, I could easily add reading and logging GPS Lat, Lon, and Alt (and maybe Date and Time) from the "NEMA?" messages coming in a 5th (virtual) Comm Port.

And, an external USB-connected GPS is easy to obtain. I have one here somewhere.

What do you need that CAN-Do (free) cannot do?

1. I am planning to add Log-to-File (not just to memory) to CAN-Do, to facilitate automated logging.

2. I intend to add Logging of an external GPS as a new feature.

4. 0x180, D5 ( D0-D7 ) - confirmed
5. 0x1CB, D2 ( D0-D7 ) - confirmed
7. 0x55A

What makes you think that EV:55A D2, D3, or D6
(of D1-D8) are battery temperatures?

I have an EV-CAN log of doing a QC from about 30% to 80%
where one of these goes down slightly, and the other two go
up slightly.

Might these be Motor, Charger, and Inverter temperatures, which
should all be close because they have the same cooling system?
One might expect a hot motor and inverter to cool somewhat,
while the charger might heat a small bit (because it is ON but
not cdoing charging) during a QC session.

Do you have PID formulas for the Android Torque application for SOC and battery voltage?

I've been using it (Torque + BT OBD2 scanner) on the demo PiP and my Ampera. Next week I'll be able to test Nissan Leaf and I'd like to do some videos like these in my YT channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AndY1ksi/videos?flow=grid&view=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndY1 said:
Do you have PID formulas for the Android Torque application for SOC and battery voltage?

I've been using it (Torque + BT OBD2 scanner) on the demo PiP and my Ampera. Next week I'll be able to test Nissan Leaf and I'd like to do some videos like these in my YT channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AndY1ksi/videos?flow=grid&view=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've asked about this app before and never got any response. I would love to know if it works as I have the exact same setup you do. Please let us know.

It worked with the demo PiP and it works with my Ampera. I'll report back if it works with the Leaf. So far, I've only found this formula:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5442#p126647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if it works or not, but I'm curious why is this information so hidden. I mean, there are members over here, that made a scanner to read exactly these values.

AndY1 said:
It worked with the demo PiP and it works with my Ampera. I'll report back if it works with the Leaf. So far, I've only found this formula:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5442#p126647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if it works or not, but I'm curious why is this information so hidden. I mean, there are members over here, that made a scanner to read exactly these values.

The OBDII standard ( SAE J1979) for hybrid traction battery is
OBDII PID 01 5B (Type precent Formula for torque is A*100/255) to get percent A*BATSIZE/255.0 to get kWh).

Don't know if the rules apply to a BEV, but it is what is what i use on my volt..

The Leaf is not OBDII compliant (it does not have to be, as it has no combustion engine), and thus it does not respond to the OBDII Pids. All the diagnostic information is Proprietary to the Leaf. In addition, even though the Leaf has a DLC3 connector just like other OBDII compliant cars, it is a non-standard pinout.

An off-the-shelf OBDII interface will not work properly with the Leaf.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The Leaf is not OBDII compliant (it does not have to be, as it has no combustion engine), and thus it does not respond to the OBDII Pids. All the diagnostic information is Proprietary to the Leaf. In addition, even though the Leaf has a DLC3 connector just like other OBDII compliant cars, it is a non-standard pinout.

An off-the-shelf OBDII interface will not work properly with the Leaf.

-Phil

Thanks Phil.. I guess I'm not terribly surprised as I presumed someone would have already done this if it worked. I posted here because someone suggested I should and I could not easily find the answer that i was not OBDII.

(I'll note the volt has second DLC3 connector that with added buses as well. )

Back