Connector to the leaf, SAE J1772 Level 1 an 2, TEPCO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dig

The nissan leaf, have to connector:
- SAE J1772, Level 1 and 2, for AC;
- TEPCO, for DC.

What are the characteristics of the connectors, Portugal? In Portugal the electrical network is 230V (AC).
What is the current for the SAE J1772?
What is the current and voltage for the TEPCO?
How make the connectors?
How is the communication between the connector and the supply post?
What is the "Home Box"? And how communicates with the electrical vehicle?

Thanks

I don't know if we have any experts here on this forum that can tell us about the European version of the LEAF. But I strongly suspect that the Euro version will NOT be using SAE J1772. The same may be true for the TEPCO standard. Instead, Nissan, will probably use a Mennekes IEC-based standard. But it would be pure speculation on my part to try to answer your questions, or the info would likely be wrong or subject to change ... sorry.

BUT ... WELCOME to this forum. There is lots of other information and discussion you will find useful.

But ... I'll try anyway :) Just keep in mind these answers are for USA.

Basically, SAE J1772 can be 8A all the way to 80A, from 120V to 240V. But for the LEAF, you most likely want to know about Level 2, which is: 240V, 30A. (It could be 32A, except for a technical detail in UL (Underwriters Labratory) listing.)

TEPCO, puts out a maximum of 500V DC, and 125 amps. But most stations will likely be configured around 400V. I am not extremely clear on these implementations, so it's just a rough idea.

All your other questions are Euro specific and I have no detailed info. Also be aware that early models in the USA will be limited to charge at 3.3kW using the J1772 port. That will double in future models, but for Europe could be 6.6kW right from the first delivery.

There have been a number of strong suggestions that 3.3kW is the 'international standard' of sorts for all current EVs. I don't expect that the Euro Leaf will have anything other than a 3.3kW charger on-board anytime soon.

I do know that the TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level 3 / quick charging is deployed thru parts of western Europe but I don't know if they're truly public chargers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAqMzbmf3D4[/youtube]

Welcome to the forum!

Where could I buy the connector and cable:
- SAE J1772, Level 1 and 2, for AC;
- TEPCO, for DC.

Back